Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
noob
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Moving to Prattville for work. Plan to be in the local area for at least 3 maybe 4 years. My wife runs 5-10ks, I want to get into some XC or Enduro races. Also looking for a new bike and LBS within 100mi of Montgomery Al. Budget at 3-4k. Love yeti and turner bikes, the Santa Cruz 5010 is also pretty sweet. If I had to stick with mainstream, probably a Trek Remedy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not much in Montgomery for riding, but you have a few options not too far.

Chewacla State Park has 25 miles of trails of all types. A little closer is Tuskeegee National Forest, with 8 miles out and back (16 if you don't shuttle)

Oak Mountain State park would be about 1.5 hours away and has good riding as well.

All of these have pretty good info on MTBProject.com

James Brothers Bikes in Auburn carries Trek and Niner.

Look up Central Alabama Mountain Pedalers, we're the local IMBA chapter.

Hope to see you on the trails.
Tim

·
Registered
994 Posts
A lot of shopping in that area is done 80 miles north of P-ville in Birmingham. Something to consider in your quest for a new bike. I have quite a bit of family in Prattville most everyone avoids Montgomery like the plague.

·
Robertson
997 Posts
Only Yeti dealer anywhere near us is Fresh Bikes in Atlanta, they have a good reputation. I'd second James Brothers in Auburn, also Cahaba Cycles in Birmingham for Trek. No one anywhere near us carries Turner or Santa Cruz. Race wise there's the Alabama Mountain Bike Series, which is XC races, taking place throughout the year. The biggest race (I would argue) was this past weekend in Oak Mountain, but there's others throughout the year. Enduro: there is an Enduro series in the southeast that I do, called 3rd Coast Enduro. 1st race was in Coldwater (in Anniston, an hour east of Birmingham) April 25th. Next race is this weekend, June 6th and 7th in Pisgah (Brevard, NC). Other races are in Chattanooga (July 18th), Northwest GA (September) and Greeneville, SC (mid November). Feel free to message me if you want any more info on races, local trail advocacy clubs, want someone to ride with, or just to gush about how awesome Yeti bikes are (okay okay, I'm a bit biased)

·
noob
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, all good info. Maybe I'll see you around the local area. I have a travel trailer with a 5 bike bike rack over my bed, always up for bro-trip weekender to Georgia for more riding when Alabama gets old. Would love to check out some of the higher elevations in the Appalachians further north, eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts