Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to Oahu next summer and I am really looking foward to riding over there, however what is the bike of choice for cross country riding. I currently have several hardtails but no F/S bikes. I"m not into freeriding at all, should I bring a F/S with me? I currently work at a shop so I can get a deal.
thanks
Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
See you next? summer...

Howzit Mark,
Do you mean this June or next June? Anyway, hardtail will be okay, but the bikes of choice for O'ahu are definitely fs. Cross country is a relative term with most rides a combination of fireroads, steep, rooty, technical and did I mention steep climbs. Most guys are on geared fs with 5+ inches of travel. Whatever works for you. Post on the board when you get here.
Aloha Ka'kou,
Leonard

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
57clydesdale said:
Howzit Mark,
Do you mean this June or next June? Anyway, hardtail will be okay, but the bikes of choice for O'ahu are definitely fs. Cross country is a relative term with most rides a combination of fireroads, steep, rooty, technical and did I mention steep climbs. Most guys are on geared fs with 5+ inches of travel. Whatever works for you. Post on the board when you get here.
Aloha Ka'kou,
Leonard
I'll be there June 2006. I currently work at a shop part time so I figure if I need another bike this is the time to buy it since I can get a deal. I'm looking around now for a fs bike.
thanks
Mark

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay, summer 2006

Hey Mark,
Yeah, see you then. Good idea if you can get a bike at a discount. Maybe some other guys will chime in on the best type of bike for our conditions. Personally, I 'm riding a SC Bullit. Currently converted to 29er. There are lots of Bullits around here as well as many other notable fs bikes. I"m a tall clyde and definitely like having a burlier bike. Heck, even most of the smaller guys get beefy bikes. Got to have it for the conditions here. Hope this helps and that others will jump in.
Leonard

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had a Ti hardtail when I moved here 7 years ago and found that the terrain was a lot rougher than what I was used to in SoCal. I am now riding a 5 Spot which seems perfect for the riding I do on Oahu. As mentioned, our best rides include lots of climbing with plenty of rocks and/or roots. Get a new FS on the cheap while you have the chance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ArmySlowRdr said:
I recently got a full susp stumpjumper expert disc 100. And finally rode some hilly fireroad that was pretty darn nice for Oahu. The forest up above the Kaena Pt Satellite Tracking Station is primo for the style I like. Not rutted at all like some of the Kahuku roads
Thanks for all the help. I am going to pick up another bike. I currently ride a 29er hardtail both SS and geared. So now I have to decide if I want to get a 26 FS or 29.

·
Caboose!
78 Posts
26" or 29"

sailwrench said:
Thanks for all the help. I am going to pick up another bike. I currently ride a 29er hardtail both SS and geared. So now I have to decide if I want to get a 26 FS or 29.
I'd stay with the 26" so you can better experiment with tires. Our trails are a mix of very wet & very dry. Very smooth & very rough. Your style of riding and your bikes handling will determine what tires to run...with the 26" you'll have many more choices.

Besides, I still haven't seen a 29" tire in a bike shop here yet. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Mailorder gets expensive with the shipping.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's correct, no shop with 29er rubber

Howzit Jeff,
You're right about that. I've recently converted to 29er and must pay the shipping. Usually $15-20 for 2 or 3 tires. I think we met at Costco parking one day. You running the Mallet c's and if so how are they holding up? I'm looking for some new clydeworthy pedals. Anyway, Mark if your still there, you can still ride 29 and get tires by mail. Or better yet, before you come over, pick me up 2 moto's, 2 ignitors and a set of Exiwolf's!Just kidding. The Moto's and Ignitors work fine,and I'm wanting to try the Exi's. Don't know about SS, as the varying terrain and difficult climbs require plenty gearing. At least by my large okole.
See ya,
Leonard

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
sailwrench said:
Stay away from bikes with poor tire clearance. Trails can get nasty and it's no fun carrying your bike out. Stay away from bikes with known pivot maintenance issues or some of these new bike designs with too many pivots. Again the nasty trails causes maintenance problems plus it can get really expensive replacing all those pivots parts. I'd personally get a bike with 5" of travel on it. Your back will thank you for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
racerzero said:
Stay away from bikes with poor tire clearance. Trails can get nasty and it's no fun carrying your bike out. Stay away from bikes with known pivot maintenance issues or some of these new bike designs with too many pivots. Again the nasty trails causes maintenance problems plus it can get really expensive replacing all those pivots parts. I'd personally get a bike with 5" of travel on it. Your back will thank you for it.
Thanks for all the input. I don't know what I"m going to get yet, I'm going to wait and see if the 2005 go on clearance from the manufacturers. I'm not worried about tire availability for my 29ers. I plan on having a ton of extra stuff with me.

Thanks

·
Caboose!
78 Posts
57clydesdale said:
Howzit Jeff,
I think we met at Costco parking one day. You running the Mallet c's and if so how are they holding up? I'm looking for some new clydeworthy pedals.

Wasn't me...I'm so old school when it comes to pedals. I still use, covet, & hoard the old Shimano 737 SPDs. For flats I've liked the Easton Flatboys...solid as a rock. I have one pair of Shimano M424's the ones with the plastic cage. I didn't think the plastic cages would hold up, but they have hung in there for a couple years on my Cove hardtail. I'm gonna pick up a pair of M545's (metal cages) for my Enduro.

Of course when baby comes in September it will all last forever in the garage, or at least until the rust gets to it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats on the future new addition...

Fat Jeff said:
57clydesdale said:
Howzit Jeff,
I think we met at Costco parking one day. You running the Mallet c's and if so how are they holding up? I'm looking for some new clydeworthy pedals.

Wasn't me...I'm so old school when it comes to pedals. I still use, covet, & hoard the old Shimano 737 SPDs. For flats I've liked the Easton Flatboys...solid as a rock. I have one pair of Shimano M424's the ones with the plastic cage. I didn't think the plastic cages would hold up, but they have hung in there for a couple years on my Cove hardtail. I'm gonna pick up a pair of M545's (metal cages) for my Enduro.

Of course when baby comes in September it will all last forever in the garage, or at least until the rust gets to it.
Aloooooha Jeff,
Oh, my mistake. Now that I think about it, it was a guy named Tracy. Another clyde size rider. My current pedals are still good but I was checking out the Mallet C's (big size platform with spd) and wanted to know if they're durable for a masher with size 12 shoes! Anyway, let's go ride before you're too busy changing diapers! No jus kidding. You're life is just getting better. Kids are a blessing. Enjoy and take care. See you at the trail.
Aloha Ka'kou,
Leonard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.