Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an inexpensive MC-E torch from DX to try out, which was inevitable considering the price. It was mounted with a Two-Fish block & velco (like most), which worked OK, but I found that it did not hold well when it got cold (<0C) and especially when it got wet, and worse on a rigid bike in a downhill rock garden. So I tried something else.

Mounted on the bars.

The top is from a flashlight/laser universal gun mount from DX, something like this one (https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5819) but with a 25mm opening. The bottom is a spare L&M bar mount I had, but you just need a plate with the right width for the mount to clamp to - you could probably fashion something from the bottom part of the universal mount. Note: I had to modify the L&M bar mount a bit. A Cateye bar mount was close, but a bit too narrow, but the gun mount's clamp could be modified to fit.

Considerably more stable than the rubber block & velcro straps.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick Update

I managed to get the gun rail clamp to attach firmly on a Cateye mount.

Ultrafire MCE torch in gun rail clamp, on an old Cateye mount.

The key is not to file the groove too deep. If you go to far, the rail clamp rattles on the Cateye mount.

The rail clamp closes just enough over the Cateye mounting platform. The cross pin sits in the groove, and if the groove is too deep, the rail clamp sits too far down, and is loose on the Cateye mount (because the rails cannot close any more). The right side groove was files slightly deeper than the left, as the cross pin is slightly canted on the rail clamp.

Why? Because the Cateye mounts are cheap and sturdy, and easy to get. And it's steadier than the twofish rubber/velcro mounts.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ral83178 said:
where do you buy these mounts (cat eye) and for how much?

tom
Any bike store that carries Cateye can get them. In Canada, I bought them from MEC (~$5), but they don't carry Cateye products now. REI carries Cateye, they probably have them.

Found them here on the web: http://www.bikepartsplace.com/products/light-mounting-clamp-h-24/ (I've never bought from them, just a google search).
It's a H-24 clamp, similar mounts are H-27, H-32, & H-34. I like the bolt-on or thumb screw versions best, you can tighten them firmly for heavier lights. I find the quick-cam versions can't be really tighten down on the narrow parts of the 25.4 bars.

·
Spanish biker
732 Posts
SkUG said:
Where can i get those in the UK? (preferably at a cheap price + free postage :D)
Hi, I don't know...to Spain the shipping cost was about 14 € in this shop....in this other shop sell separately both pieces to 2,50+4.50 shipping cost to UK 9,95€ or you can try to get in a local store.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
addendum

Finally got around to measuring the output of the MC-E torch from DX (Ultrafire 3-mode MC-E torch). The beam has a very bright spot, with a decent wide spill, typical of reflector type optics. However, due to the bright hot spot, you get an apparent darkish ring that is annoying.

The beam profile has been plotted with a NiteRider 10W HID, which has been my reference for the last few years. The DX torch's hot spot is brighter than the NR, but it is much narrower.

The beam shot (using mtbr's settings) clearly shows the hot spot, but the ample spill makes the beam very usable on the bike. I've been running it bar mounted, and on high, it puts out plenty of light. On medium, the dark ring (spill outside the hot spot, at a medium distance) tends to create a blind spot.

The torch specs a parallel wired MC-E (4 dies) running at 2800mA, but I only measure 1800mA (~6W) - which gives me about 1:20 run time. I can get over 2.5hrs run time on medium power. Thats not bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, that's a great idea itsdoable! I have several of the Twofish blocks but I also find them a bit loose especially on handlebars that change in diameter from stem outwards. No doubt the velcro will eventually wear away as well. Do you know how much they weight? I'm sure that the torch itself would weigh more but just curious to hear your thoughts on that.

Another question: did you put any rubber or other padding between the light and the clamp? Or did it fit perfectly out of sheer luck?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LTrane said:
...Another question: did you put any rubber or other padding between the light and the clamp? Or did it fit perfectly out of sheer luck?
No luck involved, one of the uses of these torches is to be mounted to a gun rail. I believe they are all designed for a 25mm mount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.