Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll probably be moving down to the area this June from S.E. Pennsylvania. No friends, no skinny on the MTB racing/riding/dirt jumping scene, or on the road riding scene either. I am currently spoiled with an awesome house on the border of a huge park and resivior with great trails all around and great road riding too. I am also blessed with a 15 year relationship with a great, well stocked bike shop, complete with team discount prices and killer service - sweet! I'll miss it but I know it's a big world with great riding and great people everywhere, so we'll get by.
Is it possible to work at RTP and still live in a quiet (rural) area within a 30-40 minute drive? Where should we look for such an area while living in a temporary apartment? Are there lots of places to ride MTB for hours on end? How about the racing scene- anything going on? Cool bike shops with teams? Group road rides (fast ones)?
If anybody would care to enlighten me on these questions and/or any other useful info, I'll buy the beers after a ride some day. I'm good with maps so please be a little specific.
Thanks for your time!
~Stranix

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check out Wake Forest

I have lived in Raleigh for over 20 years and now have a house in Wake Forest. It is just north of Raleigh and there is a relativly new outer beltline (I-540) that runs from I-40 (the highway with access RTP) to north Raleigh. From there it is about 10 minutes up another 4 lane to Wake Forest (40 minutes total). I like the area alot, growing very fast so you should be able to make some money on the house if you get in right. Relatively quiet area but still has alot to offer Super Wal-mart, Target, lots of resturants, grocery stores, all the stuff you need. Depending on what area you pick you could spend $120K on a house of $500K so you should have no problem finding a house in your range. Also check out Clayton/Garner but I like Wake Forest better for better access to RTP and Raleigh. Let me know if you have any more questions. The zip code out there is 27587, hope this helps. Oh, and pretty good access to trails, several trail heads within about 15 minutes in the truck.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yes, the scene down here is good. We have approximately 100 miles of legal (or semi-legal :D ) singletrack within 30-40 minutes or RDU. We are only 4.5 hours from Pisgah, which is some of the best MTB east of the Mississippi (IMO). There are several bike shops, and like any town, some are good, some are not. I'll let you form an opinion on that one.... Some are very MTB focussed, some Freeride focused, some tri-focused etc....

Race scene is probably pretty good, but I'm not involved, so I'll let someone else answer.

Wake Forest or Creedmore would be a great choice, close to lots of good MTB and Road.

Orange County (outside of chapel hill) would be another choice.

I live in Sanford on a rural farm. There are relatively NO neighbors, I can do a road ride from my driveway and go 100+ miles without ever seeing a traffic light, and only seeing light traffic, and it is 17 miles just to go around the block.... It takes me 40-45 minutes to drive to my job in RTP. Only downside is that I have one 5-mile trail within 10 miles of me, every other trail is 30+ minutes to drive. (Good thing is that I can hit them all on the way home from work, so I just bring my bike and equpment with me on ride days....).

I'd strongly suggest getting an apartment and learning the area before you buy. There are several good areas, but each is different.

Oh yeah, visit www.trianglemtb.com. There is a very active bike-scene here. We are in the process of getting more organized and hopefully adding a LOT of trail in the area....

Good luck with the move,

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying to my original post. What is the area around Wilsonville (or across B. Everett Jordan lake from Farrington) like? On my map, the area between Wilsonville and RTP looks pretty open. Does anybody know that area? Homes, trails, the lake itself? What is the general topographic of the RD area like? Hilly?
The mood is becoming more exciting as the move approaches, and I look forward to learning the area via long road rides and lots of mountain biking too.
Any info is greatly appreciated! We don't want a pop-up McMansion sitting on a quarter acre in some new development, but are interested in a more established, semi private mid sized place with a couple of acres that is kind of away from it all, but still reasonably close to RTP.
Again thanks for any info!

Jim

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Stranix said:
We don't want a pop-up McMansion sitting on a quarter acre in some new development, but are interested in a more established, semi private mid sized place with a couple of acres that is kind of away from it all, but still reasonably close to RTP.
Again thanks for any info!

Jim
Wilsonville would be a good place to look then. Anywhere up or down the road that intersects hwy 64, or any of the crossroads along 64 in that area are good. I think of wilsonville as the road cylcing mecca of the area that is south of raleigh. (There are other good places as mentioned in my other post). Trails-wise it is a little lacking. There are early-stage plans to build about 40+ miles of singletrack around the lake area, but that is in the planning stage, and would probably take 10+ years. The land is there, the agreements are not in place yet (but the cycling community is working toward that means).

FWIW, I live about 20 miles from the wilsonville interesection. I have two acres on a 300 acre tobacco/cotton farm. My neighbors are mostly Progress Energy timber land, and road riding is awesome here. Since most trails are 30+ minutes away (by car), I plan my rides after work, which is in RTP. There is plenty of good riding to be had....

Like I said, you may want to start posting some on Trianglemtb.com, as there is a whole community there who will welcome you, and share their various (and varying "ing") opinions.

M

·
Registered
59 Posts
Some of the open space you are seeing on the map from Wilsonville to RTP is Corp land and NC Wildlife land, and not available to live on. I'm not a roadie, but I would imagine that the area is excellent for riding. As you get closer to Chapel Hill to the northwest, prices become quite prohibitive. Wilsonville's not too close to any trails though, north of Raleigh and around Falls Lake is much better for both legal and bandit trails. The road riding must be pretty good too based on the number of cyclists I see on the road. The land is getting pretty pricey either direction you choose. Everything from single wides to multi-million dollar homes in both areas. It's just a matter of getting in your car and scouting out the areas you're interested in before getting too serious with a realtor. You're probably about fifteen years too late to find any great deals within thirty minutes of RTP anymore. Granville or Franklin counties north of RTP will get you more house and land for your money, but the commute will be more like 30-60 minutes instead. But you would be in mtb heaven, or at least as close as it gets locally.

Like Bmatt said, log on to TriangleMTB.com and talk with some more of the locals for their opinions on where to live. Personally, I grew up out in the woods of Chatham county and prefer my location in Raleigh. I can reach miles of trail within 20 minutes, and virtually everything in the area in 45 minutes or less. And if you need to know where the best Eastern NC pig is cooked over real coals, and which trails are the closest to said pig, then I am your man. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.