Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I�ve been browsing this forum for a while and rarely take the time to post�but 1 issue that seems to keep coming up is the HT vs FS discussion. So I thought I�d add my 2cents. ;)

I started on a hardtail and have been riding for 3.5 � going on 4 years. I�m petite(4�10� & a tad over 100 lbs) so off the shelf bikes weren�t (and still aren�t) an option for me. My first bike(and current bike) is a custom 12� Dean steel hardtail.

As with any first bike, after I rode more and more there are a few things I don�t like about my HT � namely fit. I feel the top tube is still a bit too long and the standover height is minimal � I KNOW I�ve fallen over because I can�t reach the ground � esp. when on an upslope. (I have this issue with my motorcycle too)

Other than the fit issues � I love my little my hardtail � I don�t know if it�s because it�s steel � I never feel brain rattled or beat up after a ride. AND I do go on longish rides (~30 -40miles) during the season. I�m tired after those types of rides, but it�s because I�ve been riding my bike for hours!

I am now an intermediate technical rider and am really, really happy I learned on a hardtail. Learning on a hardtail forced me to learn how to use my arms and legs as suspension, how to pick a line, the technique of getting out the saddle and cranking over rocks, getting out the saddle on a steep climb, the list goes on and on. Recently, I�ve read that learning to wheelie, hop or manual are best learned on a hardtail due to all the energy you put in the bike is immediately returned - with suspension the energy takes longer to load and unload and requires more effort to get the bike up.

So why am I going to a FS? Heck � I�m asking myself the same question. After recently riding some fairly technical sections on a local trail on my hardtail and seeing others with more expensive FS walking the same section � I was thinking �now *why* am I dropping big $ on a FS when I can ride everything I want to ride?�

I wanted a new bike due to the fit issues mentioned above and a lighter bike. I dabble in racing and wanted something that would float over rough sections a bit easier. Since I already have a hardtail it seemed silly to buy a more expensive version of what I already have so I bit the bullet (saved my $ for a while) and ordered a new FS bike.

Due to my size � I had 2 really good options � a custom Titus Racer-X (xxsmall was still too big for me) or a custom Seven Duo w/80mm rear travel. Both are high quality, good looking bikes, but I went with the Seven basically for a �girlie� reasons � I like the way it looks. I like the svelte chainstays on the Duo vs. the beefy machined chainstays on the Racer-X. It�s purely a personal preference as my boyfriend prefers the beefy look on the Racer-X. Also, Seven licensed the Maverick rear suspension design and I like the way that looks too.(I hear it works really well too!) Totally girlie reasons, eh?? ;)

Now my new bike is being welded and I�m nervous I made a mistake. I�ve never ridden a FS on a trail. Everyone swears I�ll love it, but it�s gonna be a big bummer if I don�t like it! I guess I�ll find out soon � my new frame is �supposed� to be shipped sometime this week. Yikes!

Happy ridin� girls!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Give it a few rides before you decide...

When I went from my hard tail to my fs, I have to admit, I wasn't sure I made the right choice. I thought it felt slower and unresponsive because I wasn't used to it. Preloading the shock and all that was something I needed to learn and it just all felt funny in the beginning especially with log crossing. Well after a few rides on it, I got used to the new "sensation" and now I think it is awesome....I'm sure you'll love it once you have confidence in your bike, whatever you ride.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
as long as it fits you, and i have no doubt the folks at seven made a bike that will fit you, you will love it. :)

i have ridden a HT for most of the time i have mtb'ed. i race, i ride, i train and i love my HT (Trek 8000 wsd size XS). but about 2 years ago i bought a custom Dean FS. i loved it on the descents. unfortunately, it was a poorly done custom frame and it never fit me right. as a result i sold it and went back to my HT.

currently i have a custom Racer X (i'm between the xxs & the xs sizes) frame sitting in my living room waiting for a few remaining parts so that i can build it up as my race bike. i can't wait to get on it and be able to fly down the hills the way i could on the Dean. hopefully with all the work i did with the guys at titus it will also fly up the hills and along the flats! :)

i am sure you will love your seven.

rt

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
First off, your boyfriend is a knucklehead.

Second, you'll love your Seven like it's your new baby. I was scared to death when I dropped lots-o-cash on my Seven. If it's not right, Seven will make it right.

Third, FRC thinks brg is HOT!!!
(If you're not my girlfriend, I'm in big trouble) ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
You won't be sorry at all

The Maverick design is the best thing out there. You're going to be so psyched!! And don't forget, the true purpose of suspension is to keep your tires in contact with the ground and improve traction. Hardtails just buck around over overything because they lack that compliance. Once you get your suspension dialed, you will be riding even MORE things that other people walk. :) Plus, your knees will thank you. Honestly, while there's nothing inherently wrong with hardtails, the FS technology is so good that there's hardly any reason to ride one anymore. And since Jeremiah Bishop won a NORBA National last year on a 28-pound FS bike with disc brakes AND a flat front tire, we can't whine about weight anymore, either!
Have a great time on your new bike... you're a lucky lady to have such a sweet ride!

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
I have a HT and a FS. Some trails are just better for the FS (super rocky, long extended pounding descents, or big drops), even though I most of the time ride a HT. I would never give up my FS (which is a racer-x) entirely.

Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
324 Posts
That is one seriously sweeeet bike. I have to agree with you on the chainstays. Beautiful for a FS rig. I would certainly be a bit nervous too. That is a lot of $$ to lay out without a test ride. Do post some pix when you finally get it. Love to hear a ride report too.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-kelly- said:
That is one seriously sweeeet bike. I have to agree with you on the chainstays. Beautiful for a FS rig. I would certainly be a bit nervous too. That is a lot of $$ to lay out without a test ride. Do post some pix when you finally get it. Love to hear a ride report too.
yeah - I'm totally decking it out too - it's scary expensive (that's why I drive an old car!) esp. for never riding a FS. Sooo I better like it, eh? Also, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 22ish pound bike. I'm thinking having an 11" frame will help in that regard.

I recently had a garage sale to clean out my living room for a new couch I had my eye on. After everything sold I figured out I'd have to skimp on my bike for the couch. Needless to say - I don't have a new couch. ;) (a girl's gotta have her priorities, eh?)

I'll post pics. I heard it shipped yesterday - should have it built up in time for my trip to Moab next Wednesday!

·
Registered
324 Posts
brg said:
I recently had a garage sale to clean out my living room for a new couch I had my eye on. After everything sold I figured out I'd have to skimp on my bike for the couch. Needless to say - I don't have a new couch. ;) (a girl's gotta have her priorities, eh?)
LOL. I feel your pain. I so need new bedroom furniture. I am actually using a cardboard box as my nightstand. I am though almost finished building up my custom Serotta road bike ;)

BTW, 22 lbs fully built, very nice. Let us know how you spec'd it. Enjoy Moab. It's an amazing playground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.