Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are moving from Indiana to Colorado around the beginning of June . She will be a floating pharmacist around Denver and occasionally Colorado Springs and at this point I will be job hunting/riding.

Where is the best place to live and ride around Denver? We are thinking South/SW Denver or maybe even Castle Rock but we really have no idea what to expect anywhere.

We both ride mountain and road, of course our mountain biking here in Indiana is a little different than what we'll have out there. I'd like to hear what the local cycling community thinks. We're looking for the ideal/dream location to walk out the door and have nice riding available. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Golden is center to everything, except Colorado Springs. If you need to be between the two areas, SW Denver is okay. SW Denver is Suburban hell, however. Them peeps like to park on the highway.

Castle Rock is a pain to make it to the mtns.

Lots of Riding on the western side of Denver (Foothills). Anywhere south of Roxborough park and it gets a little sparse until Mt Herman (Near Monument).

·
tiny rider
623 Posts
I'd suggest trying to keep near Hwy 6 (running east-west) and I-25 (north-south). Especially during non-commute times, 6 is a great way to get to Golden and all the Jeffco parks (and the mountains where you can hang with the ski traffic). And 25 will get you south to the Springs when needed. This won't leave you far from downtown, either.

You preference for new, ranch, historic, etc type homes; attached or single-family; big or small yard; 45 rooms or studio; etc. will also play a role, of course. If you have kids and are concerned with schools, this will likely refine your search more. And finally there is the budget thing. The market has softened, but Denver is still not cheap.

At the risk of being spammy, my wife is a realtor. You can set yourself up for free automated mls alerts at her website, or just browse current listing to get a better idea of what's where, and what your money will get you.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
dean20 said:
We're looking for the ideal/dream location to walk out the door and have nice riding available. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You'll find that doing this for mtn biking is difficult around Denver w/o living in the foothills west of town. Golden is probably your best bet.

Castle Rock might be intersting as it could be a gateway to some good riding between CO Springs, Denver(ish) and Salida (into the mtns).

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Same story

I probably have said the exact same thing in every thread listed above....

Going North/South on I-25 and C-470 sucks. they are always jammed up. I drive I-70 during rush hour every day, and I'm usually only under 65mph for a two mile stretch (minus the occasional wreck). Hwy 6 is good as well. I would move pretty close North/South and go as far west as possible. All the biking stretches from Littleton to Boulder, with the majority around Golden.

If you are commuting to the Springs you will spend 45 min on C-470 (20 minute drive without traffic) and then fly down I-25. I can make it to the springs in 1hr 30 - 1 hr 45 during full traffic, and 1hr to 1hr 15min with none.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Golden

Sgltrak thanks for the links. It sounds like Golden could be the place to be. What is the town itself like for commuting. Does Golden have good bike Lanes/Paths? Are the area trails relatively flat or is there a lot of up/downhill riding? My wife enjoys the faster/flatter xc type trails more than and big descents. I'll love it all but I won't enjoy it as much if she's not enjoying it. Those of you who are married will understand how that works. Thanks again for of your help!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
dean20 said:
Sgltrak thanks for the links. It sounds like Golden could be the place to be. What is the town itself like for commuting. Does Golden have good bike Lanes/Paths? Are the area trails relatively flat or is there a lot of up/downhill riding? My wife enjoys the faster/flatter xc type trails more than and big descents. I'll love it all but I won't enjoy it as much if she's not enjoying it. Those of you who are married will understand how that works. Thanks again for of your help!
The town of Golden is great, but property values are increasing rapidly and homes do not stay on the market for very long. The riding right from town is great, but not easy. The trails are steep and very technical, some the toughest riding I have done anywhere.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
steadyflow said:
The town of Golden is great, but property values are increasing rapidly and homes do not stay on the market for very long. The riding right from town is great, but not easy. The trails are steep and very technical, some the toughest riding I have done anywhere.
:thumbsup:

House is up $15,000 already and there's not even an ounce of cement poured! Woo hoo! I think it's important to find property that is going to appreciate (rapidly). There are not many places in the US that are still doing it. Thankfully, at least the place I'm selling in NJ is staying flat.

They're not all steep. Just White Ranch, Chimney Gulch, Apex, ... :rolleyes:

Goal by the end of the summer: Make it up Belcher on the SS. Notice I didn't say how long it would take for the climb :D .

·
2,856 Posts
schnauzers said:

House is up $15,000 already and there's not even an ounce of cement poured! Woo hoo! I think it's important to find property that is going to appreciate (rapidly). There are not many places in the US that are still doing it. Thankfully, at least the place I'm selling in NJ is staying flat.
Did you remember to check the car registration thing we talked about on Saturday...?

Ed E

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
edemtbs said:
Did you remember to check the car registration thing we talked about on Saturday...?

Ed E
Well, it seems that the SUV I have out here ('01) would be about the same I pay in NJ ($75). My wife's vehicle is $500 :eekster: :cryin: :yikes:! That is unless I am calculating wrong. I think it was 85% of sticker and then 2.1% of that. Seems to me it pays to buy a used car around here.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
schnauzers said:

They're not all steep. Just White Ranch, Chimney Gulch, Apex, ... :rolleyes:

Goal by the end of the summer: Make it up Belcher on the SS. Notice I didn't say how long it would take for the climb :D .
Agreed on the property values, we bought a condo a year ago and our neighbor just sold theirs for $14K more than we paid. Belcher on the SS....I would just like to clean that thing once this summer; however, I did just bring home a new Yeti...maybe that will help. ;)

·
Inflexable...
1,901 Posts
schnauzers said:
Why don't you just stab yourself in the eye with a screwdriver...;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.