Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put an MRP Ramp Control cartridge in my fork last night and had my first ride with it this morning. I immediately noticed what sounds like fork oil/liquid swishing around when the fork compresses. The fork felt fine on the trails and is holding the right amount of air pressure, but this liquid sound has me a little concerned. Was just curious if this is normal or not?

Anyone else have this problem, know what it is, or have suggestions for fixing it? Thanks in advance.

I had my friend compress my fork while I shot a video to help hear the noise. It sounds like air in the video, but like liquid swishing around in person.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Did you fill it with Ramp Damping Fluid before you finished the install?

JK, there's no such thing.

I can't really hear anything abnormal, just the damping circuits.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thank you both for the replies. I was a little worried that I messed up the pressure inside of something which caused the "weird" noise that I am hearing which might just be normal. Fork was completely silent before I tossed the ramp control cartridge in the night before this ride so I thought I missed a step or made a boo boo.

As far as service, the fork hasn't been touched yet, as I am just hitting a year with the bike. Like an idiot, I ran up my credit card debt this morning and bought a Charger 2.1 RC2 to toss into the stock Yari, so I got new fluids and SRAM butter to lube some things up. Should have gotten a seal kit at the same time, but oh well... I'll get to it sooner or later.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Hey, thank you both for the replies. I was a little worried that I messed up the pressure inside of something which caused the "weird" noise that I am hearing which might just be normal. Fork was completely silent before I tossed the ramp control cartridge in the night before this ride so I thought I missed a step or made a boo boo.

As far as service, the fork hasn't been touched yet, as I am just hitting a year with the bike. Like an idiot, I ran up my credit card debt this morning and bought a Charger 2.1 RC2 to toss into the stock Yari, so I got new fluids and SRAM butter to lube some things up. Should have gotten a seal kit at the same time, but oh well... I'll get to it sooner or later.
Nice... the Charger will be a nice upgrade from the MoCo damper. As for the wipers and whatnot, that is a super simple service that can be done at any time. I would suggest getting the kit from PUSH (full kit) that way you get the installation tool, wipers/parts and oil all in one.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I went to install the Charger 2.1 RC2, only to discover that it wasn't providing all 160mm of travel so I decided to remove it. When I went to remove it, the fork was sucked all the way down. After pulling on it, the fork suddenly release and shot directly into my chest, leaving a circular bruise from the top of the fork.

I took it to Fluid Focus in San Marcos, CA where Ryan figured out that there was air trapped where it shouldn't have been, which created all sorts of issues for me. The noise in the video is trapped air! He worked his magic on the spot, got the air to release then finished installing the damper, and what do you know!? the noise is completely gone. Monday will likely be the maiden voyage on the Charger and MRP combo. I'm hoping that it won't be too big of a headache trying to dial it in because the newfound adjustability will likely get complicated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.