Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thoroughly enjoy SS riding and the understood shared pain and gain we all feel and share on the trail and the forum. Great camaraderie. Kudos to the SS community. With all of that enthusiasm I have been lead astray (you must all share the blame for my expenditure here). Some may remember my earlier SS bike, Greystoke - a carbon Highball SS.

Once I start on it, it took me months to get off it again. It was so much fun, and super fast.

After the 2 hour ride mark though, it started to hurt. The forum word "steel" kept popping into my head at these weaker moments of pain, especially around the 3 hour mark. It is probably me (my physical and mental weakness) and I am purely rationalising my reasons for self serving purposes. Anyhow, I have now entered the grand experiment. I am changing from a Carbon SS to a Steel SS. (although I do have unfaithful eyes for the new One RDO rigid - I admit it, I am very ill)

Aside from new bike delirium at all things carbon, I'm looking forward to the feel of steel. You bastages better be right ;)

Here is my new steed, in the making.

A big thanks and wrap to Walt at Waltworks. Great service and attention to detail. Walt is a very professional operator. I enjoyed working with you mate.

Naked

William5.jpg

William9.jpg

William12.jpg

Nice bits include curved top tube for clearance and one size up on the down tube, not that the smaller size couldn't do it. This size will track the rough better perhaps.

Not so naked

WW_1.JPG

WW4.JPG

WW_6.JPG

Okay, so I added stuff. Just so I will know which one is rigid...

WW_7.JPG

WW_8.JPG

And routing for a dropper post

WW_3.JPG

Should be built up by the end of the week.

You guys had better be right about steel.....

Seriously, can't wait to ride it. Although I am in fear. I sold the Highball to a friend, I had the normal lead time, and Walt has done a great job and when my name reached the short list and it started to happen, it all happened quickly.

The design and geo that I ended up choosing was speculative to some extent, so I am still very nervous about how it is going to ride. It has a lot of similarities to a Nimble 9 and a Ros 9 geo wise, so I shouldn't be too far off the mark.

However, I haven't ridden SS for many months and I know there is a lot of underlying jelly in those legs, just waiting to scream at me and bring about involuntary collapses, particularly when the wife asks me to do jobs around the house...

I'll show you some pictures when it's built up.... later. Looks like I might be riding him on Sunday.

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
I thought you had this already? Beautiful frame BTW. Will be interested in what you find with steel....i am happy with the ride of my Ti frame, but have unnatural thoughts about super light carbon. Best not to try in case I like it too much.

·
Registered
524 Posts
So loud! I love it! Love that you painted the fork to match...that "squish" is great.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The painted fork really does take it to another level. Can't wait to see it finished!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks very nice mate.

And remember, you can always build up one of those One 9 RDO and have both ;-)

I have a One 9 RDO rigid SS - best bike I ever rode period!

That being said, I am building up a Nimble 9 (2014 has 142 rear axle!) as my squish/gravity bike.

The plan is to ride both depending on terrain and mood.

In any case looking forward to see photos of your build.

Ride on,

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

Yep finch2, finally there. And yep, I do like Ti - a lot. Spoilt for choice we are. Maybe I could rationalise a Ti CX.

Now Sattvic I didn't need that sort of advice, but I am sorely tempted. A perfect pair of SS's

I have just picked it up from the LBS, she's all built up and I am ready to roll for Sunday. Rode it around the carpark, my fitness fears were overcome by the honeymoon excitement.

Some trivia, a L Highball has a wheelbase of 43.3" @ 70.5 HA, my WW has a longer top tube, a 68 HA and the WB is 43.1". Happy days, feels very good dicking around the carpark, front loads up nice and the back is a whole lot of terror... The stand over is off the charts.

I'll get some pictures soon.

Thanks again guys.

W

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
with that wheelbase and HA...I am guessing you have a very short CS...that bike is really nice...if only I had spare cash! It should handle and ride beautifully. Great thing is with sliders you can play with CS length depending on how you want it set up, but awesome SS configuration. Will look forward to hearing what you find.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Awesome looking frame... looks badass with the color matched fork. Can't wait to see the finished build!

That being said, I am building up a Nimble 9 (2014 has 142 rear axle!) as my squish/gravity bike.
Nice little nugget of info right there. Whats more, the new drop out will fit the 2013 frames if one were so inclined. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mattkock. I have seen your latest creation, it looks fantastic mate. I have to say I have lurked in many of your past posts, I remember the A9C you did.

All great work there, very impressive weights in the end. I hate your posts though, because I end up getting enthused about building something that is sub 9kg or even sub 8kg. It always amazes me how small differences can really add up for the final product, or weigh in.

I hope you can enjoy your creation sooner rather than later. Cheers

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As promised, here it is built up. Standard carpark and office shots...

WW 9.JPG

WW 11.JPG

WW 12.JPG

I had my first ride and all I can is, it was all smiles. It was nice to return to the SS way of doing things.

Of course I am still feeling my way with the last few tenths of grip and other positive nuances the bike demonstrates , overall though, you can really get into the bike and grab a whole bunch of fun. Getting low and going on the attack is the brief. I remember entering a corner and tried to moto it a bit, foot out, and the thing just gripped and ripped around the corner. I'll just have to try hitting it harder now... dang it, too much grip.
XCing along and up and in the tight stuff was fine, tracked really well. Tech climbing was easier, the front wheel pops up so easily.

Overall, a great package to play with and I am stoked it is living up to my intentions - in fact, exceeding them on the honey moon ride. Can't wait to explore, or should I say exploit, some more. Go the Waltworks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I love it. You will love it even more as you ride it. I have a Ti SS and a Steel Rigid SS and I love both of them and will for years to come as long as my 59 year old body can take it. :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks BigRed and robertdavid.

I'm 52 and I'm still not smart enough to come up with a reason for getting a Ti. I truly would like a Ti, but dang it, I can't think of a niche for one in the quiver - not just yet anyway....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just went the opposite direction and went from steel to Air 9 Carbon. I resisted for a long time thinking stiffness of carbon would break me down on long rides. I pulled the trigger and bought the Niner. I also bought the flexible Niner RDO seatpost. The ride is surprisinsing much more comfortable than my steel SS. I now a firm believer that components (seat, seatpost, handlebars, tires) can be more important in ride quality than frame selection. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers mattkock.

Hey have you healed up, can you ride yet? It must be killing you with those darn decent Niners of yours. Go give that Sir and Jet a go - let us know how you like them.
W

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
Oh yeah I'm all healed up and back tearing it up. Been getting in 4 rides a week for a few weeks and I just took a bunch of friends Downhilling in AngelFire NM for my birthday 2 weeks ago and it was great. I started downhilling in 1994 and it's like Crack on a Bike. Here is my DH rig for the past 2 years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts