Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on sept. 1
i will need a bike lock for the town, and arent sure if I should get the
Kryptonite Evolution Mini-U-Lock for $50
or
Krypto NY U-Lock for $80

i need the security of a U-lock, asked around at an LBS when i was getting the apartment set up and he claims, any u-lock is better then a cable, he also said the NY lock is the same strentgh as their Evolution lock. The NY is just beefier...not so sure given they are different materials, but any recommendations? what do you keep your bike locked up with in SC?
one of the main reasons Id perfer the mini-lock is because it would fit in a cargo pocket, where as the NY would need a camelback because its huge.

·
tastes like chicken
469 Posts
Are you talking about locking your bike for riding around town or is this extra security for your pricey steed while parked in your garage or home?

There are a lot of bike thieves in Santa Cruz so keep your nice bikes away from plain view.

My wife and I have a few "rat bikes" - old mountain bikes with lots of stickers, rust and chipped paint - which we use for riding around town. I've parked these bikes with a standard U-lock all over town, day and night for hours at a time and have never had a problem. Thieves are opportunists so bikes locked with cable locks or hanging off the back of a car rack have a higher tendency to get stolen.

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
Yep, what he said or just..

leave a little baggie of "stuff" next to your bike as a deterrent. :eek:

I'd have to echo the don't even park your nice bike downtown unless your eyes stay on your bike at all times. There are a lot of users (tweekers) around town, esp in the evenings, that would grab just about any bike to get $20 to score a fix.

You may want to hustle on down to the Bike Church (703 Pacific Ave # B, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (831) 425-2453) and get a beater for downtown as well.

Otherwise, welcome to the neighborhood!

*PS- don't eeeeven ask about or mention any existing or non-existing so called trails that may or may not exist within the county.

*Only after your live here for years, and become easily recognizable upon sight by fellow riding bro's (or sis's) as a member of the tribe or pack may you inquire as to where all the "sweet trails" exist. Of course when asking do not make eye contact, lowering your head, possibly even bow, or show some other sign of submission, (no submission peeing please) may you openly approach this subject with other locals. :cornut:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha, thanks for the ps firehorse.
i have some friends that have been going to ucsc for 2 years now, and have leanred about these non-existent trails...

i am going to be pickin up a beater/cruiser/town bike when i move, but either way, i want a bike lock.
would the mini-lock suit me?

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
yea, should be fine, just dont park it

overnight on the street. otherwise it begs, "pick me apart". Ive seen numerous bikes parted out when left locked overnight most anywhere around here. lots of cyclist, many on the budget, disparate, or unscrupulous can spot a decent or even funcioning part and away it goes.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya ive seen that all the time in san francisco, and sometimes in sc, i definately wont be leaving my bike outside for long periods or overnight, it would only be a quick run into grab a beer/bite to eat.
im currently trying to find a old beater kona or possibly a old hardrock and put some 24" tires with bmx bars

·
Registered
323 Posts
*PS- don't eeeeven ask about or mention any existing or non-existing so called trails that may or may not exist within the county.

*Only after your live here for years, and become easily recognizable upon sight by fellow riding bro's (or sis's) as a member of the tribe or pack may you inquire as to where all the "sweet trails" exist. Of course when asking do not make eye contact, lowering your head, possibly even bow, or show some other sign of submission, (no submission peeing please) may you openly approach this subject with other locals.
give me a break, between the trails and the surfing Santa Cruz is getting more and more like Southern CA all the time.. I was born in Santa Cruz, grew up here, moved away, moved back, ridden all trails legal and not, surfed everywhere, East side, West side.... and I have NEVER had a problem. I have seen and heard of incidents, but whatever... I think as long as you do not do anything stupid you will be fine. give respect, let the guy in the worse spot take off on a wave, watch him fall and then next time homie is not going to get the wave.... or if he gets a good one, let him know and maybe he'll let you get the next... OR, if you see a guy on a trail, let him go first, give him space... if you run up his tail, back off... or maybe he'll let you by.... COMMON SENSE.

let you abilities predicate what you are doing... if you suck, ride jeep trails and occasionally take a single track... if you rip.. go ride the gnarly stuff, but give respect.

BTW, I meet a buddy at the Asti for a beer.. he rode his old school GT 24" for shits and giggles... we literally sat there and stared at it while drinking a few, i stepped up to get another beer and my buddy went to take a piss and it was gone.... seriously.. we were sitting there staring at it, big old chain lock and everything... and we both knew that downtown eats bikes...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Santa Cruzans can be somewhat provincial, but we're also friendly, secure knowing that we live in the best spot on Earth.

I've never been on a ride where anyone refused to show someone the sweetness.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Santa Cruz is an awesome town and an awesome place to ride. I only started last year and have never had any problems with other riders. I run and ride pogonip, UCSC trails and the train tracks often and everytime I see a rider friendly greetings are exchanged.

We're nice people. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.