Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my family and i are making to the move to queen creek area. I know there is hawes, phoenix has south mountain and then there is flagstaff and sedona. Im coming from so cal and a lot of our stuff is ride to the top and hold on going down. we have lots of rock gardens, high speed with lots of chatter, good uphill climbs ect. My question is i ride a 2021 alpine trail 7 that is a 160/150 bike with a 63.5 degree head angle and 78degree seat angle. Im just curious if thats to much bike for out there. It pedals decently well but still a big bike. ill be riding pretty much everything i can when im not riding moto. Thanks

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
You can easily use a big bike in Arizona and Phoenix (sounds like you are moving to Phoenix). There are plenty of trails to get gnarly on.

Reactions: dysfunction

· Always in the wrong gear
3,517 Posts
That is a 'big' bike for a lot of trails, but as they say "overbiking is not a crime". It's more than you need for sure at Hawes and Usery, but It'll be fun at Gold Canyon, PMP, and SoMo. I've ridden my 2019 AT8 at Hawes, it was fun. an enduro-style bike is a great rig for a lot of AZ. I even don't mind it on things like Black Canyon Trail and Cave Creek.

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,I was worried it may be to much but from the sounds of it I should be fine. From what I was told hawed is close to the area where I’m moving,south mountain sounds like it would be a lot of fun,little hike to Sedona but I can’t wait to get out there and ride.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
That is a 'big' bike for a lot of trails, but as they say "overbiking is not a crime". It's more than you need for sure at Hawes and Usery, but It'll be fun at Gold Canyon, PMP, and SoMo. I've ridden my 2019 AT8 at Hawes, it was fun. an enduro-style bike is a great rig for a lot of AZ. I even don't mind it on things like Black Canyon Trail and Cave Creek.
You can easily use a bike like that on some of the new trails at Hawes and dumping into NRA. I did this this spring.
Goat Camp, SoMo, Pinals, Bill Williams, Sedona, Flagstaff, Mingus, LaMiligrosa, just a fraction of what you can do that is funner on a bike like that. Go for it. Lots of people ride the easy desert classic trail by the numbers, but there's a lot of rough and tech riding in AZ. In fact, I'd call that a little under biked for a few of these, but that will give you better XC versatile and ability to make the climbs.

· Registered
93 Posts
So my family and i are making to the move to queen creek area. I know there is hawes, phoenix has south mountain and then there is flagstaff and sedona. Im coming from so cal and a lot of our stuff is ride to the top and hold on going down. we have lots of rock gardens, high speed with lots of chatter, good uphill climbs ect. My question is i ride a 2021 alpine trail 7 that is a 160/150 bike with a 63.5 degree head angle and 78degree seat angle. Im just curious if thats to much bike for out there. It pedals decently well but still a big bike. ill be riding pretty much everything i can when im not riding moto. Thanks
Yep. Overkill. But who cares. Just ride it. Going downhill at South Mtn you could use your 160. But most places, not so much imo, or rather I should say, lot's of pedaling and getting to places, so much of time won't need the downhill setup per se. Good thing you didn't move in June, you would have stayed in socal. I think this was June 17th in pic, but it was like this all week. PS I know nothing of Tucson except grandparents were from there, but I hear good things if you know where to go, and seems like there is some good downhill type riding there. I know at Mingus Mtn near Prescott there is a nice test for your clearance settings as well.

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The only reason I have this bike because a majority of our trails are climb to the top and descend down and do it all over again. I def don’t mind grinding out hills or even doing a Xc ride,we just don’t have a lot of that here. Main trails I ride or Laguna,San Clemente,whiting wrench and my local spot Greer ranch. I thought about possibly selling it for a shorter travel bike. I’d love to pick up a yeti sb130 but I’m not selling the dirt bike for that lol. Sounds like a 130/140 travel
Bike would be perfect with a 65 degree head angle so you can pound out the pedaling but still have fun going down.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm on a 130/140 trail bike and yeah it does just about everything here well. Its a little under biked on some of the big stuff like SoMo, but not much. I'd say ride what you have, and if you want more of a daily grinder bike after being here a bit, get a hardtail as a second bike.

Look up Spartan Rides (they're also a bike shop) on Meetup. They host group rides just about every weekend. Great group of guys, easy going, and you'll get to learn the trails.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Yeah, the reason that most people don’t use that much travel is most people simply don’t bike that aggressively. AZ for sure has the terrain if you want to. I was under biked in the Fall doing Private Reserve, but the other DH trails in Flag were decent on my 170/160 rig. Sedona was great on Highline, HotH, HH, Hangover, etc. Theres a shuttle lots of weekends at SoMo with full on DH bikes.

· Registered
224 Posts
You should be fine depending on the trail you decide to pedal.

5,889 Posts
I ride a single speed 120mm hardtail and have fun on just about everything in the valley. When I go to Sedona and ride the H trails I usually wish I had full squish, but with how packed it's been I don't go up there enough to justify it anymore.

You'll have fun either way.

· Registered
58 Posts
It will be more bike than needed for a lot of the Phoenix Metro area, (i.e. Hawes, McDowells, and Gold Canyon), but it doesn't sound like you're racing or gunning for strava KOM's, so that doesn't really matter - it will be a bit more work going up, but super fun going down. It will be great to have when riding South Mountain or Sedona. I grew up riding SoCal trails, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how much riding there is out here and the variety - and it's nice to ride something that isn't straight up or straight down.
I live out in Queen Creek, and you can pretty much point your car in any direction and be at a different trail system in 20-30 minutes, so that's fun.

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will be more bike than needed for a lot of the Phoenix Metro area, (i.e. Hawes, McDowells, and Gold Canyon), but it doesn't sound like you're racing or gunning for strava KOM's, so that doesn't really matter - it will be a bit more work going up, but super fun going down. It will be great to have when riding South Mountain or Sedona. I grew up riding SoCal trails, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how much riding there is out here and the variety - and it's nice to ride something that isn't straight up or straight down.
I live out in Queen Creek, and you can pretty much point your car in any direction and be at a different trail system in 20-30 minutes, so that's fun.
That's sounds good. We are going to be staying in spur cross for a bit till we figure out the housing situation. Sounds like I'll have quite a bit to ride and some good trails for my wife and kid.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
I ride a single speed 120mm hardtail and have fun on just about everything in the valley. When I go to Sedona and ride the H trails I usually wish I had full squish, but with how packed it's been I don't go up there enough to justify it anymore.

You'll have fun either way.
So Kiwanis, Holbert, Geronimo, Goat Camp?

5,889 Posts
So Kiwanis, Holbert, Geronimo, Goat Camp?
Those are doable on a hardtail. Definitely not as fun as full suspension, but if you get the itch to climb up and hit them you can.

Phoenix is like most places, there's not a "perfect bike". Was just making the point that you don't NEED a full suspension to ride must of the stuff in the valley.

· Always in the wrong gear
3,517 Posts
Those are doable on a hardtail. Definitely not as fun as full suspension, but if you get the itch to climb up and hit them you can.

Phoenix is like most places, there's not a "perfect bike". Was just making the point that you don't NEED a full suspension to ride must of the stuff in the valley.
I've put in screws with vice grips. Doesn't mean it's a good tool for the job.

I'll happily lend you my GoPro. I would pay good money to see someone ride Holbert on a 120mm hardtail.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.