Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if this has been done by anyone (if so, links to vids?). I'm picturing a boom mounted off the back of the bike, kind up high, aimed down on the rider at such an angle that the boom isn't really in the shot.

I'm thinking it would kinda give the effect that you see on the cable cam shots.

Just thinking out loud, hell, I don't even have a camera, just thinking it would be a neat idea for someone else to do that was into this sorta thing.

Been done?

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it. The first video (guy on motorcycle) is what I'm picturing, only the boom would extend in an upward angle, so it's aiming down on the rider from behind. Again, kinda like a camera on a cable was following the rider, but from only a couple/few feet above and back (like a 45 degree angle).

I'm thinking lightweight aluminum tubing. Two tubes coming from the rear axle area (like the little cargo racks mount on a bikes axle), and maybe another tube coming from the seat post, so it's like a 3 legged boom, all meeting at the end where the camera mounts to.

Again, I don't even have a camera yet, but I'm just sorta thinking out loud and throwing ideas out there.

Any links to more videos with "booms" are appreciated.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nebraska said:
or this one is not MTB, but could work for what you are thinking...
http://vholdr.com/video/granthony-cam
Oh man, that snowboarder's cam made me dizzy! I like the idea that it can rotate and get him from different angles, very cool, but it spun too much, and literally made me woozy.
His would be better if he had fixed positions, and moved it from time to time as he's going. Then edit it together after.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've been thinking of trying out the boom mount ever since you mentioned it. I tried two different mounts. One was about 2 feet behind my head (if I was sitting up straight) and maybe either even with my head or a little bit higher. The other was two feet in front of the handlebars facing the rider. Here it is:

Snowy Mountain Ride (Camera mounted on boom) from Bri on Vimeo.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude! That's freakin' awesome! I loved it. That's very much what I had in mind. Now we need a couple photos of the boom set up.
Thanks for doing that, that was great! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
427 Posts
fightnut said:
Dude! That's freakin' awesome! I loved it. That's very much what I had in mind. Now we need a couple photos of the boom set up.
Thanks for doing that, that was great! :thumbsup:
Thanks. I'm glad you like it. I actually used an old ski pole as a boom. For the front, I wedged the tip into the water bottle cage and used a long velcro lashing strap near the headtube. For the back, I tightened a lashing strap just above the seatclamp and then used a plumbers' clamp to hold it to the seat rails. The camera was a GoPro which I then mounted on the pole. Here's the pictures:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.