Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My wife and I are moving to Colorado Springs in October. We'll be taking a road trip in September to visit the area. Can anyone recommend good areas to check out for rental properties? The closer to trails, the better!

Cheers,

Neil
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,104 Posts
Rental properties?

LNeilB2 said:
Hello All,

My wife and I are moving to Colorado Springs in October. We'll be taking a road trip in September to visit the area. Can anyone recommend good areas to check out for rental properties? The closer to trails, the better!

Cheers,

Neil
Does that mean that you are looking for a home + yard to rent or an apartment? Both are in abundent supply at the moment. Most of our riding is on the west side of town, scattered pretty much all over from the far north to the far south. The west side is the more expensive than the east due to the mountians being closer. The south west part of town is closest to the biggest pocket of riding and is also the most expensive part of town.

With the mountains on to the west, the east side sounds like it would be kinda a bummer but the park is east and there is lots of good riding there. Even on the northeast corner of town, you are still only 30 minutes of Saturday traffic from any trail in town so it's hard to go wrong in terms of riding.

On a side note, the southeast corner of town is considered as the worst part of town from a "bad neighborhood" perspecitve but really even the worst parts of town are pretty decent compared to a big city.
 

·
SS Chimp
Joined
·
525 Posts
how big a house?

there is a house for rent right next door and 1 block from single track in cheyenne canyon...how big a house are you looking for? rentals in this particular part of town (south west) can be can be tricky..sometimes too small but the right price and sometime too expensive
 

·
Hairshirt Rider
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
If you promise

to mow the lawn now and again and not park your big rig on the street my neighborhood would be a good choice ; )

Call a local realator and have them send you a map - that will help give you an idea of the locations. We live very close to Palmer Park, a little bit NE of downtown. The neighborhoods surrounding Palmer (Village Seven, Garden Ranch etc.) have lots of rental houses, reasonably nice and well kept. These are 60's and 70's era. Also lots appartments.

Cheyenne Canyon has lots of trails, but as mentioned above a bit more expensive. Old Colorado City and Manitou are close. Manitou is a bit more funky, but both have some of the oldest neighborhoods in the city and are close to Cheyenne Canyon riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All!

Thanks for the replies. We will not buy for awhile (just sold our house) but will probably rent for the first year to really get a feel for where exactly we want to buy. We don't need more than 2 bedrooms (no kids), but we have dogs, so that limits our selection.
:mad:

Cheers,

Neil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
stay west of I-25

I have lived in the springs for most of my life and there are very few area's that I would live in East of I-25. The one exception is the downtown area but only as far East as the Olympic Training Center. The East and North East sides of town are very tempting because you can get a lot of house for the money. The draw back is the houses are not increasing in value as much as other areas, traffic sucks, and when you live in colorado who the hell wants to drive to the trails. I do not know your income bracket or the price range of house you are looking for but it sounds like you are doing the right thing by renting for a year and then buying a house. Get to know the town and the people. If you prefer the small bussiness to corporate america and a small older house with lots of trees and cool neighbors versus a big ass house with no landscaping that looks like your closest 500 neighbors, then make sure to check out downtown, the Southwest (closest to riding), manitou, and Old Colorado City.

Of course if you are moving here to be close to Focus on the Family then you should stay away from all the areas mentioned and move to the North East side and savor the traffic jams.
 

·
Obviously Single
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
Black Forest or Palmer Park? (Or Chey. Can.)

ozone said:
I have lived in the springs for most of my life and there are very few area's that I would live in East of I-25. The one exception is the downtown area but only as far East as the Olympic Training Center. The East and North East sides of town are very tempting because you can get a lot of house for the money. The draw back is the houses are not increasing in value as much as other areas, traffic sucks, and when you live in colorado who the hell wants to drive to the trails. I do not know your income bracket or the price range of house you are looking for but it sounds like you are doing the right thing by renting for a year and then buying a house. Get to know the town and the people. If you prefer the small bussiness to corporate america and a small older house with lots of trees and cool neighbors versus a big ass house with no landscaping that looks like your closest 500 neighbors, then make sure to check out downtown, the Southwest (closest to riding), manitou, and Old Colorado City.

Of course if you are moving here to be close to Focus on the Family then you should stay away from all the areas mentioned and move to the North East side and savor the traffic jams.
If you want primo riding, it's hard to go wrong.

I used to live in Black Forest, which is a few miles NE of town, but the
houses there are sweet (we had 5 acres for wat 1.5 costs me near Loveland).
And I managed to ride to Monument a few tmies to ride (though it's a ways).

One friend of mine lives near Palmer Park, and another lives near Cheyene
Canon, and both like the close trail proximiity.

Personally, I'd stay away from South East -- it's cheaper but not the most
desirable. (Apologies if some readers live there.)

And if you want liberal (and don't mind tourist traffic), try Manitou Springs. It's
close to the Entiman and Barr trails, and Entiman connects you with Cheyene
Canon.

To quote one of fave commercials, "It's all good." :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again!

I beieve the "Family" must be the large Christian contingent I keep hearing about. ;)
I will definitely shoot for trail proximity. I've lived in three VT town in ten years and have always been able to ride from my back door!
 

·
SS Chimp
Joined
·
525 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
LNeilB2 said:
Hello All,

My wife and I are moving to Colorado Springs in October. We'll be taking a road trip in September to visit the area. Can anyone recommend good areas to check out for rental properties? The closer to trails, the better!

Cheers,

Neil
It would be hard to pick a truly 'bad' neighborhood in the Springs.

Both times I've lived here, it's been in the worst neighborhoods in town, and I still feel safer than I did in the northern suburbs of Denver.

Ozone gave some pretty good advice. The Springs still has very strong neighborhoods. It's alot like 15 small towns that share borders. Political and economic variances can be pretty extreme. ( Although everyone gets along pretty well, because we're all too busy playing outside to sweat the petty stuff. ) If you're homesick for Vermont-style weirdness, check out old town Palmer Lake. Small town drama and some cool rides right out the back door.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,104 Posts
Vermonter eh?

LNeilB2 said:
I've lived in three VT town in ten years and have always been able to ride from my back door!
Where are you from? My wife grew up outside of Rutland.

Yes, Focus on the Family is one of the 38 national religious organizations (at last count) who are headquartered in Colorado Springs. A lot of people focus on the negative aspects of the bible thumpers in town. I personally focus on having the trails all to myself every Sunday morning because everyone is in church... :)

K (reprezenten the east side--word!)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top