Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story may seem familiar:

So in the not so distant past I ditched all my 26" bikes-- hardtail, an older heckler and a DH bike.. I had reached the point of saturation with technology, was no longer willing to drive 5 hours to ride my DH bike and went old school Rigid 29er SS... a lot like several members on this board. Felt great in my decision I live in NE Ohio and the trails are while not paved paths are not Gnarly by any means. Then it happens--I get a chance to move to Phoenix-- where I have some friends that ride and ride anything most of them with big quivers of bikes. I looked around at some FS 29ers and well not much compares to a good AM bike except maybe the Lenz but even then the choice in forks is disappointing.. so I now ask the great brain of MTBR to advise.

Should I get a reba for my SS and just man up?
Get a used AM 26" (Specialized Enduro, Yeti 575, etc) bike to complement my SS?
Spending $4800 for a Lenz probably isn't in the cards this year.

·
No Clue Crew
7,672 Posts
Depends on what trails out here you want to run, and how hard you are.

I rode most stuff on an On*One Inbred 1x9 with Reba and I'm 40 years old. If you want to step up to the super-techy trails, I guess I'd recommend and of the nice 5-inch 26FS bikes on the market. I just built one recently and I'm in love with it.

If you have the financial means, it's nice to have both. I don't think you need a quiver of bikes out here (or anywhere for that matter).

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Leethal said:
This story may seem familiar:

So in the not so distant past I ditched all my 26" bikes-- hardtail, an older heckler and a DH bike.. I had reached the point of saturation with technology, was no longer willing to drive 5 hours to ride my DH bike and went old school Rigid 29er SS... a lot like several members on this board. Felt great in my decision I live in NE Ohio and the trails are while not paved paths are not Gnarly by any means. Then it happens--I get a chance to move to Phoenix-- where I have some friends that ride and ride anything most of them with big quivers of bikes. I looked around at some FS 29ers and well not much compares to a good AM bike except maybe the Lenz but even then the choice in forks is disappointing.. so I now ask the great brain of MTBR to advise.

Should I get a reba for my SS and just man up?
Get a used AM 26" (Specialized Enduro, Yeti 575, etc) bike to complement my SS?
Spending $4800 for a Lenz probably isn't in the cards this year.
Two bikes is the ideal setup, your SS and a FS for the gnarly stuff.

You should be able to pick up a good used FS for cheap if you search around a bit.

R.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Do what you want, but you don't "need" suspension. I ride a rigid 29er 1x9 in Colorado. I ride rocky trails on the Front Range every weekend and ride Grand Junciton/Fruita everytime we visit my fiancee's family in the Grand Valley. I rode 8+ hours in two days this weekend, limited only by the heat and the fact that I was riding solo. I can't tell you how many FS riders I passed up and down the trail. It's not a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.