Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I will be moving from the Portland area back to SoCal in the next couple months (no that's not what I need advice about). I have six to eight bikes that I would rather not just throw in the back of the moving truck, and was hoping for some advice on how to pack and transport them. I could put four on the roof rack of the car but then I would have to take them down at night and bring them into the hotel and worry about them getting ripped off every time we stop to eat or go potty. I could also box them up as if I was shipping them and put them in the truck but that seems like a lot of work. I know some of you must have moved with your collections and was just looking for some pointers and advice. Thanks

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
give me your address in Portland and I will handle it for you :thumbsup:

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
moving blankets, lots of em

or try and talk your local trek shop outta a bunch of madone boxes

·
Visitor
781 Posts
When I moved from Seattle I had the same dilemma. I stripped them all down, put all my parts in a couple of boxes, packed real good. Then I bubble wrapped my frames and stashed them in the back of the SUV. Once I was settled in over here I had a build party with the owner of my new LBS and his right hand mechanic. I supplied the beer and tacos, they helped me get them built back up and supplied new cables, etc. Good luck!

Edit: I should add that these guys were original Bradbury Manitou boys. So, they were really into helping me out with the old stuff. Learned a great history of the whole Manitou story, etc. while I was at it.

·
I picked two too many
766 Posts
When I moved I got my hands on a bunch of bike boxes (many shops will give 'em to you)

then -

go git yersself a buncha foam pipe insulation for the local hardware store 1" for steel and rears, 2" for the aluminaminum ones

got all mine moved by the moving company without any probs

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Pack your bikes yourself in bike boxes and ship them via a reputable courrier with GOBS of insurance. Pad them up so you know how well you've done it...or better yet, bring them along in YOUR vehicle with you...

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Its really not that much work - generally all you need to do is remove the pedals, stem/bar, front wheel, seat/seatpost and shove it in a box, should take you half hour mabie 45 minuts tops to do 8 bikes supposing all goes smoothly. Put them on the truck and your set.

·
He be a moose too.
2,164 Posts
I pack my bikes with the rear wheel in them so you're set for the rear triangle, but make sure to get a spacer for the fork. Remember that forks are strong vertically, sideways not so much.
If you're LBS doesn't have official spacers, you can cut a dowel to 100mm and hold it in place by screws in the end of the dowels.

G

·
if the bike are important to you and you don't want to damage them pack them as if you would ship them. i did it with 12 or so when we moved over here and will have to do it with quite a few more when we move on. it's a lot of work but if they are important there's no alternative.

after i wrapped them they went into bike boxes that i re-inforced in critical areas. and it was the right choice. when they arrived here after 6 weeks all boxes were damaged and were stacked flat on top of each other although they were all labeled properly. the movers who packed them knew what's in there but not the guys who unpacked the container and loaded the truck... the bikes were fine though.

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
When I moved from Chicago to San Diego I was on my own (no movers), so I had to put all my bikes on the rack on the back of my Jeep (which was on a trailer behind the Uhaul truck). It wasn't as big of a pain bringing them into the motel room every night as I thought it would be, and at least that way you know they're safe. If you have to pack them up though, follow the advice above and over-do it. Moving company guys are worse than airline baggage handlers :p . Make sure you specifically state the bike values for your insurance too, a lot of insurance adjusters have a hard time accepting that a mere bicycle can be worth thousands of dollars.

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stan4bikes said:
give me your address in Portland and I will handle it for you :thumbsup:
Thanks, but I need my bikes to make it to my new house not end up in Seattle.;)

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the advice. I think at least now I have a plan for how to get it done. Now I just need to find half a dozen bike boxes.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
-Anomie- said:
When I moved from Chicago to San Diego I was on my own (no movers), so I had to put all my bikes on the rack on the back of my Jeep (which was on a trailer behind the Uhaul truck). It wasn't as big of a pain bringing them into the motel room every night as I thought it would be, and at least that way you know they're safe. If you have to pack them up though, follow the advice above and over-do it. Moving company guys are worse than airline baggage handlers :p . Make sure you specifically state the bike values for your insurance too, a lot of insurance adjusters have a hard time accepting that a mere bicycle can be worth thousands of dollars.
I've had enough problems with damage to know that you always list full value before and be ready to substantiate. Consequently, while I've had my share of bikes damaged in shipping, I've generally been made whole by the insurance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts