Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mountain Lion Bait
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Around 5:30PM today, I ran across a mountain lion cub (looked about 40 or 50 pounds, so I'm guessing it was a cub) on the Western States Trail in the Confluence. I saw it about 100 yards down the trail from the Hawver mine shaft opening. It was walking on the trail as I was coming down the trail. Once it heard me, it kept walking at a leisurely pace for about 100 feet and then ran up a game trail on the side of the hill. Its the first time I've ever seen one outside of captivity, so I was kind of freaked by it. But, I said screw it and kept on with the ride.

So I rode out to the end of the trail, sucked up a gel, and began the return. About a mile into my return ride, I heard what I'd bet a month's salary on, was another cat up in the bushes crying/growling. The sighting I thought was pretty awesome, but that crying sound scared the shizz out of me. I would have put Lance to shame with my return speed.

So, my question. Did I encounter an anomoly? Two cats on the same trail within a couple of miles of each other? Especially one that was brazen enough to be cruising along a trail in an area frequented by humans, and at an odd hour for cats to be out. Also, should I report the sighting/hearing to the Rangers? Do they care? Wasn't sure. I've been riding in that area for 5+ years on a consistent basis, and have never even heard or seen a peep of a cat, and to come across two in such close proximity seems really... strange?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Unless things have changed....

if you report it, all they will tell you is thanks, but unless the animal is showing any out of the ordinary or agressive behaviour, there's nothing to do.

A couple years ago, we had two young mountain lions that were seen several times coming down my driveway and eating my cat's catfood on the back porch/deck. We called it in and that was the response. They receive numerous calls annually. And I'm not even close the ASRA!

·
Mountain Lion Bait
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger___ said:
if you report it, all they will tell you is thanks, but unless the animal is showing any out of the ordinary or agressive behaviour, there's nothing to do.

A couple years ago, we had two young mountain lions that were seen several times coming down my driveway and eating my cat's catfood on the back porch/deck. We called it in and that was the response. They receive numerous calls annually. And I'm not even close the ASRA!
Ok, cool. I won't bother them then. The controlled burn thing does make sense. It was going pretty good when I left last night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.