Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Moving to ABQ area (Rio Rancho), Questions about Mariposa Fat Bike Trails

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bronxbomber252 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am moving to the ABQ area for work in August and will most likely be living in Rio Rancho for family reasons. i notice on Trailforks that there is the Mariposa Fat Bike Trails right there in town and I have a couple questions:

Is it worth getting another bike for riding out there? (Would sell one of my two full sus 29ers to fund it)

True fatbike or is a plus bike adequate? (Prefer the versatility of 27.5+ if it works)

If a true fat bike, does 27.5x3.8-4.0 work well or is 26x4.5-5.0 needed for out there? (i rented 27.5x3.8 for snow riding on a work trip to Alaska this past December and loved the tires handled compared to traditional 26x4.5+)

#3 ·
Is it worth getting another bike for riding out there? (Would sell one of my two full sus 29ers to fund it)

True fatbike or is a plus bike adequate? (Prefer the versatility of 27.5+ if it works)
I would suggest waiting until after you figure out what areas and trails you want to ride the most.

I was going to buy a fat bike a few years ago but ended up with a 27.5 with 3" tires instead. That works well for me for partly sandy conditions.

My 29er with 2.5" tires works OK in sandy conditions and is the bike I chose to ride the most.

Mars

#4 ·
Find myself in the same boat. Moving to Rio Rancho next month and saw the Mariposa Fat bike trails were Fat Bike only. Curious what you ended up going with and how it worked out. Been eyeing a Surly Krampus, but not sure a 29x3 would be enough for those trails as they seem pretty sandy throughout summer.

#5 ·
I have a RSD Sergeant with 27.5x4 that works great. There are trails out there that are regular tire compatible. There are even more trails that are plus bike compatible. But to access the rest you really need a fat bike. I would consider my 27.5x4 the minimum for the trails that go down into the badlands.

I do a lot of regular MTB as well. In the summer I think the sand will get loose and deep enough in the washes that my 27.5x4 will work but be harder. That said, in the summer I won't be riding mariposa quite as much because the big mountain stuff in the Sandias and Manzanos, plus Santa Fe, Taos, and Angel Fire will all be good to go and have cooler temps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.