Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new 140mm 29er air fork and considering the MRP Raven (or Ribbon).

Basically its a Ribbon minus the ramp control (uses volume pucks instead) and the PSST valves. I think everything else is the same?

Would I miss the valves? Has anyone used them on the Ribbon to release trapped air?

As for the ramp control, once I get things set I usually don't continue to mess with things and volume spacers have always worked fine once I get the correct number in there for ramp up.

Thoughts on Ribbon vs Raven? Worth the extra cost?

***Ride in WNC mountains and the fork will be going on a new Ripley.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hit the release valves on my ribbon air every so often and have never heard, felt or seen anything happen. I am fairly light and don't do anything more than about 3 - 4 ft drops and have yet to come close to bottoming out the fork (still tinkering with it after a year). I have the ramp control mostly only a few clicks --If I ever think about hitting some bigger stuff being able to quickly ramp up by turning a knob will be nice--but for me I would say I probably could have gotten the Raven . I would guess that unless you are heavy and riding rough stuff and bottoming out a lot you might be just fine with volume tokens as you say.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The PSST valves is something every fork should have, seriously.
Being content with bleeding lowers by poking foreign objects past the seals on $900 equipment just isn't right. It's Red-Green level of ******* technology.

Yes, I use them all the time just because they are there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raven info on MRP website states one difference from the Ribbon is: "a simplified twin-tube damper".

Simplified how? Noah can you elaborate on this?

Thanks

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Found it in towards the bottom of the first page in the Off-the-shelf Damper Comparison thread....

From @NoahColorado
Excellent Tommy Boy analogy.

Re: the Ribbon vs. Raven, the differences are crown, axle, rebound damping, air-spring, and PSST valves.

Crown: Both forks use the same crown forging, but the Ribbon's crown is bored for weight savings.

Axle: It's simple, there is no QR-style option for the Raven, bolt-on only.

Rebound damping: the Ribbon has a second, shimmed rebound circuit for better deep-stroke performance and recovery. The Raven has a single circuit, oriface style rebound damper.

Air-spring: The Raven uses our independent positive and negative chamber arrangement (which is a big plus over self-equalizing springs), but lacks Ramp Control. It does however feature adjustable volume (with our Huck Pucks).

Psst Valves: The Raven doesn't have them. To evacuate built-up pressure in your lowers you must do the zip-tie trick.

*edited because I forgot about the crown difference

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
It has a port orifice damper. $800 with a cheesy port orifice seems like a slap in the face. If it was $200 new that would be acceptable.

I can't imagine any scenario where that is a viable option.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has a port orifice damper. $800 with a cheesy port orifice seems like a slap in the face. If it was $200 new that would be acceptable.

I can't imagine any scenario where that is a viable option.
Ok. So what do you recommend instead of a ribbon/raven?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Ok. So what do you recommend instead of a ribbon/raven?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
What is your budget? what type of riding do you do? How aggressive of a rider are you?
Those answers will lead you to better understanding of what you need/want.

Are you specifically looking at the Raven due to price point? If so, look at the SR Suntour Auron or Durolux. You can get them much cheaper than the Raven/Ribbon and you will have a higher end damper that works quite well. If you are specifically looking at the Ribbon because of the dual chamber setup (air negative and positive) then you are pretty limited as that is pretty much only the Manitou products or Ribbon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.