Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necessary to coat the edges of tubless tires with water before mounting the tires? I saw mechanic installed the tires on my bike by applying a coat of water around its rim. Can I just mount it without putting water on the tire edges?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I had trouble getting one of my first tubeless tires mounted and took it to a shop. I think the guy put some water around the edge, but the real secret to getting the tire mounted was the compressed air. I had a compressor but never thought about using one. I bought a set and one of the two leaked air from day one, eventually I put Specialized Air Lock inside which solved the problem. To get the tire seated also on the rim the compressed air is nice to really bring the pressure up quickly.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Picard said:
Is it necessary to coat the edges of tubless tires with water before mounting the tires? I saw mechanic installed the tires on my bike by applying a coat of water around its rim. Can I just mount it without putting water on the tire edges?
If you can get it mounted sans water, then no. The water was likely used as a lubricant to help get the tire mounted up. On UST Tires, I believe the use of tire levers for mounting/dismounting is frowned upon.

Some tire/rim combinations can be very hard to mount by hand, so the mechanic may have just been using the water as a way to ease the mounting process. I had to heat up a non-UST Kenda Nevegal the other night just to get it mounted. I let it soak in really hot water for about 5 minutes and it went on much easier after that.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
air lock, compress air ?

borregokid said:
I had trouble getting one of my first tubeless tires mounted and took it to a shop. I think the guy put some water around the edge, but the real secret to getting the tire mounted was the compressed air. I had a compressor but never thought about using one. I bought a set and one of the two leaked air from day one, eventually I put Specialized Air Lock inside which solved the problem. To get the tire seated also on the rim the compressed air is nice to really bring the pressure up quickly.
What is an air block? did you buy from specialized? Where did you buy the compress air tank ? Can I use the plain floor pump?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
You do not need to lube the bead to mount tubeless tires. It can help though.

Schwalbe makes a Mounting Fluid that works very well. One of the sales reps told me it also helps seal the bead well.

A floor pump works fine in most cases.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Picard said:
Just my experiences:
I usually use mildly (dish)soapy water because I have found it helps ease the tire on, but for all I know this is all in my head. I forget where I heard to use dishsoap, but I do it everytime now. I also confess that I have often used plastic tire levers as well, with no adverse affects thus far. I have never had the need to use compressed air or anything other than a normal floor pump. With practice, I think mounting tubeless tires + sealant can be just as quick and easy as mounting tubed.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
put in stan sealant ?

Is it necessary to put stan sealant into the tube before inflating it? My tires are already inflated, can I deflate it and put in stan sealant then pump it up again. Will the tire inflate if I use floor pump ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Picard said:
Is it necessary to put stan sealant into the tube before inflating it? My tires are already inflated, can I deflate it and put in stan sealant then pump it up again. Will the tire inflate if I use floor pump ?
I happen to have only put in Stan's when changing tires, but I see no reason you couldn't deflate, add, and reinflate. I have only ever used a floor pump, personally, in four years of riding UST. I think I may have even used a hand pump a few times, but I don't remember.

This all might seem different at first and more difficult than what you're used to with tubes, but with practice I really think it's not any more difficult.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.