Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I'm 99% confident that I'll be moving to the Hudson Valley (either New Paltz or Ghent/Harlemville) in March 2010. Just have to finalize up plans in January for the move.

I'm from North Florida, so despite the fact that I'll be freezing my butt off most of the time, what are my trail options looking like? I've looked some online but don't see much. Perhaps someone in the area knows whats up.

Thanks.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
I live in New Paltz when I'm not away at school so if you do move to the area, I'd be glad to show you around.

From New Paltz you basically have these options:

Stewart State Forest, Newburgh NY. 30mins away. Lots of flowy stuff, not too technical. Fast, and that's what makes it fun. Supposedly over 110 miles of trails. There may not be that many but there's at least 50-60.

909, Pleasant Valley NY. 45mins away. Very underrated in my opinion. Lots of singletrack mixed with fireroads, some techy stuff, some flowy stuff. Some steep parts and some good climbs. All in all a good mix. Technical enough to make things interesting. They did some logging there last fall/winter but it's coming back nicely.

Cantral Park trails, Schenectady NY. 1hr. Not a lot of trails here but if you're in the area they're worth a visit. Very well constructed, very flowy. Check out capitalmtb.org for more info.

Blue Mtn, Peekskill NY. 1hr, 15mins. This is one of my favorite places to ride. Very technical and has lots of cool features to mess around on. A bit of a drive but completely worth it. Not a lot of elevation change (peaks at 680ft) but uses almost all of it and the climbs are very technical.

Saratoga trails, Saratoga NY. 1hr 30 mins. This is very much like Blue Mtn but a bit further away. Technical with some fun downhills, also a fair amount of stuff to play with. These trails are superbly maintained by the Saratoga Mountain Bike Association - they even rake them in the fall.

These are the places I ride the most. You've also got Sprain and Graham near Blue Mtn, I've heard they're also very techy. Within New Paltz itself you don't have a lot of options. There's the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail (15mi of old railway turned walking/biking path), some good scenery there. Mohonk and Minnewaska both have a lot of scenic carriage trails - they're each about 15mins outside town. Word has been that Minnewaska is adding singletrack but I don't know much more than that.

Definitely check out the given websites, as they have even more info. If you're really feeling like a trip, Oneonta NY is about 2hrs away and has a lot of trails. I go to school there and run the biking club on campus. Check out our website if you get a chance: http://organizations.oneonta.edu/mountainbiking/index.htm

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you move to Ghent, 909 in Pleasant Valley will be your closest place to ride! If you're into DH/freeriding, Catamount will also be very close to you.

Other places not mentioned: Jockey Hill/Onteora Lake in Kingston/Hurley area are also good options!

EDIT: and Plattekill/Hunter are also within reasonable driving distance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, thanks for the awesome information, folks. Making me less nervous about the move, heck, even excited about having nearby trails. Found out last night that I don't have the possibility of ending up in Ghent, after all. So now it's down to New Paltz, Philly, or western Colorado. I'll know by February.

Berkley: wow. Thank you so much. Awesome info. If indeed I do get placed in New Paltz, I'd really appreciate a tour. Checked out your school club website and it looks pretty sweet. Awesome that you have a group of friends to ride with regularly. Noticed you guys are making a trip to DC area in April. Are there good trails around there? I imagine there are. If I'm coming to NY, it will be mid-April. I've got a sister who lives in Arlington, VA who I plan to visit on the way up, too. Let me know about your trip when you know more details, I'd love to see some of the trails around DC.

Funny enough, probably anything is going to feel really techy/difficult to me, seeing as I'm coming from Florida. I've got the San Felasco trails 10 minutes away (for those of you who are familiar), but it's small potatoes compared most anything else in the US.

I'm not looking forward to figuring out how to get my bike wherever I'm going.

·
921 Posts
From New Paltz you are also reasonably close to some great trail systems in North Eastern PA: A bit of a drive but all are worth it (All of these are 100% singletrack and within about 20 minutes of each other)

Moosic Mountain Conservancy ~1hr 30m, 10-15 miles of very rocky, technical
Hubbard Trails ~1hr 45m, 10miles+ A little bit of everything
Merli Sarnoski County Park ~2hr, 15miles+ rocky, technical
Prompton Dam ~ 1hr 45m, 25 miles Similar to Merli but somewhat less technical, with more flow.

http://www.hubbardbike.com/wordpress/?page_id=8

Edit: Link to NE PA trails - google maps
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...41.133159,-74.926758&spn=3.057324,7.13562&z=8

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
Used to live in NP and here are some other options in the area:

North on Rail trail towards Rosendale: Singletrack trails meander towards the Mohonk Preserve along the west side of the rail trail as you get closer to Rosendale (approx 6.5 miles north if you ride the trail).

Also, try the Jockey Hill area just west of Kingston. Many miles of old Forest Roads and singletrack/powerline trails. Numerous access points, easiest may be from Onteora Lake on Rte 28, Kingston.

Rail trail possiblities and adjoining Singletrack can be head just off of Rte 209 in Hurley, NY. You can link up to the Williams Lake area from here... not sure what access is at Williams Lake, but there were great trails there ~10-15 years ago when I did most of my riding in that area.

Shaupeneak (sp?) Ridge Park near Ulster Park also has several miles of fairly tight singletrack.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.