Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Birdman aka JMJ
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving to Jacksonville Florida within the next few months. I'm currently in central New Jersey and ride a fully MTB, a rigid SS, and a steel road bike.

Based on the "Northern Florida" thread on this board, it sounds like Hanna Park is the best MTB ride in the area. Any other hidden jems in the area? Is night riding legal? Any SSers in the JAX area?

What's road riding like in JAX? Any good 30-50 mile loops to recommend?

Thanks much - JMJ

· hot arse Florida
48 Posts
Here, I'll cut and paste from an older post.

If you are new or "newer" to the area, don't forget Grahm's Swamp and Ft. Clinch, all within 60 minutes of Jax. Read about them in the trail reviews for Florida. Also, there is nothing like riding Razorback(Reddick) for Florida. Santos and San Felasco are a close second and distant third, in that order. I'm not to sure about West or "more South" Florida than Ocala, but these are pretty decent trails for N. Florida. The Ocala trails are anywhere between an 1 1/2 and 2 hours from Jax.
Something about Florida trails in Jax., there is a lot of sand because we are so close to the beach areas, as well as getting used to the tree roots, it makes for a "different ride". The Ocala trails are much smoother and have a little higher level of difficulty.

· Official Cooler Inspector
2,651 Posts
Bell business is that good, uh? Wow - already retired!

MTBIrv is in the St. Aug area. She's gone over to The Dark Side (motorcycles), but probably remembers a few cool riding areas. I send her your post.

Welcome to the Southland.

:cool:

· Registered
88 Posts
M-U-M said:
MTBIrv is in the St. Aug area. She's gone over to The Dark Side (motorcycles), but probably remembers a few cool riding areas.
Yep, I'm here. Need someone to motivate me to do that drive over to G'ville/Ocala to ride. Since I'm in St. Aug, it takes me an hour to get to Hanna. I'd rather ride in G'ville/Ocala. Give me a shout when you get here -- I'll be happy to show you the trails (as long as it's not a track day weekend).

· Birdman aka JMJ
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding...

Birdman said:
I'll be moving to Jacksonville Florida within the next few months. I'm currently in central New Jersey and ride a fully MTB, a rigid SS, and a steel road bike.

Based on the "Northern Florida" thread on this board, it sounds like Hanna Park is the best MTB ride in the area. Any other hidden jems in the area? Is night riding legal? Any SSers in the JAX area?

What's road riding like in JAX? Any good 30-50 mile loops to recommend?

Thanks much - JMJ
Just got back from a house-hunting trip in JAX. Very impressed by the area. Thanks for responding - I'll post or email again once I get down there with the bikes.

Regards & good riding - JMJ

· Registered
92 Posts
Karma said:
Here, I'll cut and paste from an older post.

If you are new or "newer" to the area, don't forget Grahm's Swamp and Ft. Clinch, all within 60 minutes of Jax. Read about them in the trail reviews for Florida. Also, there is nothing like riding Razorback(Reddick) for Florida. Santos and San Felasco are a close second and distant third, in that order. I'm not to sure about West or "more South" Florida than Ocala, but these are pretty decent trails for N. Florida. The Ocala trails are anywhere between an 1 1/2 and 2 hours from Jax.
Something about Florida trails in Jax., there is a lot of sand because we are so close to the beach areas, as well as getting used to the tree roots, it makes for a "different ride". The Ocala trails are much smoother and have a little higher level of difficulty.
Santos and San Felasco are getting pretty sandy in some spots too. I live in Gainesville, so I am 10 min from San Felasco and less than a half hour from Santos.

· Registered
88 Posts
russw19 said:
Santos and San Felasco are getting pretty sandy in some spots too. I live in Gainesville, so I am 10 min from San Felasco and less than a half hour from Santos.
You suck. It takes me 2 hours to get there. There's nothing decent to ride over here. :( Guess I'll be making the trip again this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.