Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am moving to Eugene, and am looking to get acquainted with the community of riders there. I thought I would introduce myself here, and beg for invites to come ride with you all.

I've spent the last year in Washington, D.C., where I've been working as a federal bureaucrat. I'm originally from the deep dark woods of the Oregon Coast Range, and I spent some time in Eugene while I was going to grad school. (At that point in my life I had not yet developed a biking habit.)

During the past year, I have become a zealous devotee to the two-wheeled way of life. I'm still not particularly good at any of the types of riding I do, but that doesn't prevent me from riding bikes every time I get the chance - I commute on bike, ride my road bike for recreation, make my grocery runs on bike, and ride my mountain bike every weekend that the trails are dry, and after work during the summer. I get in about 200 miles a month, which doesn't make me hard-core, but it proves that I put in some effort at least.

I've skimmed the MTBR Oregon forums and have visited the DOD website, and I'm looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing first-hand some of the trails that are pictured in your threads. Since I've been in D.C., I've been riding with the local MTB club, called Mid-Atlantic Offroad Enthusiasts (MORE), which supports a good group of friendly people who enjoy riding together and doing the whole trail maintenance work-party thing. As far as I can tell, it looks analogous to DOD.

I'm going to be visiting my folks over the holidays, and my bike is being shipped as I type this (fingers crossed that UPS is kind to it!). It's likely that it won't get to Oregon until after Xmas, but, if weather is permitting, I'll try to get in a ride around New Year's.

Here's where my plea comes in: (if anyone is still reading this long post) I would really love an invitation to Whypass. The pictures on MTBR make it look like a great trail network. I understand that when new folks are shown the way there, the expectation is that they bring good beer for their hosts... that is something I would only be too happy to provide.

Hopefully the weather cooperates and my bike shows up. If not, I will have to renew this request in the Spring when I make my big move. Until then, thanks for taking the time to read this rambling treatise of a post, and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Finally, I chose the name Rednick for myself because out here in the big city everyone thinks I'm completely down-home country. The irony is that when I'm back in Oregon, everyone seems to think that I've become some sort of big city slick guy.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Chances are - - that there will be a Hangover ride on New Year's Day, usually at Whypass. Check out the DOD board, linked in some others' signatures (I haven't bothered to figure out how to link it, don't care that much). No doubt, sParty will be coming along with some pithy , not pissy, remarks.

Flaps

P.S. Welcome home!

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,089 Posts
Consider yourself invited

Red, er... may I call you "Red?", I/we (the Disciples of Dirt) hereby invite you to ride Whypass and bring post-ride -->good<-- beer. PM me for turn-by-turn directions to the pile.

Having experience in MORE, you sound like an excellent candidate to join DOD's spinoff subculture, Large Ego'd Single Speeders. In any case, don't forget to bring your fenders. If you do forget them, I assure you, one fenderless experience at Whypass and you'll never allow yourself to forget them again.

--Sparty
DOD's newly elected 2009 Exhausted Rooster
(Just think "Sparty and Barack in '09 -- for quality national and local leadership.")

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Sparticus said:
--Sparty
DOD's newly elected 2009 Exhausted Rooster
(Just think "Sparty and Barack in '09 -- for quality national and local leadership.")
Jaysus freakin' Harold Christ on a rubber crutch...it's been less than a week and it's started already. Gawd help us all.

*******, welcome. We just got word from our great trail gnome (golden shovel award winner and berm builder god) that WhipeAss is under a foot of snow. Hopefully by the New Year's ride it will be good for you.

Let us know when you get here.

Brock...(outgoing Exhausted Rooster)...

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Rednick said:
Hello all,

I am moving to Eugene, and am looking to get acquainted with the community of riders there. I thought I would introduce myself here, and beg for invites to come ride with you all.

I've spent the last year in Washington, D.C., where I've been working as a federal bureaucrat. I'm originally from the deep dark woods of the Oregon Coast Range, and I spent some time in Eugene while I was going to grad school. (At that point in my life I had not yet developed a biking habit.)

During the past year, I have become a zealous devotee to the two-wheeled way of life. I'm still not particularly good at any of the types of riding I do, but that doesn't prevent me from riding bikes every time I get the chance - I commute on bike, ride my road bike for recreation, make my grocery runs on bike, and ride my mountain bike every weekend that the trails are dry, and after work during the summer. I get in about 200 miles a month, which doesn't make me hard-core, but it proves that I put in some effort at least.

I've skimmed the MTBR Oregon forums and have visited the DOD website, and I'm looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing first-hand some of the trails that are pictured in your threads. Since I've been in D.C., I've been riding with the local MTB club, called Mid-Atlantic Offroad Enthusiasts (MORE), which supports a good group of friendly people who enjoy riding together and doing the whole trail maintenance work-party thing. As far as I can tell, it looks analogous to DOD.

I'm going to be visiting my folks over the holidays, and my bike is being shipped as I type this (fingers crossed that UPS is kind to it!). It's likely that it won't get to Oregon until after Xmas, but, if weather is permitting, I'll try to get in a ride around New Year's.

Here's where my plea comes in: (if anyone is still reading this long post) I would really love an invitation to Whypass. The pictures on MTBR make it look like a great trail network. I understand that when new folks are shown the way there, the expectation is that they bring good beer for their hosts... that is something I would only be too happy to provide.

Hopefully the weather cooperates and my bike shows up. If not, I will have to renew this request in the Spring when I make my big move. Until then, thanks for taking the time to read this rambling treatise of a post, and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Finally, I chose the name Rednick for myself because out here in the big city everyone thinks I'm completely down-home country. The irony is that when I'm back in Oregon, everyone seems to think that I've become some sort of big city slick guy.
Rule #1- Don't call it "the Yooj". Ever......I'm serious. Never, ever, ever....

Rule #2- Don't beg, just bring beer.

Rule #3- Don't ever trust UPS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why can't I call it the Yooj?

Sasquatch said:
Rule #1- Don't call it "the Yooj". Ever......I'm serious. Never, ever, ever....
Ten years ago when I went to high school there it wasn't uncool to call it the Yooj... and two years ago when I was at the U of O it wasn't uncool to call it the Yooj... what happened? What did I miss?

Also, thanks to all who replied to my first post. Like I said earlier, hopefully the weather cooperates (unlikely) and hopefully UPS delivers my bike in one piece.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I resent the UPS remark

"Rule #3- Don't ever trust UPS."

UPS delivers 10 's of millions of packages each year, most including bikes arrive in perfect condition. Most bikes that do get damaged are because of poor packaging by the shipper. Get your bike packaged correctly and it should be just fine.

If government ran as smoothly and efficiently as UPS and did as good a job serving the American people as UPS does serving it's customers we'd all be better off. I work my butt off making sure you get your packages. UPS is the D.O.D of shipping companies.

End of rant.

Just remember Rule #2 and your golden.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Times they are a changin'

Rednick said:
Ten years ago when I went to high school there it wasn't uncool to call it the Yooj... and two years ago when I was at the U of O it wasn't uncool to call it the Yooj... what happened? What did I miss?
...I believe the preferred pejorative is now Eugina. I can say that those of us living a bit south of the brain-freeze formerly called Ewwjean refer to it as "The rotten Eugina" anyway.

Welcome back. Let us ride.

Brock...

PS: Long live DHL! Oh, wait...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ImaKlyde said:
...I believe the preferred pejorative is now Eugina. I can say that those of us living a bit south of the brain-freeze formerly called Ewwjean refer to it as "The rotten Eugina" anyway.

Welcome back. Let us ride.

Brock...

PS: Long live DHL! Oh, wait...
I use EweJean or the one that was popular when I moved here 30 years ago--BlueJean (Davey would say BlewJean).

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
I hope throwing a federal bureaucrat into the mix won't mess everything up.

Unless you're someone who can help the DOD get a billion dollar grant for beer. That'd be cool.

(I got your back Jolly. Everyone's picking on UPS and nobody took a stab at the fed.)

Welcome back to Eugersey.

Caz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Now I've got my own avatar!

Heck yeah! I haven't even been a member of MTBR for a week yet, but I'm already hard at work at keepin' it classy!

And I love both Eugina and Eugersey! Eugersey sounds like it could be the retort to Springtucky.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.