Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I upgraded to carbon wheels but they have 6 bolt compared to my previous stock centerlock wheels.

I have shimano XT 8100 (?)(newest) dual piston brakes front and rear.

It came with Shimano ice tech rotors which I believe are 1.8mm thick.

After upgrading wheels I went to the local bike shop and grabbed some Magura rotors but they must be thicker because they rub the whole time and the brake lever doesn't squeeze as much as it did with ice techs.

Do I have to order shimano 6 bolts?

Besides the Maguras, the cheap ones from Amazon (corki?) do the same thing, too thick..

I don't see many options listing how thick they are, which is odd considering it seems pretty important.. Or maybe it's not and I'm missing something.. Or doing it wrong?

Now that I'm looking I can't even find where I saw that ice techs are 1.8mm. Magura on back country says 2mm. Can't find SRAMs thickness..

Any help? Can I order SRAM centerline or do I need shimano? The centerline ice techs look the best (IMO) but since I need 6 bolt I think SRAM looks good and performs good as well..

·
damned rocks...
2,805 Posts
Magura rotors are thicker than the ones from Shimano, but I have no problem running a Magura MDR-P 203mm up front with my XT brakes, also the lever throw didn't got shorter.
Did you retracted the caliper's pistons before installing the new rotors?

·
Registered
461 Posts
So I upgraded to carbon wheels but they have 6 bolt compared to my previous stock centerlock wheels.

I have shimano XT 8100 (?)(newest) dual piston brakes front and rear.

It came with Shimano ice tech rotors which I believe are 1.8mm thick.

After upgrading wheels I went to the local bike shop and grabbed some Magura rotors but they must be thicker because they rub the whole time and the brake lever doesn't squeeze as much as it did with ice techs.

Do I have to order shimano 6 bolts?

Besides the Maguras, the cheap ones from Amazon (corki?) do the same thing, too thick..

I don't see many options listing how thick they are, which is odd considering it seems pretty important.. Or maybe it's not and I'm missing something.. Or doing it wrong?

Now that I'm looking I can't even find where I saw that ice techs are 1.8mm. Magura on back country says 2mm. Can't find SRAMs thickness..

Any help? Can I order SRAM centerline or do I need shimano? The centerline ice techs look the best (IMO) but since I need 6 bolt I think SRAM looks good and performs good as well..
Magura rotors are 2.0mm thick. You can make it work with XT brakes but tolerance for not rubbing get reaaallly small.
Better to stick to existing Ice-tech rotors, they work great 6 + they reduce pad wear because of better cooling.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Spread your pads
This is exactly what I was going to say as well. I haven't run Magura anything, so I can say for sure, but that is the first thing that I'd do. Press the pistons all the way in and then put your pads back in. Center the caliper over the rotor and pull the lever and hold it for a good few moments to let the seals set themselves to that position.

Pump the lever after that and check for clearance, adjust position as necessary. Might do the trick?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,132 Posts
This is exactly what I was going to say as well. I haven't run Magura anything, so I can say for sure, but that is the first thing that I'd do. Press the pistons all the way in and then put your pads back in. Center the caliper over the rotor and pull the lever and hold it for a good few moments to let the seals set themselves to that position.

Pump the lever after that and check for clearance, adjust position as necessary. Might do the trick?
I did exactly this with my Shimano SLX 2-pot brakes when I decided to install new (read: thick) pads with my 2.0mm thick rotors.
Well, I had to do one more thing while spreading the pistons -- I had to open the bleed screw on the top of the lever's master cylinder so that excess mineral oil would be discharged while I pushed the pistons in. Removing excess oil is the only way I could get the pistons pushed back fully into their bores, and yes, the pistons must be pushed 100% back into their bores in order to have enough room for 2.0mm rotors + new pads.
It did work.
But barely.
There's enough room to run a 2.0mm thick rotor plus new pads in a Shimano caliper if everything is perfect, and by perfect, I mean your rotors better run absolutely true.
=sParty

·
Registered
109 Posts
Best option would probably be to use Shimano rotors.
Just measured my used SM-RT86-L 203MM ice tech as 1.70mm (likely a bit worn).

But I think you could likely make the Magura work by "bleeding" your pads using the Magura rotors instead of a bleed block. So the clearance will be set correctly. Likely need to let some fluid out which is why I recommended a bleed instead. If you are fairly familiar with tuning the brakes you could possibly let some fluid out only.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have been running Storm rotors with 2 piston XTR trails (whatever that model number was) This is the only time I have found that the bite adjustment screw on the lever ever did anything. Backing it out definitely equalized the bite point on the front and rear. No current rubbing but things can change.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Magura rotors are thicker than the ones from Shimano, but I have no problem running a Magura MDR-P 203mm up front with my XT brakes, also the lever throw didn't got shorter.
Did you retracted the caliper's pistons before installing the new rotors?
Spread your pads
This.

And:
I can't see why disc thickness would matter. Distance between the brake pads doesn't affect pad travel.
^^^ Agree
It shouldn't
It only becomes a problem when the disc + new pads are too thick for the caliper.
Some aftermarket pads are a bit thicker than original pads, using up the extra space.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.