Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Rage Cage??
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been scoping out the Neveda forums lately since I'm going to be moving to Vegas at the end of the year. I live in LA right now and I had sold my freeride bike before moving here since I didn't think I'd get much use of it living on the coast. Since I'm moving to Vegas, I was wondering what type of bike would be the optimal for the riding conditions. Seems like there is lots of XC out there and some downhill at bootleg and maybe Mt. Charleston. Is an all mountain bike probably a good bet just so everything is rideable? Any input on a make/model? Or bike shops in town that are quality? Thanks for any input.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
All Mountain is the best all around bike. You can get away with a pure XC bike if you ride mostly at Cotton Wood / Blue Diamond.

Bootleg is deffinately all mountain and downhill. You can ride a pure XC bike at Bootleg, but's it won't be as much fun and will need a lot more maintenance.
A good Bootleg bike will have 5-6" of travel. The terrain is so varied at Bootleg, that any good frame will excell there.
Some examples.
Specialized: Pivot, Enduro. (Stable but harder to turn in switchbacks do to long wheelbases.)
Titus: Moto Lite.
Yeti: 575 (Some have had swingarm issues, although Yeti allways fixes them.)
Mountain Cycle: Fury. (Great in tight switchbacks and reliable.) Those are on sale too, because they're getting ready for the new 2011 models.
Giant: Trance X, Reign.
Santa Cruz: Heckler, Nomad, Blur LT (The Blur is more of a long travel XC bike.)
Higher 14" BB height is better at Bootleg. That's more in line with the MC Fury and Pivot. I'm not sure what the BB height on a Heckler is.

·
Rage Cage??
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had never heard of Mountain Cycle bikes before scoping them out after checking out your profile. They seem like a really solid company and the fury's are dirt cheap right now. I am living in LA right now so I think I might call them and just head to their shop and see the bikes and ride a few around. Thanks for the input. I'll be seeing you later this year and bugging ya to ride.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
If you choose a Fury, I'd go with the Rocco shock option.
Second choice RP-23.
Oh yeah, The Fury has a tall head tube. That can sometimes be an issue, if you plan on using a fork from another ride.

Later, Eric.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts