Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm moving to Fort Myers from Sandpoint, Idaho in August. I'm not excited. From what I've been reading, there's not much in the way riding there or anywhere nearby. Am I doomed to become a roadie? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
136 Posts
basically but not quite. your closest option is an hour north in a town called north port they got some trails on along the myakka creek with some bridges and jumps. not the best but still fun. then about 2 hours away you have markhem park in miami the miami area and alafia. Both of which are pretty good (alafia a little better). and then then theres santos in ocala which is the states jewel for mountain biking. A little over 3hrs north. right now I live in north port but come august I'll also be living in ft myers for college

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Sounds like trouble. On another topic, do I need a car to live in Fort Myers, or can I get away with biking everywhere? How's public transport?

·
Banned
136 Posts
um that depends where you'll be living. If you're living in the lehigh acres or cape coral area you'll def need a car. If you're actually in ft myers a bike could be do able. But not many people down there ride bikes and the roadways have no sidewalks or bike lanes so it will be tricky, Personally I couldn't do without a car.

·
Heroes are overrated.
130 Posts
I feel bad for fastmxer9. He's clearly misinformed.

Check out: http://www.mudcutters.org/

You should be able to get to these trails within 30 minutes, depending on where you live in Fort Myers. There are about 12 miles of singletrack out there and they've been adding new sections (like the expert ridge trail) at a good pace. There are even talks of a rythm / skills area being added. The volunteers out there are nothing short of amazing. The trails are always in good shape (weather permitting) and you can tell everyone cares about keeping things well maintained. There are a lot of friendly and helpful people that visit these trails.

Alafia and Boyette are definately worth checking out. There's a group of 6-8 of us that make trips up there on Sundays. You're more than welcome to come along. Let me know if you want someone to show you around in Fort Myers, as well.

There's a Fat Tire Festival happening in November at Alafia that I would highly recommend and a weekend trip up to Santos would definately be worth it.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Oh snap..

I did hear about that place, then I heard from someone else that it wasn't worth the time. I'll have to check those trails asap. I usually dont like to admit that I'm wrong, but in this case I'm glad I'm wrong =)

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's def. the best set of trails in this town :thumbsup:

I'll add my props to the Mudcutters for the hard work they've done at CRP. I've been enjoying it since it opened in '99.

·
Heroes are overrated.
130 Posts
fastmxer9 said:
is there any elevation changes. I skimmed through a 10 minute video of caloosa on you tube and it looked all flat. perhaps i just saw a bad part of the trails?
I wouldn't call it a "bad" part of the trails. The trails take you through a loop that exposes you to the many different types of terrain available in the area. You'll ride open meadows with quick switch backs to work on your turning, rollercoaster sections that teach you to maintain speed for the challenging climbs immediately after, and extremely technical sections that will challenge you to distort your body to clear sections without dabbing.

The newest section out there is extremely fun and challenging. It will be nice to see a video surface soon of this section.

·
Registered
266 Posts
New trail is sick, as i helped build it. Park normally "closes" between july and october due to rains and flooding, you can ride it but none of us do. Big group rides on tuesdays in the winter months, night riding is way better with 20+ people going race pace. I ride the trail in 42min.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.