Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Suffering Mightily
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jonesin' to ride yesterday in spite of the wind and the cold. Rode Mountaintown in Ellijay. Creek crossings were brutal. I figured the water volume would be up from the rain, but in some places it was white water. Managed to stay dry for about the first 6 or 7 crossings, but had to wade across a particularly swift crossing. It was getting dark and very cold by the time we emerged from the woods. A good samaritan gave us a ride from the campground back up to the overlook. Good times, good times.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You're a brave sole. I am not a huge fan of MountainTown, though. I know SORBA has done a bunch of work to keep it open to mountain bikes, but there has always been access issues returning to Gates Chapel RD. Even getting to the trailhead takes alot of work on 68 from Bear Creek. That would definitely be a trail I would stay away from in the wet. I'm not a fan of temps below 20 with wet shoes. Enjoy the solitude... you definitely won't see me out there in the winter. Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
659 Posts
i love that trail for several reasons. one great thing about it is that by parking at gates chapel rd it's essentially a dh to the car (with a few hundred yards of flat pavement at the very end). parking at the overlook and having to climb after that dh would not be my choice in how to ride it. and i bet those creeks were freakin coooolllldddd.....

·
Suffering Mightily
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's funny, b/c my feet would actually seem to warm up for a few minutes after crossing the creeks. But after a few minutes, it was agony. Everything was very slippery. I had not ridden this trail in almost 10 years and then on a full suspension bike. The other day I was on a 29er with a rigid fork. The rocky downhills were a bit scary. My brakes and pedals would freeze over at every water crossing! It was an adventure though. I love living in Georgia with all of our great trails!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.