Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Crank monkey
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out I'm moving to Canberra from Canada around Nov/Dec this year, so I've been looking at some of the trail reviews. It looks like it's a great place to ride.

But, most of the reviews are old (before the bush fires in 2003) and I'd like to hear it right from you guys. I ride mostly XC, love singletrack and hills, so it looks like I'm moving to paradise.

The best part is that I'll be moving just after the end of our riding season here right into your summer! Woohoo - I get to miss a winter -----> more riding!!!!

So, where are yoru favourite trails, and what can you tell me about the area? What is the weather like, etc.

Thanks, and looking forward to riding with you guys.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah your going to the right place.Majura,Sparrow hill and Stromlo come to mind.The summers are hot though DAM HOT dry heat though.Nights are cool though and Humidity is not as high as it is on the coast.I think if i lived in Canberra i would be riding at night or very early morning.CORCC MTB club is quite strong down there and organize alot of races.Enjoy your time.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Phhhhht. Far too many bearded public servants named John in Canberra for my liking.... :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Smytty,

A early welcome to Canberra to ya. If you are into XC riding and hills then you are in luck. We have lots of both. We do have guides for all of our trails, and am in the process of getting them done in electronic format for putting onto our website, the Canberra Off-Road Cyclists. In the meantime our club newsletter features one of our riding areas in each issue. Check the last two issues out at http://www.corc.asn.au/news/newsletters.asp

We do have a brief description of our ride areas, including trail maps on our race venues page, found at http://www.corc.asn.au/events/venues.asp

My favourites are Stromlo, Majura Pines and Sparrow Hill. Stromlo has some great climbing and a mix of easy and technical trails, Majura is also a mixed bag, shile Sparrow is fast and the easier of the tracks. Between these three alone there is over 80km of MTB trails (approx 38km at Sparrow, 32km at Stromlo + the DH, and over 20km at Majura Pines). We also have other areas for MTB riding, and the city is surrounded by Nature Parks that allow for MTB riding on firetrails (working on the advocacy front to get access to the unlimited s'track in these areas).

When you get into town drop me a line at trailsATcorc.asn.au, and I'll be happy to show you around the tracks.

Cheers.

Reece
Trails Access Officer
Canberra Off-Road Cyclists

·
Registered
290 Posts
bigdamo said:
The summers are hot though DAM HOT dry heat though.Nights are cool though and Humidity is not as high as it is on the coast.I think if i lived in Canberra i would be riding at night or very early morning.CORCC MTB club is quite strong down there and organize alot of races.Enjoy your time.
Hot in Canberra is when it gets upt to 25 degrees! Seriously Canberra doesn't get very many 30 degree plus days in summer, it's more the fact that most people there are not used to heat because it's so cold for most of the year! I remember when it gets to 25 degrees you're pretty much thinking of going for a swim, now I don't like to swim unless it's at least 35 degrees. Should try living in country NSW where it gets to 40 degrees regularly. Or Darwin / Townsville, then you won't think Canberra is hot!

I never discovered the riding much whilst I lived there and I believe it's grown heaps in the last 10 years (suburbs have expanded, house prices and rent is pretty dear). Great place, you're close to the snow, close to the coast. Heaps of mountains around and also the new Stromlo MTB park now. You will find a lot of cycle paths if you like commuting. And generally it's probably not too far to go to find some dirt to ride on.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Reece is right. Canberra rocks for mountain biking. The fires just let new - better - areas grow. Majura is a fun park. Sparrow rocks and rolls and Stromlo will be the best MTB area ever when the trees grow.

Your in big luck coming here. World MTB Championships coming to town, more bike shops per head of population than anywhere else in the wold, and all the politicians live everywhere but Canberra..... (shhhhsss... our secret).

I live five minutes from the city centre yet in 500 meters can ride for over five hunderd kilometers offroad.

Canberra has grown to be a great place - and the best MTB riding in Australia.

CA.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Some Guy said:
I've got some bad news for you Robbo, he actually lives in Sydney. Also, beard? What beard?
Nah, I didn't mean the balding, war-mongering, civil and social rights-destroying twat...

When I used to travel down to Canberra as part of my job (and chasing after a girl, truth be told! ;) ), for a while there every guy I met was a bearded public servant named John. You know the type; grey slacks, blue short-sleeved business shirt and tie, drives a maroon Magna... very earnest. Reads Tom Clancy novels.

It's like they breed down there or something... :eek:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ha ha, I did my schooling there, didn't make it to the recent reunion but most of my school mates seem to be working for the government, and by the sounds of it a heck of a lot of the kids I went to school with.

If you think about it though your best chances are probably getting a govvy job and for most people it's pretty cruizy, you know reasonable work hours or even flexi time, holidays etc etc.

Definitely kicking myself now for not discovering the real trails out there though, but probably just as well, didn't have the bike for it or the money at the time.

After going out to do work experience on a remote mine site for 3 months, it was kind of strange to be flying back on a plane from Sydney to see all these grim faced business men in suits, I guess they were mostly politicians on their commute, certainly a different atmosphere to a mine site!

One great thing about Canberra was alway the shopping centres, you have one close no matter which area you live in. If you have kids the schools are pretty good too, nowhere else have I found that they keep them unfenced so that kids can go & play in the playgrounds or on the ovals on the weekends and out of school time - most other places in Australia seem to fence schools off for some reason (public schools). There is an extensive bus network.

Just watch out for the Magpies in the spring time, even with a helmet on they can be quite nasty!

·
Crank monkey
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the info guys. I'm even more stoked now - it looks like this will be even better than I originally thought.

MTB-Tragic - thanks for the links.

mtbhermit said:
Hot in Canberra is when it gets upt to 25 degrees! Seriously Canberra doesn't get very many 30 degree plus days in summer, it's more the fact that most people there are not used to heat because it's so cold for most of the year! I remember when it gets to 25 degrees you're pretty much thinking of going for a swim, now I don't like to swim unless it's at least 35 degrees. Should try living in country NSW where it gets to 40 degrees regularly. Or Darwin / Townsville, then you won't think Canberra is hot!
Of course, you do realize that you're talking to a guy from CANADA? Here is a picture of my thermometer from last week (No sh!t). At least the worst is over and the snow is starting to melt. And, it wasn't as bad as last year (see picture). My bike is in bits in my basement right now, because now is a good time for some yearly maintenance.

In the summer here, we get a fair number of >30C days, sometimes with the humidex over 40. I welcome the heat compared to the -30s!!

Does anyone have any Canberra trail pics they could post? I'm curious to see what the trails are like. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
There are heaps of Canberra photos from the Aussie MTBR gathering here, and there is a Mount Stromlo video here. We didn't take any photos on the good sections, we were too busy riding! :D

As you may have picked up by now, this is by no means all of what Canberra has to offer!

Dave.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Photos of Canberra Trails

Smytty said:
Does anyone have any Canberra trail pics they could post? I'm curious to see what the trails are like. Thanks.
Check out the club's Trails Resume at
www.members.optusnet.com.au/flashgordon1/trails.htm

Hidden among the working bee photos under the Stromlo and Majura Pines pages are some photos of the trails there. There is also some photos in our CORC newsletter, which you can download here:

www.corc.asn.au/news/newsletters.asp

Cheers.

Reece

·
Crank monkey
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome

Thanks for all the info, guys. I have to wipe the drool off my chin now...

Well done to those who've spent so much time and effort to fix up the trails - that's fantastic. Looking forward even more to coming. It does look like I'd better get in better shape for some of the hills around there. I guess it's all part of the fun.

Cheers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quite a few options to hook up with...

Trails:
Bicentennial National Trail
Hume and Hovell Trail

My ride would take you from O'Connor (my home), to O'Connor ridge, over Black Mountain, to Stromlo, to the Brindies, then south over the alpine parks all the way to the south coast if you wanted... I have done some parts of this - but never in one long ride. I have a buddy who has...

CA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts