Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
The MTB Lab
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my blog:

I was up on one of my local trails yesterday, and they were covered with Slurpee snow. You really had to watch when you applied power to the rear wheel, else you would start to spin out. It was still easier then wind or hard pack snow so at least I was able to pedal through the snow. It was also pretty sloppy so I rode at a pretty slow speed, else you were going to get covered with crud.

Part way up on the Black Pearl trail, after I left some hikers tracks I came upon some unfamiliar tracks. They were walking up the singletrack and by the stride length they were obviously a large animal. When I got a chance to stop and look closer at the tracks, they seemed to me to be a Mountain Lions. When I got back home I was able to cross check the pictures I took, and they were a Mountain Lion's.

The Mountain Lion had walked up most of the Black Pearl trail, and I was glad it wasn't when I was on the trail! Bears and Foxes I can deal with, but Lions are another matter.

Mountain Lion attacks on humans are very rare, but they do happen. A single Mom in the LA area was killed by a Mountain Lion while out jogging in the foothills a number of years ago. The Wildlife department came out and killed the cat, and they then found out she has cub's. In typical California fashion a huge amount of money was raised for the orphaned cubs, but the children got a pittance.

Peace.

Attachments

·
The MTB Lab
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
andrewnielson said:
wow...thats why I carry my Kimber 45!:)
My brakes got some snow up in them so they howled like a banshee, they would have scared anything away. I used to carry a 357 Magnum and used 38 special load when I rock climbed in Lion country by myself. Only have seen the tracks, scat and kill of the Lions, and I am sure they have watched me with interest without my knowledge, but no actual encounters as yet, and no plans for any!

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
pastajet said:
A single Mom in the LA area was killed by a Mountain Lion while out jogging in the foothills a number of years ago.
Good thing you aren't a single mom then, right. :p

I'm I the only one who has lived on the front range of Colorado for 22 years and never had a real mountain lion encounter? Two glimpses and that's it. I really hope I have a real encounter one day. :(

·
The MTB Lab
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nickle said:
Good thing you aren't a single mom then, right. :p

I'm I the only one who has lived on the front range of Colorado for 22 years and never had a real mountain lion encounter? Two glimpses and that's it. I really hope I have a real encounter one day. :(
Lived in Colorado for 32 years, spent most of those years hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, etc in the back country. I have seen a couple of rattlesnakes, lots of foxes, some coyotes and a rare couple of bears (lots of their scat). Took me a couple of decades to see a rattlesnake and that was after probably at least 500 days in the backwoods. Had a friend go rock climbing at a place that I had been 50-100 times and he bumps into a rattler the first time out.

I am sure my mighty size, manly attitude and mini bear bell scare the animals away!

·
I heart the drops
1,105 Posts
pastajet said:
The Mountain Lion had walked up most of the Black Pearl trail, and I was glad it wasn't when I was on the trail! Bears and Foxes I can deal with, but Lions are another matter.
Peace.
If a mountain lion was walking up does it have the right of way and I have to yeild to him too?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I'd think that a big knife would be more useful than any gun when you're dealing with mountain lions. Unless it's standing still and not coming for you, in which case you shouldn't shoot at it. If it's after you, it's going to close the distance in a matter of seconds before you can even get a shot off, and it'll be hard to hit anyway. That's assuming you even see it coming. If they want you, usually they'll be on you before you even see it coming and will come at you from behind. It's going to go straight for your throat, and a gun is harder to operate effectively at close range. A knife is also a hell of a lot lighter to carry around with you, and less likely to get you into trouble with law enforcement. ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've heard one approach is to velcro a can of pepper spray to your bike, then its right there if something happens. Not like you're going to have time to rummage through your camelbak, that's for sure. I guess the same idea could apply to a knife, have it on your bar for quick access...

·
The MTB Lab
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I told my hunting friends that I was using a small pistol for protection they told me it would piss off the Lion, and then you would really be in trouble. Wounded animals are not happy. Best to slam dunk it with your bike and scare it off. Not like I have any training in this process. Maybe I can get the Inflexable gang in the Springs to go out testing! I will film from the distance!

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Is it already that time again for the annual mountain lion attacks and defense analysis thread? I swear we're six months early, but maybe it's becoming a biannual event.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Nickle said:
Is it already that time again for the annual mountain lion attacks and defense analysis thread? I swear we're six months early, but maybe it's becoming a biannual event.
It is amusing. Honestly the chances of being attacked by a mountain lion are really slim, yet everyone seems to worry about it.

But in any case they're usually looking for the quick kill, if you can put up a fight long enough, it'll most likely decide you're not worth the effort and run away. But I don't think it's the greatest idea carrying around a pistol while biking like someone said, unless you want to end up like Plexico Burress. You're more likely to shoot yourself carrying that thing around while riding. :D Let's not all start carrying small arms on the trails in case lions try to get us. ;)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Nickle said:
It's a slow day. It was either a mtn lion thread or do you carry while riding. Hopefully this one will combine both!

·
Registered
262 Posts
i don't see what all the fuss is aboot...

When I see a large furry cat with big teeth out on the trail, I just get off my bike, raise up my fists, and beckon for it to 'COME GET SOME'

works eeeeeevery time.

I either do that, or politely offer up whomever is riding with me...

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
dtmartin46 said:
i don't see what all the fuss is aboot...

When I see a large furry cat with big teeth out on the trail, I just get off my bike, raise up my fist, and beckon for it to 'COME GET SOME'

works eeeeeevery time.
Are you "The Rock" by any chance? Do you give it the eyebrow too? ;)

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
jugdish said:
It's a slow day. It was either a mtn lion thread or do you carry while riding. Hopefully this one will combine both!
I'm holding out for the thread that combines each of the CO - Front Range buzz topics that resurface from time to time. That would be the thread that trumps all threads. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.