Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Moving to Toronto this spring and trying to get a handle as to where the trails are. I may be living in the city...but don't want to be to far from the trails. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
Mo

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mansfield, north of Toronto on Airport road.
West of toronto you have Kelso and Hilton Falls in Milton (hwy 401)
A bit south of Milton, you have great extreme trails in Waterdown (hwy 5)
North of Toronto you have a mountain bike meca called Hardwood Hills in Orillia off the hwy 400.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks Mark, can you ride in the winter in Toronto??

MJ51 said:
Mansfield, north of Toronto on Airport road.
West of toronto you have Kelso and Hilton Falls in Milton (hwy 401)
A bit south of Milton, you have great extreme trails in Waterdown (hwy 5)
North of Toronto you have a mountain bike meca called Hardwood Hills in Orillia off the hwy 400.

Mark

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Moving to TO? Ooooh, sorry to hear that. My condolences.

:D

Nah, JK!!!!

There are lot's of place's to ride. Important question - do you have a car??????? I don't know about anyone else, but riding for 2 hours to get to a trail would leave me too tired to ride THE trail. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, I do have a car, I live in Chicago now...which has pretty crappy trails. Thanks.

AndrewTO said:
Moving to TO? Ooooh, sorry to hear that. My condolences.

:D

Nah, JK!!!!

There are lot's of place's to ride. Important question - do you have a car??????? I don't know about anyone else, but riding for 2 hours to get to a trail would leave me too tired to ride THE trail. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
207 Posts
spinningbling said:
Thanks Mark, can you ride in the winter in Toronto??
Sure can, but depends on how committed you are. I ride most of the winter, but it can be bitterly cold (like CHI) and the trails can be almost unridable. Ice tires help in the depths of winter, when it can be icy.

Hardwood converts to XC skiing in the winter but the others I've mentioned are all open for the courageous winter riders.

Welcome.
Mark

·
almost there!
341 Posts
Don Valley...

The Don Valley is an awesome trail system just make sure you really look for it, the easiest way to find is to look up Pottery Road and Bayview on a map, go there and look for the dirt trails that head north and you will be set.

If you don't have a car, if you really look around, there are places that rent cars for less than $20 a day (including taxes). And then you can explore the other great trails we have here in Ontario.

·
Registered
954 Posts
spinningbling said:
Hi, Moving to Toronto this spring and trying to get a handle as to where the trails are. I may be living in the city...but don't want to be to far from the trails. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
Mo
Post up in the forum when you arrive. I'm sure you'll be able to hook up with some of us for a tour once the season gets underway.
As you've seen here, there are many places to ride depending on the type of riding you enjoy be it trail, freeride, dh, etc ... as long as you have transportation. The Don Valley trails are really quite amazing considering they're in the heart of the city.

Clem

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Albion Hills, still somewhat of a secret?

spinningbling said:
Mo
I guess I couldn't believe no one has mentioned Albion Hills. I have been riding here for a few years because it was 8 minutes by car from home (I know, I should've rode there). There is some great XC trails of varying lengths totaling 30-40kms of trails if you rode all of it. A local Race Promoter adds new trails (singletrack) every year there and maintains the trails for the riding season. This place is great also in that it is cheap. Hardwood Hills is unfortunately a ripoff compared to the other places mentioned. Great trail network, but last I knew it was $16 for a trailpass there. Most of the other places mentioned here are either free or under $10 to ride. Albion Hills is $4.50/visit (2005) or you can get an individual or family pass for $40/60. The season runs from early end of April (pending trail conditions) to as long as you want to ride (November) before the snow flies. If you want anymore information such as directions, shoot me a PM.

N.

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
don't forget about Kolapore, 3-Stage (Pretty River PP), and Loree Forest (short but nice views) in the Collingwood area which are free, and the Mansfield Outdoor Centre which is only $8.00...all less than a 2 hour drive from downtown

There is also the chair at Blue Mountain (a bit pricey) with their DH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Toronto & Area Trails

You should get a copy of this when you get to town, driving directions, fairly accurate trail desciption for 25 (at least) trails systems around Ontario w lots near Toronto.

http://www.ontariotrailguide.com/main.html

The Don is a good ride, some fast ST, stunts, technical sections, etc....Don't ride after a rain, it get's slicker than a greased rail!

After the rains in the spring, head north of the city (less than1 hour away) and there are tons of trails with a sandy base that dry quick and are fast after a rain. There are also plenty of clubs in the area to join.

Email or PM me and I would be happy to take you for a tour of some of my favorites (locals are going to kill me for this!)

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.