Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the reasoning, but moving a thread that asks about 29er forks, tires, etc to the forums for suspension, tires, etc doesn't make sense to me. The others forums don't get near the traffic of the 29er forum. And... if the poster doesn't specify that they were talking 29er, it will only add to the confusion, like in this post which was moved: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rigid-fork-740901.html And if you're going to follow that logic, then every new thread can legitimately be moved to some other forum. Why not just kill the forum altogether?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I understand the reasoning, but moving a thread that asks about 29er forks, tires, etc to the forums for suspension, tires, etc doesn't make sense to me. The others forums don't get near the traffic of the 29er forum. And... if the poster doesn't specify that they were talking 29er, it will only add to the confusion, like in this post which was moved: http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rigid-fork-740901.html And if you're going to follow that logic, then every new thread can legitimately be moved to some other forum. Why not just kill the forum altogether?
Time to kill the forum!

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand the reasoning of trying to clean up the forum; there are plenty of non 29er specific questions that get asked. What I don't understand is the moving of threads that really are 29er specific, especially when it seems to be so random, hence my comment about moving them all to their appropriate forum and/or killing this one.

And to the guy that neg'd me for this thread, it may not be about a 29er bike, but it is about the 29er forum. So where else should it go?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I originally posted a 1x10 question in the drivetrain section, got no replies whatsoever, then posted here and got my answer. A few weeks later (once they started moving everything) I added a follow up question to my thread. It promptly got moved, I received negative rep calling me stupid for not posting in the drivetrain forum, and I never received any answers once it got dumped. WTF? The constant thread moving either needs to stop, or the forum needs to be killed. Right now, this setup stinks like horse turds in a rock garden.

·
Plays with tools
4,657 Posts
This thread should be moved to the "General :)

I completely get what your saying though. They want to thin this board down so they are moving things out, then people repost them hear because they didn't get any response in the board it was moved to. Personally I think this whole site is sub divided into holy hell and back. As a result a lot of those boards don't get much use and they become nearly pointless. The 29'er board gets a lot of traffic so people put things hear because they know they are going to get answers, opinions and crazy talk all in one stop.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
I understand the reasoning of trying to clean up the forum; there are plenty of non 29er specific questions that get asked. What I don't understand is the moving of threads that really are 29er specific, especially when it seems to be so random, hence my comment about moving them all to their appropriate forum and/or killing this one.

And to the guy that neg'd me for this thread, it may not be about a 29er bike, but it is about the 29er forum. So where else should it go?
I know, dood. I was just messin' with ya.
I am opinionless on this matter.
:D

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm totally with you...I don't think the threads should be moved.

Frankly, I have no interest in looking at drivetrain, shocks and forks, tires and wheels, brakes, skewers, quick releases, blah blah blah, sub forums in minutiae. The 29er forum covers my interests without making me delve into fifteen sub forums. If the 29er forum is killed, then so goeth my MTBR reading.

Similarly, the Fatbikes forum often covers issues that aren't fat bike specific...e.g. seat posts, racks, etc. And I love it.

Don't change the forum, and quit mucking it up by moving threads around. If you make the 29er forum into a bunch of sub forums, participation and readership will drop.

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
853 Posts
I agree with y'all - mostly. I had a thread moved last week myself. I wanted to know if there were differences between the Fargo fork and the Cromoto Grande fork - both 29er specific. It got moved to the Suspension Forum. Seriously? How does a rigid 29er fork fit better with suspension than 29ers? Does anyone seriously think that guys riding a 150mm DH fork are going to know or care about a rigid 29er fork? Most of them have probably never ridden a rigid fork anyway.

Now I will say that there are some posts that are definitely NOT 29er specific that get posted here everyday. They probably should be elsewhere, but it doesn't take any great effort on my part to not click on those threads if they're of no interest to me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm totally with you...I don't think the threads should be moved.

Frankly, I have no interest in looking at drivetrain, shocks and forks, tires and wheels, brakes, skewers, quick releases, blah blah blah, sub forums in minutiae. The 29er forum covers my interests without making me delve into fifteen sub forums. If the 29er forum is killed, then so goeth my MTBR reading.

Similarly, the Fatbikes forum often covers issues that aren't fat bike specific...e.g. seat posts, racks, etc. And I love it.

Don't change the forum, and quit mucking it up by moving threads around. If you make the 29er forum into a bunch of sub forums, participation and readership will drop.
I totally agree with this. I'm sure this was covered in the forum subdivide thread, but 29erism is a movement. This is the major online home of that movement. So what if things are discussed in this community that are not always 100% 29er related. In many cases they're being discussed by people who swiched to 29ers before it was popular and when they were still being mocked and derided as a fad.

This was/is the place you could go to discuss all things 29er including tires, forks, and wheels where many people who enthusiastically supported 29" bikes could congregate together and learn from each others collective experience. This forum, in my opinion (cause I have no empirical evidence to back it up) is likely responsible for a lot of the 29er products we have today as it was/is a sounding board for testing and enthusiasm of 29er products that manufacturers obviously paid attention to. Manufacturers did not switch over their product lines because pro racers were demanding this stuff, it is because the 29er forum community was demanding it, and selling it to the people who lurk here. Do you honestly think the 29er movement would have been that strong were it not for this forum?

Why in the hell would you even consider disbanding a tool that so powerfully supports the products that have taken this wheel size from laughable obscurity to where it is now. I can only think that the people calling for disbanding this forum are bitter 26er holdouts jealous that they don't have a home of their own. So start a 26er forum. That makes more sense than disbanding this one. (Obviously those wanting to disband this forum do not all fall into that category.)

If this 29er home goes away, then so will this reader. Any not 100% 29er content that I don't want to read I don't. But I've learned a lot about non 29er specific stuff that I woudn't have learned else where because I don't bother going to the other forums. This is my mountain biking home.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
For the people complaining about their threads being moved:

Did you do a general site search for the information before you posted it up? So many of the same questions get asked over and over again on mtbr.

Most other sites have veteran members who wont help but will just say 'Do a search noob'. +1 for the MTBR Community being a little more patient, but -1 to MTBR members who dont know forum etiquette.

Search first, ask later. If you searched for info you'd be directed to the proper forum and then people in the future will also be able to find it more easily.

Do you read the FAQ threads at the top? These generally link to threads that answer common fork, gearing, tire questions.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
For the people complaining about their threads being moved:

Did you do a general site search for the information before you posted it up? So many of the same questions get asked over and over again on mtbr.

Most other sites have veteran members who wont help but will just say 'Do a search noob'. +1 for the MTBR Community being a little more patient, but -1 to MTBR members who dont know forum etiquette.

Search first, ask later. If you searched for info you'd be directed to the proper forum and then people in the future will also be able to find it more easily.

Do you read the FAQ threads at the top? These generally link to threads that answer common fork, gearing, tire questions.
Thanks for the lesson, I'm such a noob. :p

MTBR Community if more patient because we know how bad the search function SUCKS, and how out-of-date the FAQs are....................

Now use the search and show me where the "29 minute x-firm spring" thread is; I'm tired of reading the 200+++ thread results that come up when I try it. :confused:

Reactions: coachjon

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Agreed,this is getting crazy...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.