Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to move to Colorado to be in driving distance from my favorite ski areas (2-3 hrs to Vail, Copper, etc.), and I also want to be in convenient range of decent MTB. I was considering Denver, but from what I know Denver itself is kinda flat and I didn't see a whole lotta trails there in the trail review section. Any recommendations for where to live in CO that has a good tech economy as well as good MTB?

·
Registered
433 Posts
12 miles south of the city is the Denver Tech center with lots of Job ops. It really depends on what your lifestyle is Englewood and Littleton are local to Tech Center and some decent Front Range rides. Both locations are subarban communities. If you want to live in the foothills try Morrison or Golden. Just a couple of suggestions. Good luck.

·
Registered
294 Posts
santa_cruzer said:
If you want to live in the foothills try Morrison or Golden.
I grew up in Golden, and go to school at CU up in Boulder. I spent all 18 years of my life in Golden and can safley say I would rather live there than any other place I have been yet. I live less than an hour from Breckenridge and it's about 1.5 hours to Vail, 1 hour to Copper. I would highly suggest moving to somewhere in the foothills. Morrison is an awesome place as well, and really I lived closer to Morrison and Evergreen than I actually did to Golden...just had a Golden mailing address. There are quite a bit of really fun trails all around the Golden, Morrison and Evergreen area. Shoot me an email if you want pictures or more information

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
i like Golden as well, but it has gotten very expensive...i live in the nw part of Denver and work in Golden..i can be at my choice of a bunch of trails in about 15-20 minutes and my choice of so many in about an hour....like others said, just depends what you are looking for, how much you want to spend etc, etc....give us some more info and we'll be glad to steer you in the right direction....congrats on the move..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking for a 2 bedroom apartment, less than $800/mo preferably. I won't have a job initially, have enough saved up to get by for a while, but I'd like something in the tech field...I do computer tech support now. I like the idea of MTB trails within 10, 20 min. I saw some decent places online in the SE Denver area, but I have no idea what kind of neighborhood it is, what's around, etc. What's the economy like in Golden?

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
Abox said:
I'm looking for a 2 bedroom apartment, less than $800/mo preferably. I won't have a job initially, have enough saved up to get by for a while, but I'd like something in the tech field...I do computer tech support now. I like the idea of MTB trails within 10, 20 min. I saw some decent places online in the SE Denver area, but I have no idea what kind of neighborhood it is, what's around, etc. What's the economy like in Golden?
to be honest i don't know much about SE denver except that i don't care to live over on that side of town, just puts you further away from the great outdoors....i would think you would be able to find an apartment or house for rent in your range in most parts of Denver and the surrounding areas (with some exceptions, like Washington Park)...I think Golden has gotten expensive but would think you could find an apartment there, but would probably have to work somewhere else....so do you wanna drive to ride or drive to work?? i don't know much about the tech field, so i am no help there.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
Abox said:
What's Lakewood like? It looks like it's convenient to both Denver and Golden. I was looking at this place: http://www.rent.com/apartments/colorado/denver-boulder-and-vicinity/lakewood/431536/
lakewood is kind of hit or miss, its big....but its convenient to most everything....don't know that area too well so i am not sure....right now the rental market is pretty good (for a renter) and i would think you could do better than an apartment complex...do you know anyone in denver or vicinity you could stay with for a bit until you find a place?? i found when i moved to denver you had to be able to see the place and area to determine if you liked it, sometimes places sounded great but turned out to be crap or in a crappy area...feel free to send more links to places and i would be glad to let you know what i think of the area, but again denver and vicinity is big so i don't know it all...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Colorado Springs

Another option is Colorado Springs which is about 60 miles south of Denver. The overall city is much closer to the mountain range than Denver (this is one of the reasons we choose it over Denver). It is pretty conservative with Focus on the Family and the Air Force Academy, but I like it! I would at least consider it. Ft Collins might also be good but I haven't spent much time there.

If you are looking for an idea of home prices in Colo Springs, here is a link that will allow you to look at all the same houses that are available to realtors on the multiple listing service. It's free too. Generally speaking, the west and NW are more expensive (up against the mountains) and the east side is more affordable.

http://www.heritagerelocation.com

·
Arrrgggghhh!!
281 Posts
I don't know when you are planning to move, but how I did it was to move in and sublet an apt cheap in Boulder during the summer (college kids all sublet may-mid aug on the cheap). Thay way you'll have time to find a Job, a good apartment, and get familiar with the area before you have to commit to a lease. You shouldn't have a problem finding a sublet in your price range in Boulder for your budget, but you would have to be really lucky to find an actual lease for that price.

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another place area you might consider is the Westminster/Broomfield/Superior area. That puts you in a good spot to commute to potential jobs in Boulder, Broomfield (Interlocken area has a number of tech-jobs), and Denver. I've been commuting from Westminster to Lakewood without much pain. Now, though, I take the public transportation to downtown Denver and have never been happier (especially with gas so expensive). The only place that's really out of reach from here is DTC and places south and east.

When we moved to CO we found a large, brand new 2bdrm apt for around $900/month in Westminster. That included all the discounts. Most places are offering move in specials like 2-4 months free rent. The place is right off the freeway (US 36) and near the park-n-ride. Great location for getting to Denver (15mins), Boulder (15mins), Golden (20mins) and the mountains via I-70 or up to the Indian Peaks and RMNP, west of Boulder. The place recently changed names. Used to be called Retreat at Westcliff. Now I think it's something like Amli at Westcliff.

Anyway...we liked the location so much we bought our house in the same part of town. From my front door it's 60 minutes to Loveland, 75 to A-basin, 90 to Summit Co., and 90 to RMNP. From my door I'm within 20 - 60 minutes of great trails in Golden, Boulder, Lyons, Loveland, and Evergreen.

good luck.

cheers,
dan

·
Registered
150 Posts
I live in Englewood and I think the area is perfect. I am 15-25 minutes from good mtn biking. 1 hour 15 minutes from Copper and 15 minutes from Denver. The housing is some of the most affordable in the Denver area at this time.

I am in the tech field and work in the DTC. We have many companies moving from the Bay area currently. This job sector is picking up and the DTC is getting the brunt of the open positions.

If I had to second anywhere besides the Denver area, it would be Boulder. Co Springs would be dead last on my list.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
I live in Parker(SE Denver) and its about a half hour drive to Jeffco Open Space. Theres about 10-15 good trails within JOS and none of them are more than 45 minutes from my house.

The thing I love about denver is how its a fairly large city but you can drive from one side to the other in 30 to 45 minutes. I would say no matter where in denver you live you'll find that it's easy to get to and from the trails. Obviosly living on the west side of town would be best for ridding, but is't still not a huge drive from anywhere else

·
Registered
395 Posts
Abox said:
What's Lakewood like? It looks like it's convenient to both Denver and Golden. I was looking at this place: http://www.rent.com/apartments/colorado/denver-boulder-and-vicinity/lakewood/431536/
Hey Abox. I looked at those apartments before my last move, and if I remember correctly, they are close to 6th and Union. That is actually really close to Golden, which means you would be 10-15 min from the foothills and some great trails. The only downside with front range trails is that they can be really crowded in the afternoon and on weekends because they are so close to Denver.

Another good thing about this location is that it is a quick shot out of town from here (to the west) for some REALLY good riding and for skiing/boarding.

Good luck.

·
Trail Sanitizer
467 Posts
Abox - one of my co-workers is trying to rent out a 2 bedroom condo at the base of Green Mountain (decent mtb trail) which is in Lakewood for $850/month. It has a garage as well. Send me an email if you're interested.

Email address is pzncrrts at cyclones.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
cost of housing and riding clubs, also personalities.

I am going to move also I work in medical imaging and I enjoy mtn biking the most and rode riding some. I would like to know the best places for affordable cost of housing, riding clubs, and good people. Also any other ideas about moving and settling down for a 40 yr old single guy. thanx

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
CRAIG BRYAN said:
I am going to move also I work in medical imaging and I enjoy mtn biking the most and rode riding some. I would like to know the best places for affordable cost of housing, riding clubs, and good people. Also any other ideas about moving and settling down for a 40 yr old single guy. thanx
are you looking to buy or rent?? my vote is to always stay west of the city as it make getting to riding and the mountains easier...also depends where you work i suppose.. don't know much about clubs, but colorado is full of good folks and easy to meet people that share your interests...

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
billybobzia said:
lakewood is kind of hit or miss, its big....but its convenient to most everything....don't know that area too well so i am not sure....right now the rental market is pretty good (for a renter) and i would think you could do better than an apartment complex...do you know anyone in denver or vicinity you could stay with for a bit until you find a place?? i found when i moved to denver you had to be able to see the place and area to determine if you liked it, sometimes places sounded great but turned out to be crap or in a crappy area...feel free to send more links to places and i would be glad to let you know what i think of the area, but again denver and vicinity is big so i don't know it all...
Lakewood is cool.. I spent 2 weeks there last July...we had dirtjumps...some XC trails...some illegal stuff (not that good) and then the ski areas

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was looking at the Colorado Springs link that was just posted. It looks like property tax is really low in Colorado...that area anyways.

My brother lived in Westminster for a few years and I visited. I absolutely loved the area. I think he rented a nice townhouse for around $800. Ill haev to ask him what the place was called.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.