Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a bag for traveling my Giant Glory bike on the plane. Has anyone used an Evoc BMX bag plus separate wheel bag to transport an MTB? With the fork removed from the frame I think it might fit. Possible advantages that I can think of:

- easier to transport into rental car/taxi
- possibly being able to check it in as regular luggage and not paying a fee for bike-luggage

Disadvantages:
- requires removing and attaching fork.
- two instead of one bag
- smaller so less room to stuff other luggage in it

Has anyone done this and what is your experience compared to a regular bike bag.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am looking for a bag for traveling my Giant Glory bike on the plane. Has anyone used an Evoc BMX bag plus separate wheel bag to transport an MTB? With the fork removed from the frame I think it might fit. Possible advantages that I can think of:

- easier to transport into rental car/taxi only an issue if there are more than 2 of you travelling in the car/you order the wrong shape car
- possibly being able to check it in as regular luggage and not paying a fee for bike-luggage a LOT of airlines have stopped charging, or its a minimal amount. how often are you flying?

Disadvantages:
- requires removing and attaching fork.
- two instead of one bag (wouldn't it be 3? two wheels and a frame?)
- smaller so less room to stuff other luggage in it

Has anyone done this and what is your experience compared to a regular bike bag.
Just get the MTB bag, it's brilliant. Plus, a Glory (or any DH bike) is a big bike, you sure you'll get the frame in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I went to some airline websites and the fees have indeed gone down since the the last time I checked (years ago). If what you're saying is true then there isn't much advantage in using a bmx bag.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
We use a Pika Packworks road bike cases which we had for our road bikes. Gotta take the fork off the mtb to fit, but the overall size, weight, and malleability makes it pretty manageable getting on/off airport shuttles, taxis, rental cars, etc.. More than half the time it comes out on the regular luggage conveyor rather than having to wait for oversize items.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.