Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Have you ever road on the NCR?
I have ridden on the NCR. It is a nice ride and very beautiful, but all the miles I did were a smooth path appropriate for strollers and city bikes. I would call it a 'bike path' not to disparage it but to communicate clearly so people don't expect the kind of ride we look for in a 'mountain bike trail'

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have been riding/running the NCR trail for years. That is not a MTB trail, not even close. It's a very scenic & relaxing trail.
I take the family on it sometimes, you can ride basically any type of bike you want on it.
I see a lot of hybrids and a lot of roadies also. My kids used to ride their 16" bikes on it when they were 6...
I have run marathons on it because it's hard packed gravel and easy on the legs.
Rail trail yes, MTB trail no.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Have you ever road on the NCR?
This is the best Freudian slip I've seen in a while. :D

I've ridden the NCR many times and never on a mountain bike. It's not remotely like a mountain bike trail. Gravel roads are more technical. It's a great rail trail and a nice way to ride in nature traffic free.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I've ridden the NCR many times and never on a mountain bike. It's not remotely like a mountain bike trail. Gravel roads are more technical. It's a great rail trail and a nice way to ride in nature traffic free.
Okay, I didn't know we were getting that technical. I thought of a long trail close to Towson. I guess it's taboo to mention a trail.
But this puzzles me, gravel roads are more technical, but a large part of the NCR is gravel. Yeah, New Freedom, paved.
And you are going to have some issues riding it on a road bike. I road that trail for years, (Not in the last several) and was on it around the time it first opened.
Psst, I never road it on a mountain bike either.

Okay, flame away.........:madmax:

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Thought the same!

Okay, I didn't know we were getting that technical. I thought of a long trail close to Towson. I guess it's taboo to mention a trail.
But this puzzles me, gravel roads are more technical, but a large part of the NCR is gravel. Yeah, New Freedom, paved.
And you are going to have some issues riding it on a road bike. I road that trail for years, (Not in the last several) and was on it around the time it first opened.

Nobody is flaming and it's not taboo, you're missing the point here. I'm sure it's a lovely trail, but when someone asks me about a good Mexican restaurant in town I don't suggest an Italian joint.

To my knowledge the NCR is crushed gravel, very different from the gravel used on gravel roads... The wiki above calls it 'stone dust.'

·
Registered
263 Posts

No flames coming but....gravel roads are not technical. I see little kids with training wheels on the NCR.
I see a whole lot of roadies and they don't seem to have any problems, they are usually flying past me at a high rate of speed.
I usually take my hybrid and it has skinny roadie type tires, no issues with it.
Maybe when you rode it last it was more loose gravel, not sure.
I do really enjoy the trail but don't take my FS on it, no need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
lol. It's old, I know, but holy cow the NCR is not a trail. It is a very well groomed path. My dad and I used to ride (not road) it all the time. He on a Cannondale Hybrid, I on my old Specialized rigid hardtail. In no shape or form should anyone looking for a MOUNTAIN BIKE RIDE be directed to the NCR.
Now,

The NCR is a lovely way to get base miles in, and is a relaxing ride. Take it all the way up to the PA line, and the way back is mostly slightly downhill.

If you're taking people to the NCR for a "mountain bike ride", maybe next ride the B&A "trail". Now this one is fully paved, and has some super technical climbs over various roads and whatnot :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Roadie/Gravel'r living in Bmore just got his first MTB and looking to ride some "Trails" Not the NCR (I can nearly roller skate the NCR) Sorry, I couldn't resist.. Need to poke fun in this new normal we are all dealing with lol

Okay, So I ride Loch Raven a lot, but haven't explored all the trails.. Im looking for fun up and down single track that isnt to technical (clarify: Im not looking to get air or big drops or go rock crawling)

Would you recommend Patapsco over LGP or vice-versa? Also, anything out west worth a 1 hour ride to?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts