Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to Omaha in January where I have just taken a new job. I am from AZ where there is tons of biking culture, great trails etc.

Any decent riding to be had in the Omaha area? What is the riding season like?

Also, anyone know what the ski situation is like? Any decent ski areas w/in driving distance?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
mastakilla said:
I am moving to Omaha in January where I have just taken a new job. I am from AZ where there is tons of biking culture, great trails etc.

Also, anyone know what the ski situation is like? Any decent ski areas w/in driving distance?

First, the not so great news: Nearest skiing is in Colorado. Unless of course you're talking about xc skiing.

Bike culture is alive and well in Omaha/Lincoln:

http://www.trailshaveourrespect.org/
http://lincolnbiking.blogspot.com/
http://www.mtbomaha.blogspot.com/

To name a few. The riding season is all year, if you pick up the right cold weather clothing and lights.

There are a few great gems for riding there, but you'll have to think somewhat in terms of "laps" to get huge rides in. Platte RIver State Park is fantastic, Lewis & Clark is very good, and some of those other Omaha places from Thor's website have become popular in the last 5 years since I moved away. The racing is very competitive too.

Within easy 3 hour drives more places become available: Ponca State Park, Indian Caves, and there's tons of fun riding in the KC area.

Anyway, keep an open mind, and you'll find yourself on some very memerable rides there. I sure did.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
greetings master.

i too am a az transplant, now about 1:30 north of ya in sioux city, iowa. ther ridin here and down in omaha has been suprisingly good. platte and l&c is pretty sweet, i did a weeenie d/h race in the caves this year and theres another in ponca which promises to be alot more fun but ive yet to do that event. now that i have a proper big bike im more inclined to give it a shot. theres a good xc series as well.

the riding up here is decent too. lots of short and incredibly steep loops that make ya scream for compact drive and a 34. i had to swap all my trusty 8 spd for 9 so i didnt die out here. crazy but true. check out some of the trail reviews from the area and youll see what i mean. it be hilly baby! whats really nutty is how it transitions from a steep down or flowing trail into a sharp corner then up, up, up ya go. no momentum to be had.

did i mention the beer is cold and cheap? no? well the beer is cold and cheap. not all the skiing is 5 hours away in colorado. theres a few small hills in the area, 3 hours tops, but its pretty lame by most standards. im about to drive up to sioux falls, sd for a day on the hill, another 1:30 from home. see a pattern developing here? drop me a pm when ya hit town.

·
make mine fixed
60 Posts
Welcome to Omaha!

mastakilla said:

Nebraska racing:
nebraskacycling.org

Hard surfaced trails (100+ miles):
Omaha Metro Trails
Council Bluffs Trails

Rail to Trail (crushed gravel, 60+ miles):
Wabash Trace, Council Bluffs

The off road trails are different here than AZ because we don't have the BLM, NPS, USFS, etc. with tens of thousands of acres of land. Most singletrack around Omaha are on several hundred acres or less. Thus, our trails are tighter and stacked. No rock, just clay and loam that are not ridden when wet or the frost is thawing.

There are several weekly bike shop and group mtb rides open to all. Though you can ride year round, we finally broke freezing Saturday for the first time in two weeks (unusually cold); with highs only in the teens most of last week. Only a couple handful of bikers I know of were still riding outside, and most of them at night. After about five inches of snow on the ground, I stick to the roads and plowed trails. Several shops have indoor trainer rides during the cold season.

Look forward to meeting you sometime. I lead the Monday night ride at Tranquility Park for Bike Masters.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Omaha Trails

Mastakiller, you will crap you pants when you ride our trails. I'm sure your used to riding dry, dusty, loose trails and breathing in all that smog but you are in for a suprise. The trails here are sweet bacon. They may not be the most scenic but they are fast, fun, and most are within 10-20 minutes from downtown. I moved back here from Flagstaff about 5 years ago and the riding just keeps getting better. We ride year round so check the blogs: http://www.mtbomaha.blogspot.com/ http://www.29andsingle.blogspot.com/ http://www.freesnotfree.blogspot.com/ to see what we're up to.

·
Let the cowbell ring
83 Posts
The ride season is year long depending on how much you like the cold. All you need is clothes and lights. The trails are nothing like in AZ but can be fun and challenging. They tend to be flat and tight thus the faster the more technical or else they tend to have lots of short climbs. Everything is SS friendly ( a few walkers). Trails are short 4-6 miles generally. Hope you enjoy. Let the cowbell ring
mastakilla said:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.