Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
typically i'll ride phil's/ben's/kent's and decided today to give mrazek a shot for the first time. meh.

just nothing that exciting about that trail. I think i went half-way up, crossed a few roads.

anything i'm missing?

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
Tappoix said:
typically i'll ride phil's/ben's/kent's and decided today to give mrazek a shot for the first time. meh.

just nothing that exciting about that trail. I think i went half-way up, crossed a few roads.

anything i'm missing?
It's better if you start from Mt. Bachelor then come down it, giving you around a 30 miles descent. Metolius-Windigo rips into Happy Valley, then you hop on Mrazek. The lower half is relatively flat and dull, I agree, but without it you'd have to drop down to Skyliners Road or take a dirt road back into town. This summer we should start up high and do the Bachelor-to-Bend ride.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey Nat,

Nat said:
It's better if you start from Mt. Bachelor then come down it, giving you around a 30 miles descent. Metolius-Windigo rips into Happy Valley, then you hop on Mrazek. The lower half is relatively flat and dull, I agree, but without it you'd have to drop down to Skyliners Road or take a dirt road back into town. This summer we should start up high and do the Bachelor-to-Bend ride.
Are you gonna make me ride the road all the way up on our SS's ? :eek:
I'm in.
Jefe'

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Mrazek is totally retarded!

It needs a complete redesign. There's a couple fun spots up high, but the rest is really dull. They took the idea behind putting in corners and sharp turns, forcing people to scrub speed, way too far! It totally loses it's flow and just becomes tedious. Also, in some spots, the logs crossing the trail are cut out so close together that you can hardly get your feet through w/o breaking a toe.

It's probably more worth while to drop down towards the falls on the Farewell trail and cruise back up Skyliner Trail to Phils and whatnot...

The Mrazek is probably a better trail for going up at the start of an epic than coming down.

·
Canuck
112 Posts
I was all excited

about Mazrek yesterday (first time trying it) - I did the first quarter mile of it from Shevlin Park - what a great technical climb, lots of little drops on the way back etc. I was thinking it was only going to get better as you went higher - but now my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened :( I'm hoping to find lots of technical trails around here - the terrain has lots of potential in any case !

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Don't take my word for it!

Everyone has a particular style of riding and an idea of how a trail "ought to be built". I think the trail is a little boring and tedious. Ride it for yourself and find out. I gave it a couple trys, but gave up. It just never clicked with me.

Give it a shot, see what you think. Then post it in the trail review section.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I like Mrazek a lot! I have only come down it. Usually at the end of a 20-40 mile ride.

It has a good variety and its own kind of flow, more of a rhythm . There are many other trails around Bend with the fast and swoopy flow. No reason to make them all the same.

The upper sections of Mrazek are more "technical" than bottom.

·
dusty paw tracks
208 Posts
Mrazek good

Mrazek is a great trail, even though i primarily use it as a leg of long rides. sometimes it's fun just to ride up to the canal and turn around though.

it's all what you're into i guess. for me Mrazek is a sweet way to gain the higher stuff right from my house. it's a ticket to the wonders of Metolius Windigo, R.A.B, Farewell, North Fork, Flagline, South Fork, Swede Ridge, and others. or a sweet way to get home easy from Tumalo Falls.

if i lived on the other side of Skyliner road i'd definitely be choosing Skyliner trail et al on a regular basis, and probably would never ride Mrazek.

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
slimTreeshadow said:
Mrazek is a great trail, even though i primarily use it as a leg of long rides. sometimes it's fun just to ride up to the canal and turn around though.

it's all what you're into i guess. for me Mrazek is a sweet way to gain the higher stuff right from my house. it's a ticket to the wonders of Metolius Windigo, R.A.B, Farewell, North Fork, Flagline, South Fork, Swede Ridge, and others. or a sweet way to get home easy from Tumalo Falls.

if i lived on the other side of Skyliner road i'd definitely be choosing Skyliner trail et al on a regular basis, and probably would never ride Mrazek.
What/where is R.A.B.?

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
Well I like it

I'm with Shiggy. It is great for days when you need a shorter ride. I like riding it from the bottom at Shevlin up past the canal and turn around when I hit my time limits for the days ride. There are plenty of other trails around if your desire is to bomb down something fast. I personally like that I have to stay on my toes coming down or I might lose a couple...

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
weelllllll.......you're kinda making me think twice....the lower is a great rolling trail, smooth, great for going with the kids (which i need to do more), and does access stuff higher up

maybe I should go ride it again :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.