Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new set of mary bars and a brand new set of oury grips, and I am having trouble getting the grips to stay fastened to the bars. Growing up we always used aqua net to mount grips to our dirtbikes, and never had any problems. However, since the eighties that stuff has gotten harder to find aroudn the house

I have tried two methods of mounting the grips:

1. soak the outside in HOT water; slide on, and wait for it to cool/dry out
This has worked on my geared bike (with a textured handlebar), but the mary is super smooth, and on my first test ride, the grip broke away.

2. use a little alcohol to slip the grips on.
This was much worse than the hot water method.

I have searched and read several threads about what to use and came up with two options:

3M Super77.

Aquanet.

Clear spray paint.

I am leaning towards the 3M Super 77. For those of you who have used it, what is it like when you take the grips off? Does it destroy the grips? Is the residue easy to remove from the bars?

I have some clear spray paint in the garage, but I hesitate putting htat on the bars, because of the mess it might cause when I remove the grips. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know.

Cheers,

GF

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
ANY hairspray ought to work, not just the Aquanet stuff. As wasteful as it is, I use this seriously expensive hairspray my wife doesn't use anymore. She was getting ready to throw it out and I rescued it from the trash for the bikes. Even the squirty stuff instead of the aerosol stuff will work.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SpinWheelz said:
ANY hairspray ought to work, not just the Aquanet stuff. As wasteful as it is, I use this seriously expensive hairspray my wife doesn't use anymore. She was getting ready to throw it out and I rescued it from the trash for the bikes. Even the squirty stuff instead of the aerosol stuff will work.
That doesn't sound wasteful, sounds like you saved some waste.

Unfortunately, we do not have any hairspray around the house, and if I am going to run out and buy something I thought I might get some adhesive I could use for other jobs.

GF

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Oury's sometimes don't fit as tight on bars as other grips.

Nothing that can't be overcome though. I've had Oury's on MANY bikes and a lot of them spun until I did something (Wire/Zip Ties/Aquarium Glue). It's an easy fix though, grab some picture wire and wrap them up. :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xrmattaz said:
Works first time, every time!
I have read your (or someones) posts about this before. How does it get the grips to stick? I have no problem getting them on, its keeping them still thats the problem. When I yanked them off, they were completely dry underneath. Do you use this on your XRs too (I used to ride the same bikes Xr50, 70, 100, 200, 600, 400. they were all great). Thanks for the response.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
I don't know how or why it works, but does for me. I've been using WD-40 on grips for perhaps twenty years.

Some say it kinda/sorta "melts" the rubber just a bit....I dunno. Grips are STUCK ON within the hour. The nice thing about WD-40 is that the grips can be used over and over again, just a little shot under the grip and it slides right off!

ONE CAVEAT though.....Oury's certainly are just a bit oversized, and those are the only grips I've ever had that wouldn't "stay stuck" on some handlebars. It's worth a try though! If they don't stick, just rinse 'em out with soap and water and then try some 3M adhesive or somethin'......

Greenfix said:
I have read your (or someones) posts about this before. How does it get the grips to stick? I have no problem getting them on, its keeping them still thats the problem. When I yanked them off, they were completely dry underneath. Do you use this on your XRs too (I used to ride the same bikes Xr50, 70, 100, 200, 600, 400. they were all great). Thanks for the response.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Greenfix said:
I am leaning towards the 3M Super 77. For those of you who have used it, what is it like when you take the grips off? Does it destroy the grips? Is the residue easy to remove from the bars?
Just roll the grips off towards the ends of the bars. Residue cleans up with WD-40

Super 77 is the $hit. Watcht the overspray though, it's sticky stuff.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
riderx said:
Just roll the grips off towards the ends of the bars. Residue cleans up with WD-40

Super 77 is the $hit. Watcht the overspray though, it's sticky stuff.
Good info. Thanks. I downloaded the info sheet from the 3M site. Do you spray the grips, the bar or both?

Edit: smr5 answered my question as I was positng it. Cheers.

GF

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Greenfix said:
Good info. Thanks. I downloaded the info sheet from the 3M site. Do you spray the grips, the bar or both?

Edit: smr5 answered my question as I was positng it. Cheers.

GF
The stuff sets up fast, so I spray inside the grip. Also punch a small hole in the end of the grip to let the air exit as you shove it on. Watch for the spooge shooting out though!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've gone to the lizard skin lock-ons so I don't have to destroy the grips when I work on my need to change components.

Before that, I used the same rim glue that I use on my road bike. Goes on like you blew snot on the inside of your grips, and dries semi tacky overnight. The grips have always stayed super tight until I needed to cut them off.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RiderX,
Thanks for the instructions.

JamR,
The lock ons look good, but I want to use what I have on hand. I hope to not have to change too much too soon. I think the majority of adjustments will be at the stem to get the angle of the bars dialed in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EvelMtber said:
a strip of the 2 sided tape golfers use to install the grips on their clubs? If your grips are just a bit oversized, this seems like a good solution.
That sounded pretty good to me too when someone on the other thread described it. I am going to give the 3M spray a go this time around, and see what happens.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Roger that...

xrmattaz said:
I don't know how or why it works, but does for me. I've been using WD-40 on grips for perhaps twenty years.

Some say it kinda/sorta "melts" the rubber just a bit....I dunno. Grips are STUCK ON within the hour. The nice thing about WD-40 is that the grips can be used over and over again, just a little shot under the grip and it slides right off!

ONE CAVEAT though.....Oury's certainly are just a bit oversized, and those are the only grips I've ever had that wouldn't "stay stuck" on some handlebars. It's worth a try though! If they don't stick, just rinse 'em out with soap and water and then try some 3M adhesive or somethin'......
The carrier melts the rubber a bit, causing it to stick better.
I've had good luck with the Ourys and WD-40, but I'm sure the 3M 77 will work for sure.

the los

1,420 Posts
Greenfix said:
That sounded pretty good to me too when someone on the other thread described it. I am going to give the 3M spray a go this time around, and see what happens.
I have been following this thread and I as well have been looking for something better than hairspray. I went and got some 3M 77 at lunch and there is now way in hell those grips are going to slip. 2 minutes after I sprayed the grips and slid them onto the bar and they would not budge for anything.

Case closed........Now getting them off might be another story.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1strongone1 said:
I have been following this thread and I as well have been looking for something better than hairspray. I went and got some 3M 77 at lunch and there is now way in hell those grips are going to slip. 2 minutes after I sprayed the grips and slid them onto the bar and they would not budge for anything.

Case closed........Now getting them off might be another story.
Nice,

I got the results of this experiment faster than the experiments I am running in the lab right now. Maybe I should start posting my hypotheses on-line to get faster answers rather than running the experiments on the bench.

Thanks for the info strong.

GF

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.