Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Always Learning
9,593 Posts
Brodiebikelover said:
All we need is the Fisher mechanic to share his secret of mounting up the XR 1.8's tubeless for the racers this past summer....:thumbsup:

I would think that it shouldn't be a problem on the Stan's rims with the tape/rim strip and sealant. I've got a pair of the tires, but not the Stan's rims.

BB

· C-Hog
458 Posts
I've seen it done...

I haven't done it myself... but I have riden with Cameron Chambers when he was riding this setup. The weekend before Thanksgiving, a small group of us took two days to pre-ride next year's Dirty Kanza 200 route. Cameron rode his Fisher single-speed, with 1.8 XR's mounted tubeless on ZTR rims. Seemed to work quite well. Hope this helps you.

· wrench
443 Posts
First off, welcome Brodiebikelover- Yes, BruceBrown- I saw the "Fisher searchlight" (think Batman) go off.
I can't speak of experiance mounting the bonty 1.8's to Stan's, but I have mounted many to Bonty Race Lite rims. I found the best and safest way was using using strapping tape as a rim strip then covering it with a 24x1" presta tube cut down the middle and laid over the rim. You can then mount the tire and add Stans sealant then pop the rest of the tire bead on the wheel. It will look funny with the 24" tube sticking out of the sides, but this is what helps seal it. Now inflate the tire with a compressor or floor pump spinning the wheel to get the stans to seal any voids. Now trim the excess tube sticking out with a razor. You can also just trim the tube before you install- just make sure it is wide enough to cover the wall of the rim.
We had no problems with this method- no leaks, flats or blow-offs. However, I will not need to do this as Bontrager has the new RXL tubeless wheels and tires! Will make my job easier and the riders more options for tires.

Matto

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2hrs later...

Hey Guys,

Just put the 1.8's on and they feel fast. I used a combination of Tufo sealant and Stan's. I have used Tufo before; I really like it because it sets quickly. I think this allowed me to get the tires on fast. I kept the tube that Tufo comes in and injected the solution into the tube then proceeded the tube to the valve. It screws right on, then just pump the liquid into the tire, and rotate. Finally,I pumped them up to 60psi, will let you know how the pressure is tomorrow.

Cheers!:thumbsup:

· Always Learning
9,593 Posts
mattomoto said:
First off, welcome Brodiebikelover- Yes, BruceBrown- I saw the "Fisher searchlight" (think Batman) go off.
I can't speak of experiance mounting the bonty 1.8's to Stan's, but I have mounted many to Bonty Race Lite rims. I found the best and safest way was using using strapping tape as a rim strip then covering it with a 24x1" presta tube cut down the middle and laid over the rim. You can then mount the tire and add Stans sealant then pop the rest of the tire bead on the wheel. It will look funny with the 24" tube sticking out of the sides, but this is what helps seal it. Now inflate the tire with a compressor or floor pump spinning the wheel to get the stans to seal any voids. Now trim the excess tube sticking out with a razor. You can also just trim the tube before you install- just make sure it is wide enough to cover the wall of the rim.
We had no problems with this method- no leaks, flats or blow-offs. However, I will not need to do this as Bontrager has the new RXL tubeless wheels and tires! Will make my job easier and the riders more options for tires.

Matto
Thanks, Matto. I knew you'd come through with the details if you saw the post.

BB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.