Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to ask this, but this forum seems most appropriate. You all will probably think I'm crazy, but I love my early 90's Haro Extreme enough to do this...
I upgraded to a Marzocci suspension fork & V-brakes, and it's awesome, too awesome in fact. The stock rear brakes are center pull cantilevers, and they are vastly underperforming the front V-brakes. I will do a forward flip over the bar someday if I don't fix this! I want to know if it's kosher to remove the stock bosses & weld new ones a bit farther toward the rear wheel hub to accommodate rear V-brakes? What are the draw backs of doing this?

Fyi, It does not have any provision for disc brakes either.

·
Bike Freak
324 Posts
I'm not sure where to ask this, but this forum seems most appropriate. You all will probably think I'm crazy, but I love my early 90's Haro Extreme enough to do this...
I upgraded to a Marzocci suspension fork & V-brakes, and it's awesome, too awesome in fact. The stock rear brakes are center pull cantilevers, and they are vastly underperforming the front V-brakes. I will do a forward flip over the bar someday if I don't fix this! I want to know if it's kosher to remove the stock bosses & weld new ones a bit farther toward the rear wheel hub to accommodate rear V-brakes? What are the draw backs of doing this?

Fyi, It does not have any provision for disc brakes either.
Have you tried mounting V-brakes on the cantilever studs? You should be able to use V-brakes on the preexisting studs without the need to move them.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
They will take V-brakes, but the pads would squeeze the tires, not the rims. On center pulls, the pads are below the bosses & on V-brakes the pads are above the bosses.
You have roller cam/u-brake bosses.
Traditional cantilever brakes are also center pull.

If the frame is steel, and frame builder can cut off the old bosses and add canti studs. The two are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nope. As long as the person doing it knows what they are doing. Heck might be able to put discs on it. As long as you have room for a rotor and the hub spacing is wide enough.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.