Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've finished my season as beginner. I'm moving up to sport. I am not ready, but that's okay, I've rationalized it to myself for the following reasons:

1. you get to ride longer. Beginner races are too short, and I find that being able to walk around and make coherent sentences afterward is overrated.

2. I got 3rd overall for the series. Probably through no fault of my own. I showed up to every race, skipping family reunions and other important obligations to do so. Other faster people did not. If I don't move up I'll look like a sandbagger even though I consistently finish in the bottom half (like.. second to last).

3. My fiance is moving up and she's been riding for only a year. How weak would that be for her to move up and school me in every race? Not that I'm not proud of her, and I'd like to think I'm more enlightened than that, but frankly my male ego needs a little protection. Haha.

4. Impetus to train like a friggin madman all winter. Or even a slightly obsessed person. I need goals to stay on track, and finishing sport races within a reasonable time frame is a good one.

5. riding with fast guys makes you faster. I hope. I'd rather be faster in sport in last place than slower in beginner and get first place.

So I'm going to go get my butt handed to me in style. I realize some people on this board refer to sport as the sandbagger class, I will probably have to call it "the class for which I am woefully unprepared". What's it called when you're the opposite of a sandbagger? :D

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
April was my first (and only) race in Sport, finished 19th out of 25. If I get called a sandbagger I may just drop dead from laughing. :D
Congrats on moving up and, like you said, the best way to get faster is riding with faster people.
Good luck.

Lou.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
mward said:
you get to ride longer. Beginner races are too short, and I find that being able to walk around and make coherent sentences afterward is overrated.
Thats one of the reasons I was in sport! That and the later start time for the class :p Who wants to wake up 5am for a 9am race....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts