Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LA locals, a little help if you could...

My family is relocating to Los Angeles. We already lived there for 10 years before moving to Westchester, NY two years ago. Ironically, I only discovered the joy that is mountain biking when we moved to NY.

From the research that I've done so far, Los Angeles is not the greatest place in terms of DAILY trail access. If you live in Hollywood, you're not gonna be riding every day, etc.

This is causing me no small degree of anxiety. If I can help it, I'd like to relocate to a place in LA where I could have convenient DAILY trail access in the mornings before work. I know this severely limits where I can reasonably live in the city.

As of right now, I'm looking at Pasadena/Alta Dena. Specifically the Echo Sunset Prieto Trails. Let's assume I move to Pasadena. Can anyone out there confirm that these trails are something that could be accessed daily, in the morning, in 1.5 hr blasts?

I'm not really looking for suggestions on how to restructure my life or change my expectations. I know I could get up at 5 am and drive to Topanga Canyon from Burbank and still get to work on time as well. But I'm not THAT obsessed.

I just want someone with first-hand knowledge about the trails to confirm that if by moving to Pasadena, I could reasonably expect to hit the aforementioned trails on a daily basis.

Thanks!

·
Pro Crastinator
11,300 Posts
there are thousands of trails in the los angeles area. if they aren't right outside your door, they are less than a half hour away. i live smack in the middle of the san fernando valley and daily biking couldn't be any easier...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are thousands of trails in the los angeles area. if they aren't right outside your door, they are less than a half hour away. i live smack in the middle of the san fernando valley and daily biking couldn't be any easier...
Have you ever hit the Echo Sunset Prieto Trails up in Alta Dena?

I've also given some consideration to Woodland Hills or Topanga Canyon itself.

My work day is long and riding after work isn't an option, that's why it has to be quick access in the morning, a short ride, and hopefully a lot of variation on the trail.

Lemme ask you this... if you could up and move today, with access being your foremost concern, where would you move in LA?

·
Keep pedaling
422 Posts
Have you ever hit the Echo Sunset Prieto Trails up in Alta Dena?
I live within driving distance of Pasadena, and I've done those trails. Starting from a house in Pasadena, I estimate the ride time would be more like 2 hours.

If I could live anywhere in LA, it would be in somewhere near the East side of Topanga State Park . I prefer the smooth less technical trails in that area.

If you lived in Hollywood, you could ride up to Griffith Park everyday and ride on paved mountain roads that are closed to cars. (Bikes are only allowed on paved roads, not on trails there.)

My local bike club website lists some good trailheads around pasadena/burbank/glendale.
Over the Bars Mountain Bike Club, Los Angeles - Directions to Trailheads

1 - 5 of 5 Posts