Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a job working at a resort in Estes Park for the summer. Where are the good trails at within a few hours drive? Any other cool stuff to do? Races, events, kyaking, concerts...

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Bikerdude1201 said:
I just got a job working at a resort in Estes Park for the summer. Where are the good trails at within a few hours drive? Any other cool stuff to do? Races, events, kyaking, concerts...
Check out TrailCentral.com for trails in the area. I think Crosier is near Estes and I've heard good things about it.

Also, in the summer you can drive through RMNP to Winter Park for a whole lot of riding. Not sure what the drive time would be, although it would surely be scenic...

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Bikerdude1201 said:
Great riding near there...and as said Crosier. There is Lions Gulch too.

It must be good because Dreamride has it on their stash list! ;)..:rolleyes:

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
lidarman said:
Great riding near there...and as said Crosier. There is Lions Gulch too.

It must be good because Dreamride has it on their stash list! ;)..:rolleyes:
Oh.. that's the front range secret? Too bad I don't have a bike worthy enough to ride it!

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Debaser said:
Oh.. that's the front range secret? Too bad I don't have a bike worthy enough to ride it!
Funny you guys mention that. I saw that on their website about a year ago and called them on it. Talked to Lee's wife. Basically, the man and his wife used to live in the area and know "the secret stash." I tried to get more specifics out of her but she wouldn't give. I was just curious to see where they were taking folks.

The irony is that there is only 1 company that holds a permit to do legally lead bike tours in Roosevelt NF, and it isn't Dreamride!

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Bikerdude1201 said:
There's more good mountain biking than you can shake a stick at. Especially nice is the fact that 90% of it is some of the steepest and most technical riding around the front range. Give a holler when you get here and we'll show you around. Lots of good stuff rideable from town if you're up for a big day. The road biking is excellent as well.

WP is only 2 hours over RMNP. It's significantly shorter at night though - no tourists. WP has a great race series, too. Check out www.epicsingletrack.com. Low key, fun, lots of schwag, too. Not much for concerts up there, but Planet Bluegrass has a bunch of multi day fests in the summer. Kayaking is good in Lyons and up the neighboring canyons but I'm not sure about Estes. The boating out here, though is pretty much over by end of June.

Also paradise if you're into hiking. Rocky Mountain National Park. Very nice.

Feel free to email me for more specifics - [email protected]

·
ride
5,275 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Where's Lions Gulch?
I haven't hit that one yet which isn't surprising considering I've only been here for 9 months.

I need to hook up with you guys some this summer.
It's down 36 about 5 miles or so out of Estes. Very good riding there:
http://www.redstonecyclery.com/Lion%20Gulch.htm Ride info, pics, and map.

Although we won't make it up there on a Tuesday ride, I hook up some early, early Sunday rides (shop opens at noon type early) and we'll be hitting Lions Gulch pretty soon, hopefully. Shoot me an email and I'll put you on the ride list.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Where's Lions Gulch?
I haven't hit that one yet which isn't surprising considering I've only been here for 9 months.

Lion's Gulch is a rough, tough place. We take our dogs up there and let them run quite a bit.

Here's some various threads with pics (lots from Ignaz)...

Crowds have been pretty thin through the winter, but sounds like the crowds pick up a lot in the summer. Likely headed up there with the dogs tomorrow...

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Where's Lions Gulch?

Dude, your pack will fall in love with the gulch! Lets make it a date!

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Already do...

But it ain't in the budget :rolleyes: It's an awesome looking bike though (from the pics)!

But after I sold my tele boots (didn't fit my oversized ankle) and climbing skins, I did pickup a very cool bit of schwag from Ignazjr's shop, and it's a HOOT! :cool:

Attachments

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
ignazjr said:
It's down 36 about 5 miles or so out of Estes. Very good riding there:
http://www.redstonecyclery.com/Lion%20Gulch.htm Ride info, pics, and map.

Although we won't make it up there on a Tuesday ride, I hook up some early, early Sunday rides (shop opens at noon type early) and we'll be hitting Lions Gulch pretty soon, hopefully. Shoot me an email and I'll put you on the ride list.
Went to the gulch last night....Surprisingly dry. I was just hiking with the dogs, but there was already someone who had ridden it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just a little public service anouncement...

Highway 36 Estes Park to Lyons will be getting repaved all summer. Working hours are 8 am to 7pm Mon-Thurs 8am - 3pm Fridays, no work on the weekends (unless we get a lot of bad weather or I change my mind)...

I'm thinking it's going to start sometime around the first of June. Sorry for the news guys.. but now for the good news... since I'll be working this project 12 hours a day, I'll have an hour to ride during my lunch break every day.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
yinyang said:
Just a little public service anouncement...

Highway 36 Estes Park to Lyons will be getting repaved all summer. Working hours are 8 am to 7pm Mon-Thurs 8am - 3pm Fridays, no work on the weekends (unless we get a lot of bad weather or I change my mind)...

I'm thinking it's going to start sometime around the first of June. Sorry for the news guys.. but now for the good news... since I'll be working this project 12 hours a day, I'll have an hour to ride during my lunch break every day.
Hey yinyang, thanks for the note. I'm on the Lyons Pathways Commission and we've been discussing the US36 project, but don't have too many details. Is it starting in Estes? We've been told that CDOT won't get to the 2 N St Vrain bridges just outside of town until Spring '06. 36 into Lyons will be at that time?

Also - any shoulder widening? I hate dukin' it out with motorhomes when I'm on my road bike!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.