Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am moving to the Raleigh and Greensboro areas from West Texas. We'll be in Burlington, which from what I can tell on MapQuest, doesn't seem too far from Raleigh or Greensboro.

Anyway, I have been riding the rocky, cactus- and rattlesnake-riddled trails of West Texas for the past three years. I recently invested in a Specialized Epic because my Fisher hardtail was wearing me out.

I used to live in Georgia and never had any problems with a hardtail or rigid frame causing back problems, but things are a bit rougher out here.

So, my question is this, is it worth it to keep my Epic and Fisher (which climbs great but handles awful) or should I sell the Epic frame and Fisher and get a nice carbon hardtail? To be honest, I have not had the Epic long and with it being my first full suspension bike, I have not quite gotten the suspension dialed in like I want it.

Let me know your thoughts and I look forward to maybe meeting you on some of the trails.

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
Tough question to answer....I'd say go with what you like. If you plan on riding some of the less tame trails in the mtns you might be glad you have a full-sus. An HT and a FS in your garage would not be a bad thing. Welcome to North Kakalaki!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm in Greensboro......I wouldn't go out of my way to have a hardtail for around here. It can be rooty and the our trails are not as tame as you might think. Also, within 11/2 hours are some great trails in the mountains were you'll def want full sus. PM and I'll send you my phone #....I drive somewhere to ride almost every weekend. I've been around for almost 20 years and can get you going on some good stuff.

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
A lot of people find a steel hardtail to be a great all around bike in NC. Going back to steel myself actually.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well put....

I like that!!:cornut:

extrmtao said:
I was only being jokular. . .

Just sayin' don't worry about the bike too much, just come and ride and figure it out later. As long as it has two wheels and some sort of stopping mechanism, you should be alright.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I don't think anybody can answer this question for you. My friends ride all sorts of bikes and we all ride them on the same terrain. Different strokes for different folks. Whatever makes you happy. A few weeks ago, I did a ride with a guy who is into unicycles! Off road!

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
He rode a real bike. A slick looking Santa Cruz SS with I9s and other assorted bling. But yeah he dropped me on the climbs. Surprisingly I was a bit faster going down.

I don't think he would stand a chance keeping up on the muni. From what he was saying it is significantly more strenuous to ride any given trail on a muni and the fact that it's essential a fixed gear makes your speed on the descents somewhat limited. I think you'd have to be in damn good shape to even last an hour on a muni. It looks to be about 4 times more work then regular riding. But that is from the perspective of somebody who has never done it. I'm definitely on the outside looking in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.