Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local trails today (Annadel in norcal) and asked the ranger when the next volunteer trail maintainance day is. He said a better way for volunteers to help is to be part of a Mounted Assistance Unit. You become sort of a park helper---ride around on the trails you normally ride on and pass out maps, educate people on why they should stay on legal trails, etc. You get a nifty patch to wear too.

I'm not really interested in being a junior cop--I just wanted to help the park that I ride in all the time. Have any of you ever been part of something like that?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Curious: Any cost$ to you involved?

GuruAtma said:
I went to my local trails today (Annadel in norcal) and asked the ranger when the next volunteer trail maintainance day is. He said a better way for volunteers to help is to be part of a Mounted Assistance Unit. You become sort of a park helper---ride around on the trails you normally ride on and pass out maps, educate people on why they should stay on legal trails, etc. You get a nifty patch to wear too.

I'm not really interested in being a junior cop--I just wanted to help the park that I ride in all the time. Have any of you ever been part of something like that?
I signed up to join the local Mt. Bike patrol and was willing to patrol daily for them, but wasn't willing to pay the fees$ they required for the privilege of donating my time for them.
Funny though, it's going on a year and a half since the patrol allegedly got started, and though I ride local singletrack pretty much daily, I have yet to see a single patroller. They get to wear flashy jerseys and carry radios and offer unsolicited advice, so I think I'd spot them if they were out there. Did see one drinking beer wearing a patroller t-shirt once, though.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bulC said:
I signed up to join the local Mt. Bike patrol and was willing to patrol daily for them, but wasn't willing to pay the fees$ they required for the privilege of donating my time for them.
Funny though, it's going on a year and a half since the patrol allegedly got started, and though I ride local singletrack pretty much daily, I have yet to see a single patroller. They get to wear flashy jerseys and carry radios and offer unsolicited advice, so I think I'd spot them if they were out there. Did see one drinking beer wearing a patroller t-shirt once, though.
Well this is offered through the California State Parks, and there's no cost, and you get a patch that you can sew on to your own jersey/vest/whatever. I've seen people on horseback doing this job, mostly handing out maps and giving directions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts