Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Mmmmmm Beer!
617 Posts
And don't ride with Chopper if he has his shirt off. The Cat might think it's a ape or something......

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More like I'm trying to educate my self so I know what to do to prevent it/know what to do if it happens.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Tamim said:
More like I'm trying to educate my self so I know what to do to prevent it/know what to do if it happens.
Are you a troll? Do you know what a small chance you have of being eaten by a mountain lion? I've come across a couple of them on the trails, and if they had any desire to kill me, they could have. They are awesome creatures. I probably wouldn't even have known what was ripping my intestines out.

But they didn't.

Anyway, chances are that even if one did kill you, they wouldn't actually EAT you afterward. So don't worry about it.

·
I dig trails!
5,602 Posts
Tamim said:
Joking aside, like others said an attack is highly unlikely as the cats really want to avoid us.

But if you are concerned, I'll bet something like a bear bell would work. Or ride in a group.

You can search the NorCal forum for "mountain lion", there is a good thread or two describing encounters. Encounters are mostly described as awe, a look at each other, then a slinking off.

P

·
Registered
143 Posts
these are some of the funniest post i have ever seen. But for real, MtLions will not attack something that is bigger or scarrier then them. Some one on a bike is much bigger and makes so much noise it scares them. Most of the attacks happen to solo joggers, and even then it only happens once ever 5 years or so. So don't worry.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Crusty Oldman said:
Anyway, chances are that even if one did kill you, they wouldn't actually EAT you afterward. So don't worry about it.
Not true, a mountain lion would absolutely eat a human if the lion were to kill one (see Mark Reynolds) however, worrying about mountain lion attacks is a huge waste of time...period.

Since 1991 mountain lion deaths thruoghout the U.S. AND Canada have averaged...are you ready for this...one per year. That's right, over 330 million people and, of those 330 million, exactly one, on average, is killed per year by any form of mountain lion (this includes, pumas, panthers, cougars, etc...pretty much every indiginous big cat in North America). In other words, you have a 0.00000030303030303030300% chance of actually being killed by a mountain lion.

If you're worried about simply being attacked the the odds increase to a whopping 5.6 attacks per year in the U.S. and Canada for a 0.000001696969696969700% chance of attack.

Be cautious, respect and admire the animal if you ever do encounter one (also highly unlikely) and don't worry about something that has worse odds of happening than winning the lottery!

:cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts