Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.....Never thought I would be able to do it. I am moving to lake city, Its in hinsdale county....South of durango.
Anyone know what the weather will be like in late may? ever been riding there? if so any info would be much much appreciated...just helps me get to the trails faster!! Thanks in advance?

-Jeremy

· Registered
2,768 Posts
screampint said:
Lake City is North of Durango, South of Gunnison. Rather high in elevation (mid 8000's ft., I believe), not a whole lot of singletrack, but lots of old mining roads for double track. End of May you will be hitting the end of mud season, I would think.
More like smack dab, dead center of the mud season. Then there's the early June dump. But by June 1 you should be able to bop over to Gunny and hit Hartman.

· a dad
2,928 Posts
just curious, why lake city? i have been on some great hikes around lake city, but never mtn biked there in my 10 years in the gunnison valley...sure is a pretty place....

· Registered
1,385 Posts
BetweenTrees said:
Wow.....Never thought I would be able to do it. I am moving to lake city, Its in hinsdale county....South of durango.
Anyone know what the weather will be like in late may? ever been riding there? if so any info would be much much appreciated...just helps me get to the trails faster!! Thanks in advance?

-Jeremy
Perhaps you are moving to Farmington, which is really S. of Durango, but hardly like Lake City.
Let me guess, you specialize in Texas hospitality and you got a job in Lake City ... you'll know what I mean when you arrive.
Beautiful area, about 50 miles S of Gunnison, 50 miles N. of Creede, so you'll have those metropolises to deal with.
Lake City seems to get more precip. than a lot of places in the state, and once the snow melts, I would think you would have limitless alpine rides available to you. Good luck and have fun.

· MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer
634 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.

cbrossman said:
Perhaps you are moving to Farmington, which is really S. of Durango, but hardly like Lake City.
Let me guess, you specialize in Texas hospitality and you got a job in Lake City ... you'll know what I mean when you arrive.
Beautiful area, about 50 miles S of Gunnison, 50 miles N. of Creede, so you'll have those metropolises to deal with.
Lake City seems to get more precip. than a lot of places in the state, and once the snow melts, I would think you would have limitless alpine rides available to you. Good luck and have fun.
Nuttin but steers, and Texans in Lake city. Nothing against steers. Just kidding.

Why Lake City?

TJ

· contains quinine
4,619 Posts
Lotsa Jeep roads to the west of Lake City: I've driven some of the Alpine Loop, gorgeous territory. I imagine there are lots of routes to be had up that way.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a job there... I have no idea what I have gotten myself into, but I live in middle tenn. At the moment, I figure its gotta be better riding than here. Plus its different ya know. So are you guys saying this place is lame? Hope not I am gonna be there for a while.. Nothing a mountain bike, guitar, dog and a beer cant cure? Let me know what goes on there.
Jeremy

· MRI Magnet Quencher Fixer
634 Posts
It's nice there.....Isolated though.

BetweenTrees said:
I got a job there... I have no idea what I have gotten myself into, but I live in middle tenn. At the moment, I figure its gotta be better riding than here. Plus its different ya know. So are you guys saying this place is lame? Hope not I am gonna be there for a while.. Nothing a mountain bike, guitar, dog and a beer cant cure? Let me know what goes on there.
Jeremy
Don't expect a night life.

TJ

· Registered
1,385 Posts
BetweenTrees said:
Jeremy
I don't think it will be lame, but I'll bet it is pretty dead in winter (early Oct. to April) and I know it is full of tourists from Texas in the summer months. If your thing is the outdoors, it will be great!
Here is something to perhaps make it real. The biggest town within 100 miles is probably Gunnison, maybe Monte Vista, and neither is all that big. The biggest "city" nearby is probably Sante Fe, maybe Grand Junction at 3+ hours, and by mosts standards neither is really a city. Denver is 4 to 5 hours as is Albuquerque.
You are moving into the middle of the San Juan mountains far away from everything, 1 road in, 1 road out, but a very beautiful area.
Oh yeah, and don't piss off the one single gal :)

· Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
BetweenTrees said:
Jeremy
Like the others said, Lake City is podunk town in the middle of the (in my opinion) most beautiful landscape in the lower 48. If you like playing the guitar, hanging with your dog and drinking beer it should work out for you. Be careful with the beer though, I know a lot of folks who moved to small mountain towns and let the beer become their best friends.

Good luck with the move and let us know what the singletrack is like.

~Scary

· a dad
2,928 Posts
Oh yeah, and don't piss off the one single gal :)[/QUOTE]

and that one single girl only has two teeth, so lower your standards a bit....seriously it is a quiet town, very beautiful and many places to explore in the wilderness (american basin nearby is really nice)....i think there are something like 300 year round residents...lake san cristobal is on the south side of town and fun in the summer....i lived in gunnison for ten years and made it to lake city on quite a few occasions in the summer but only once in the winter (that was wierd, played in a band for a st patricks party and i think the whole town was there)...in the winter in kind of makes you think its a place where all the people running from the law live..

· Registered
2,768 Posts
TwistedCrank said:
When I was living large in Gunnison in the mid-80's Lake City had a reputation for incest, drunkeness and bad food - not necessarily in that order.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :confused:
Daddy, if I do that thing you like, can I have another beer to wash down Mammas crappy food? :D

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Drunk Incest Sandwiches......What more can I ask for???.....Thanks for all the info. I am only a little scared now. Do any of you do group rides close to Lake City i.e. Durango.... I dont mind a drive. Especially since I have never ridden the trails. I will be leaving tennessee may 21, and should be situated soon after. I Would love to ride some good CO singletrack!

Jeremy

· Linoleum Knife
3,318 Posts
BetweenTrees said:
Do any of you do group rides close to Lake City i.e. Durango.... I dont mind a drive.
Ummmm... are you sure you're moving where you think you're moving? Lake City is close to Durango only on a map. In reality it is probably going to be a 4-5hr drive. You have to go the LONG way over a couple of passes. There are a couple of BIG mountains between Lake City and Durango. I think there are some old jeep-trails but they will take just as long.

Not to try and discourage you, just don't want you to be too surprised.

As for Dgo - there aren't a whole lot of group rides, which is surprising, considering how many bikers are here. There's a whole lot of biking going on - just not really in groups. Most of the Group Rides I see are touristas.

Once you get settled in at Lake City, you should come down to Durango for a long weekend. Lots of riding to do. I'll be happy to show you a few trails. Maybe in exchange for some help siding my house ;)

· Registered
268 Posts
Singletrack is hard to find in Lake City by all accounts that I have ever heard, but there are a lot of jeep trails. It is a really small town, not that that's bad (Schoolkids in Lake city are bussed to Gunnison). On the plus side, Gunnison and Hartman's rocks are about an hour away, and you will be going there a lot, if for no other reason than to buy groceries (The Lake city grocery store isn't much larger than a 7-11). To the east of Gunny, you've got the Needle Creek Res. area off of hwy 50 (+1/2 hour) or the Monarch pass area (1 hour from gunny). Half an hour north of gunny you've got crested butte. I am sure that there are some hidden treasures in lake city, but i am also willing to bet that you drive to a lot of the places i just mentioned. let us know if you find anything worthy in lake city itself, and enjoy lake city, it is really beautifal there.

· starladear
379 Posts
I WOULD DRIVE TO FRUITA FOR SOME AWESOME SINGLETRACK. GO TO OVER THE EDGE SPORTS AT OTE.COM TO GET SOME INFO THERE. YOU WONT BE SORRY. DO THE KOKOPELLI AREA AND BOOKCLIFFS FOR THE BEST SINGLETRACK YOU WILL EVER RIDE ON! GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO COLORADO!!!!!!!
BetweenTrees said:
Drunk Incest Sandwiches......What more can I ask for???.....Thanks for all the info. I am only a little scared now. Do any of you do group rides close to Lake City i.e. Durango.... I dont mind a drive. Especially since I have never ridden the trails. I will be leaving tennessee may 21, and should be situated soon after. I Would love to ride some good CO singletrack!

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.