Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Hey Matt, good job. I did not know you posted here.

Pretty good write up. You summed the course up very well. Saves me having to tell everyone about it :p

For those of you who chose not to follow the link to Matt's blog, here is part two of his report - Part one is his more personal story.

Matt 24 solo said:
So as I mentioned earlier that this was a great race. This was the best course I've ridden. The flow was awesome!!!! Mountainview is a small ski hill in Midland Ontario and the guy responsible for all of this is Thomas Wood. He started a weekly race series 5 years ago and its continued to grow every year along with his trail system.

Its been a whille since I've really ridden up there but man was I ever surprised at the course. The first km is through the ski hill face with a couple short single track sections before head in the bush. This is where the fun begins. tons of switchback single track slowly weaving its way up the hill. Even the grindy uphills of the riverbed had a rythem to it. Thomas has also mixed in a couple stepup rocks into his course just to keep you on your toes. Once on top of the hill the awesome flow continues.

From there was a nice double track section across the farm field. Great area for a stretch or to lay the hammer down. Now with all the climbing in the beginning of the course comes the major treats. Going back down. The trail is awesome with quick hard turns and berms. Feels like a downhill course and puts this big smile on your face. From there its into a fast double track section followed by more single track. This course is about 85 percent single track. Most solo events that I've ridden have been 65-75 percent single track.

This is the third year for this event and I can see it growing in numbers. Every lap has 300 meters of climbing which is all single track. For solo racers there are a few sections to recover on and get in a stretch or two with out lossing moumentum. The techincal level will challenge the top riders without making it to hard for newer racers.

The other trail systems are awesome and will only continue to grow. This is definatly an event to keep on your calander for next year. This is not a easy road ride course. You have to work hard here but the pay offs are worth it.

This fall Thomas will be running a night race which should be awesome. I have a link to the right to his website. Come out and play when it gets dark.
Personally, i had an awesome time too. It was my first tag team event. I have always raced the endurance races on teams of 4 men or more. At first i though it would be a sufferfest, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. I really liked the technical nature of the course. Yes, smooth, twisty singletrack is nice for racing, but i also appreciate a challenge. The entire course was fully rideable, but there were enough tricky spots to make me screw up every now and then. I had one nice crash, along with a handful of minor mishaps. I knew i had to conserve my energy. If i raced this event like i raced the 8 hour at hardwood last weekend - 4 man team - i would burn out after about four or five laps. I could not let that happen. So i "raced" slower than i have ever raced before. I settled for a pace that i knew i could maintain. take advantage of all the downhill sections, and not kill myself on the climbs. It worked well for me. So the racing part went pretty smooth. Me and my partner - ddakin - both were evenly matched. Bikes performed flawlessly.

You can't talk about this event though, without mentioning the bonus events. There were four of them, one held every 2 hours. Event one. Ghost ride. Push an old rusty road bike as far as you can through a grassy field. I did this event, and managed over 70 feet. Good enough for second place among tag teams. Second event, rim toss. Toss a rim onto a stake from as far back as possible. ddakin won this event for us. Two events in, and we had already saved 15 minutes in bonus time! Third event, trike races. Planning these events was tricky on a two man team. This was supposed to be ddakin's event, but he did not make it back in time, so i had to give it a shot. first heat, i could not figure out how to move the thing. it had blocks on the pedals, and i could not get it going. i took the dnf. second heat i had a different trike, and managed to win the heat. that somehow got us 3rd in that event. more bonus. last event, trashy cherry pie eating contest. this was supposed to be my event, but since the events needed to be evenly shared, it was ddakin's turn. Apparently the pie was not very good, so he took the dnf in that one. No biggie. We had a good day at the bonuses.

When all was said and done, we came in second out of 5 tag teams. It was an awesome experience. Great event - well run.

PICTURES WILL BE POSTED LATER.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I promised pictures

from the top

best section of trail

how does that pie taste?

a few hours worth of dirt

after the last lap of the day

sweet bikes

"podium" shot

·
Singlespeed Mysty
646 Posts
Matt 24 solo said:
This is an awesome event. Just raced it yesterday and keeping it on my race calander for next year.

http://matthewspak.blogspot.com/
Hey Matt! I didn't know you posted here! Guess who? :D ... Haha...

Congrats again! Did you check out the thread for the Fly Gurlz 10 hour Relay... I posted some pics of me racing the Misfit Singlespeed!

You could have at least posted the podium pic on here Matt!! Great Blog... I follow it when I can...

Solo... you are a nutbar... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey, I was part of that *ahem* 4th place tag team. That's my partner eating the pie. I was supposed to do it, but she came back late for the tricycle race, and ended up having to do the pie!

·
Singlespeed Mysty
646 Posts
I'd be interested to see more pics of this event... more so of the actual track... I see comments about the track being technical...I don't know any of the trails up there... would it be good for a beginner to ride there? or is this only open to events?

too funny... are those medals made of PEZ??:p dispensers? lol...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I started mountain biking last year for the exercise. This years course was harder than last. My partner did 1 race last year, and this is her 3rd, she's new to mtb as well, rides a full rigid front/back. So it's suitable. check out their website for more information about biking up there.

·
Singlespeed Mysty
646 Posts
bbgobie said:
I started mountain biking last year for the exercise. This years course was harder than last. My partner did 1 race last year, and this is her 3rd, she's new to mtb as well, rides a full rigid front/back. So it's suitable. check out their website for more information about biking up there.
hey bbgobie... I started riding last year in October... I ride a fully rigid 29er...mostly singlespeed... but I do have a geary thingy as well... is this trail rideable on singlespeed?

thanks, will check out the website:thumbsup:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
1mystk said:
is this trail rideable on singlespeed?
yes. one of the fine racers who podiumed in the solo category rode the course ss. first lap he was grunting a little, but once he found his rhythem, i think he was ok.

1mystk said:
I'd be interested to see more pics of this event... more so of the actual track... I see comments about the track being technical...I don't know any of the trails up there... would it be good for a beginner to ride there?
you could do it.

1mystk said:
yes. pez was a great idea. a sweet snack to enjoy while watching the cerimonial stuff and draw prizes.

bbgobie said:
Hey, I was part of that *ahem* 4th place tag team. That's my partner eating the pie. I was supposed to do it, but she came back late for the tricycle race, and ended up having to do the pie!
i knew you might like that picture. that is kina how things worked out for our team too, as i mentioned. pie eating was supposed to be mine, but that is not how it worked out.

·
Singlespeed Mysty
646 Posts
rkj__ said:
yes. one of the fine racers who podiumed in the solo category rode the course ss. first lap he was grunting a little, but once he found his rhythem, i think he was ok.

you could do it.

yes. pez was a great idea. a sweet snack to enjoy while watching the cerimonial stuff and draw prizes.

i knew you might like that picture. that is kina how things worked out for our team too, as i mentioned. pie eating was supposed to be mine, but that is not how it worked out.
hmm... that doesn't look too bad... grunting...I know what that is all about... did some grunting at the Fly Gurlz Women's 10 hour Relay that same day!:D ... walked a few...but what the hey... I was out to have fun...

hah, I haven't had PEZ since I was a kid!

hey Matt, what was the ornaments hanging off your medals?

pie?... what kinda pie? ...mmmm pie...what was this pie talk about anyways?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
1mystk said:
pie?... what kinda pie? ...mmmm pie...what was this pie talk about anyways?
it was trashy cherry pie. it was one of the bonus events. eat half of a pie as fast as possible. if you win, you get a time bonus. this time is subtracted from the overall time it takes you to finish the race. the magnitude of the bonus depends on how well you do. if you do not participate, there was a time penalty. there was no penalty for solos though.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
nspace said:
I would have liked to have gone but had another commitment that day. From the photosI have seen it looks like a really small turn out?
yup, not a huge event. it had that nice intimate grass roots feeling to it. it has room to grow. the facility can definitely support a few more riders.

·
Singlespeed Mysty
646 Posts
rkj__ said:
it was trashy cherry pie. it was one of the bonus events. eat half of a pie as fast as possible. if you win, you get a time bonus. this time is subtracted from the overall time it takes you to finish the race. the magnitude of the bonus depends on how well you do. if you do not participate, there was a time penalty. there was no penalty for solos though.
cherry...cherries do bad things:D ... if it was strawberry rhubarb then I'm in :p

·
Registered
520 Posts
rkj__ said:

you could do it.
Anyone find a handle bar end-cap for an ergon grip here? I think that's where my right side handlebar smacked a tree. There was a huge mark, so I wasnt the only one. :madman:

·
Singlespeed Mysty
646 Posts
Matt 24 solo said:
The event was a bit smaller this season because of the Hardwood 8 hour the week before. It will grow with great response from all the riders. Matt Weynen from Cambridge Cycle did race the event on a single speed. The course is ridable on a single speed once you figure out the lines.

http://matthewspak.blogspot.com/
hey matt ...if it is not the same weekend as the next 10 hour Fly Gurlz relay next year, then I will definately have to come out!!! Who knows... by then, I may be a better rider :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
1mystk said:
I'd be interested to see more pics of this event... more so of the actual track... I see comments about the track being technical...I don't know any of the trails up there... would it be good for a beginner to ride there? or is this only open to events?

Glad you guys (girls were there too, just not posting) enjoyed the event!
Solo winners had furry dog PEZ medals, Tag teams had sponge bob and birds, 3-4 had garfield, Christmas, and...? I just order a lot of them from Ebay, it makes things interesting.

I didn't hear of the women's 10 until about 2 weeks before the 9, I wouldn't have set that conflict up...Also with the 8 hour, basically it comes to there are about 12 good weekends in the summer, chico/hardwood takes up 14 of them, and we are left to scrap it out for the rest.

We had 48 this year compared to 74 last year, i'd still like to get triple digits but we'll see.

Definetely do-able on singlespeed, i try to make the course like a roller-coaster...more tough than other 8 hours i've done, but i save the toughest bits for other races.

speaking of other races, i'm holding a night race oct 5th it will sample some more tech trails, and be in the dark, and i've got other nifty medals planned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.