Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MRP AMG Carbon + Bandsaw = no guide, only a bashguard. :)

Running SRAM XX1 on an enduro and like the idea of not running a guide, but wanted a bashguard. Nice set-up, and the cool thing is that if I should drop a chain for some reason to the inside, the chain will not get wedged between the mounting plate or "taco" bashguard. Chain fits between the chainstay and chainring, too.

Now I just need to go bash it over some rocks and logs! :thumbsup:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame
Motorcycle accessories Automotive exhaust Musical instrument accessory Silver Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You could of just left the guide on. It doesn't cause any drag, and will actually keep the chain on the chainring. XX chainrings are good, but not infallible at keeping the chain on. If you are looking for quiet, it's not going to happen either. The chain rattles against the taco....

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True. I run full guides on two other bikes, but I hate the noise the chain makes on the top guide. Also, once I had the chain somehow get wedged hardcore between the chainring and backplate, to the point I could not pedal- rare, I know, but it was annoying.

The XX1 chainring works great for retention and since I'm only running a bashguard, the backplate does not need to be spaced out to the chainring so as I said, in the off chance I drop a chain, it cannot get wedged anywhere. The set-up is crazy quiet- no contact anywhere. I also like the look of no top guide. :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Or the MRP version called the XCG...
Circle

I'm running the AMG on my E29 as well, but with the tiny 28T ring it sits so low that the guide taps the chainstay on compression of the suspension. A little protective tape keeps it from scratching the paint and the force is very low as it bends outward, but it's not ideal, so I may pull the top guide off now. If I was racing, I'd run a bigger ring and then the guide would sit in a position which wouldn't cause this issue. In actual use the guide really is silent, except in rare situations, but I've never understood people who get overly hung up on the minor noises from their bike. Pay attention to what's in front of you, because once it passes the front wheel there isn't much you can do about it when you're pinned ;)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 On the Bruiser, and the XCG. They look like great options, too. But I needed carbon bling! lol.

On the noise, yeah, way back in the day I ran a 2x9 with a bashring and no guide. Between the chain slapping the chainstay, hitting the crankarm, and rattling on the front derailleur cage, the bike sounded like a bucket of bolts being thrown down the trail. It's amazing how nice a quiet bike can be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.