Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BLS439
529 Posts
carnage said:
i have a rio nitrus that i just love, it a 1.5 gig HARD DRIVE player, the only downside is that it is a hard drive player
I have an iPod Mini. It works really well and holds 4 gigs.

My brother has a Creative Zen Micro. It's also really nice and holds 6 gigs.

My mom just got an iPod 30 gig and really likes it.

--BLS439

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
i use an iRiver iFP-799, it's 1 gigabyte...don' think you need any more than this....can load like 100 songs....come with a good armband to strap it on....been using for 2 years now...would not be using if it did not work well....key for all these players is getting a good set of headphones that you like, and whose wire can be kept out of the way

·
Registered
659 Posts
I second the iRiver. I have the same model and besides the good capacity it runs for a long time on a single AA battery. More than enough juice for a 24 hour race and then some. If you get tired of the music loaded on you can switch to FM.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I started this same thread a while back, and got around 30 different opinions. I settled on the iPod mini, and have been very happy with it. I've crashed a few times on it, and dropped it countless other times, and it does great. Holds 1000 songs, I love music and have only managed to put around 300 songs on it so far.

The Nano looks a bit frail for me, I'd avoid it if possible.

Here's the original thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=51895&highlight=mp3

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I use the ipod shuffle. Not sure on battery life but I'm sure it gets more then the other ipods since it doesnt power a hard drive or an LCD. It's small and light. Think it's $130 for it.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
LBmtb said:
I use the ipod shuffle. Not sure on battery life but I'm sure it gets more then the other ipods since it doesnt power a hard drive or an LCD. It's small and light. Think it's $130 for it.
I second the ipod shuffle. I rode/raced with one all last season after ditching the harddrive player. So nice, something like 84grams and completely and utterly indestructable so far. I never worry about the battery life and usually just plug it in once a week.

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Heh... I have a Dell Pocket DJ (think ipod mini, more durable, and silver) and havent had a problem. Looking into an ipod nano for NON-excercising, but those little buggers are actually quite durable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I suggest the Rio Forge. I've gone riding with it countless times and it works great. You won't believe how much of a beating it will take. The thing about it though is that it doesn't have a gig of memory like you want. It does however have a expansion slot for SD cards, that way you can get the gig of memory you want. Plus, it's cheap, only ran me about $90. I would suggest getting new earphones though, the ones that come with it are horrible.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
skinl19 said:
I second the iRiver. I have the same model and besides the good capacity it runs for a long time on a single AA battery. More than enough juice for a 24 hour race and then some. If you get tired of the music loaded on you can switch to FM.
right on, this iRiver is amazing isn't it...don't ride without it, unless mtn park

would it be great to mount to the bars, the have it transmit the music by radio waves to a wireless headset...this would be bliss to get rid of the damn wires for the headphones

is there something out there to do this

·
Ex-Clydesdale
600 Posts
adamantane said:
would it be great to mount to the bars, the have it transmit the music by radio waves to a wireless headset...this would be bliss to get rid of the damn wires for the headphones

is there something out there to do this
Not sure you'd want to mount it to your bars, but, yes, Logitech makes a set of wireless headphones for MP3 players:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2412,CONTENTID=10679

They also make a water resistant pair for working out, but these are corded:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2412,CONTENTID=10684

·
TXAG
174 Posts
I just got an ipod nano for Christmas and I love it. I have the rubber cover for it and I really don't worry about hurting it. 2 gigs is plenty for me and it weighs next to nothing. Now I just want some wireless headphones but I don't see that happening any time soon!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Headphones

This is a little bit off the original topic...but i was wondering if anyone out there knows of any headphones with strond wires, i have gone through 2 iPod headphones and multiple cheap-o headphones by snapping the wires on falls. Otherwise besides the wireless headphones do yall have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
gothrashers04 said:
This is a little bit off the original topic...but i was wondering if anyone out there knows of any headphones with strond wires, i have gone through 2 iPod headphones and multiple cheap-o headphones by snapping the wires on falls. Otherwise besides the wireless headphones do yall have any ideas?
great question...i've ripped a couple pairs myself...something almost as thick as the cord on my computer's mouse

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not to be a total dork, but I recently got hooked up with some Oakley Thump 2s, and man, they're really cool. I had been riding with my iPod, but it's a 3G 20gb one, so not so small. I was planning on getting a Shuffle, but these are a lot easier. I think probably my favorite part is that the earphones don't have to be shoved into my ear to stay put, I can "hover" them outside of my ears for more outside sound, or in for less. And the sound quality is really, really good.
I think I'm still going to get a Shuffle for riding when I don't need dark glasses, but I'm pretty pumped with the Thumps so far...

BN

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bikerbert said:
They have up to 4GB's of flash memory. I've got one, and I love it. Check out the reviews at http://www.cnet.com

Whatever player you get, make sure its flash memory to avoid skipping.
I got the 2Gb one and it kicks ass! the first day i had it i D/L 186 songs right of my Library and the player said it had 1.98 Gd left of space, I'M STOkED!!!

Now if only I was home long enough to keep D/L my music onto it. Battery so far has been great + I keep rechargeable batteries on hand.
Yes the headphones that come with it are wak!! but i expected that and i hate headphones that go into your ear. I guess I have small ear cavities. Ill shop around for better headphones

for now I am DeLIGhTed with my player, any one looking to get one DO IT!
it doesn't weigh a thing either.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.