Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was up riding past sand point overlook on Tuesday 6/20 trying to make it to demo and about halfway to demo I stopped to eat a snack and I get that creepy feeling that you were being watched and sure enough I turned and looked up the hill and a mountain lion was slowely creeping towards me in the woods(20 yards away!):eekster:. So I threw all my gear in my back pack got on bike and didnt look back! Anybody else have similar experences?

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Did you report

petesc said:
I was up riding past sand point overlook on Tuesday 6/20 trying to make it to demo and about halfway to demo I stopped to eat a snack and I get that creepy feeling that you were being watched and sure enough I turned and looked up the hill and a mountain lion was slowely creeping towards me in the woods(20 yards away!):eekster:. So I threw all my gear in my back pack got on bike and didnt look back! Anybody else have similar experences?
the sighting to a ranger? That is scary if it was creeping up on you:eekster: That is not a good sign because mountain lions regularly avoid humans unless they have no food source, are extremely hungry or protecting their cubs.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
They are there especially with all the tasty Wild Pigs and Deer around. Seen plenty of Bob cats in Nicene but never a lion. Only time I saw a lion was in Henry Coe and it ran off in the opposite direction as soon as it saw me. Sounds like you know what you saw, but I've seen on many occasions were a Bobcat sighting has been miss reported as a Lion, you saw a long tail on it? If so as already mentioned you should report it to the Ranger.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm no expert but I'm not sure riding away is was the best plan....

petesc said:

Glad you're ok. From what I've read you're not supposed to run away from them because that may initiate THE HUNT.... it sees you as prey running away and then attacks..... I heard you're supposed to make yourself appear as big as possible... maybe hold your bike over your head and stand your ground.... maybe it was far enough away for you to make a get away... but if one is attacking you I've heard you stand your ground and appear strong... then if it gets you FIGHT... don't curl up and play dead or anything because then it will just eat your liver..... :eek:

http://users.frii.com/mytymyk/lions/onguard.htm

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
rensho said:
I heard that if you can safely ride away at 40-45+ mph, you'll be fine.
I used that excuse to get try and get out of a speeding ticket dropping down towards Lexington Reservoir at 47 miles an hour, didn't work :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mountain lion

No it was definatly a lion not a bobcat because I live in the woods and know what a bobcat looks like but it was creepy how it was sneaking up on me because from other accounts that I have heard they run. I didnt come across a ranger other wise I would have reported it. But I cant say the fast ride down the fire road wasnt fun though:thumbsup:

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Listen to me now and hear me later : One time, at band camp, I saw a mtn lion (with golden coat and longish tail) at Demo/Nisene. Wasn't this season. Too late to file my report. Another rider saw it first and was stopped in the trail, looking uphill.

I've seen bobcats 2x this season and they've seen me more than that.

I regularly see coyotes in the daytime at Coyote Peak and at Wilder. So much, that they're just like dogs to me now.

Not trying to be wiseguy, but what is the purpose of reporting a Mtn Lion?

·
Slowest Rider
5,235 Posts
Heard one

About a year ago, I was climbing solo up Buzzard Lagoon fire road around dusk. Nobody else in the lot that day. I was hoping for a quick ride down Braille before dark. About a mile before the Ridge trail on Sandy Point, on a steep section of the road, something made me stop and look back. I barely saw something big jump into the bush and make noise. I went back and saw big paw prints the size of my hands in the thick dusty road, going off into the same bushes. I got a LOT faster at that point, for whatever good it would do.

Climbing out up Hihn's Mill in the near dark, I was constantly looking up at the hills, with my hand on a knife.

·
Missing NorCal riding,,,
118 Posts
Rex_Skidmore said:
Not trying to be wiseguy, but what is the purpose of reporting a Mtn Lion?
About a month ago, I had seen big cat prints out at Ft. Ord twice in a week on different trails. I sent the BLM's Land Manager for Ft. Ord, Eric Morgan, an e-mail asking if there had been an increase in lion activity at Ord. I received this response:

Eric Morgan said:
Hi Greg:
Thanks for your questions. We have been getting more reports of mtn lion sightings this year than any other year, but I'm not sure if it is related to more mtn lions, or more people on the trails. For those lucky enough to see these cats, we try to interview them to determine whether the sighting is normal, or whether the animals are exhibiting strange behaviors. Some reports we receive are probably not mtn lions.

{snip about the sheep at Ord}

Happy trails. Eric Morgan
Granted, this is BLM, but I'd imagine the interest in sightings is similar between each land area.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
petesc said:
Why does this bother you? The lion was merely doing the same thing you were, stopping by the side of the trail for a snack. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts