Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
I hope I'm able to beat the snot out of mountain lions when I'm that woman's age. And her hubby must be in pretty good shape to walk himself out after that mauling. Some damn brave old folks there.

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
Lucky for the old guy, but I don't think its right to go and shoot those cats. They're just doing their thing. I guess it might be a different story if it was my family member or something. Hmmm.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Phi.Design said:
Lucky for the old guy, but I don't think its right to go and shoot those cats. They're just doing their thing. I guess it might be a different story if it was my family member or something. Hmmm.
I'm a full fledged vegetarian tree hugger, but when a mountain lion attacks (or even engages in stalking behavior) of a human it has to go. It's doing something that could not only kill somebody, but it's not a natural behavior for the species. We can argue all day over whether habitat change is causing them to act unnaturally, but these are not natural predators of human beings. And we do have a right to self defense.

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
Allright, I'm not tryin to be the crazy hippie either. But haven't mountain lions always posed threats to people? Pioneers probably feared them too making their westward ho push. Natural behavior for a badass carnivore is to pounce on soft fleshy mammals.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Mountain lions pouncing on people means only one thing

and that's that the lion has lost his fear of humans and will do it again. I'm no animal biologist and I'm no hunter but I have no problem at all of them tracking down these cats like they did. Even if they weren't the same cats (which is highly unlikely) I still would have no problem with it. In a town near where I live a cat actually pounced on a kid walking with a group of adults! They tracked it down just like they did above and shot it. The only feeling I had when I heard they'd done this is relief because that's at least one more cat I myself don't have to worry about pouncing on me when I'm hiking that same trail.

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
<hippie>I just hope that one of the two they killed for this is the culprit. It'd be a shame if they went out and wasted two mountain lions that had nothing to do with this.</hippie>

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
From Santa Rosa Press Democrat

Lioness that was killed linked to man's mauling

By ASSOCIATED PRESS

A female mountain lion that game wardens shot and killed after a 70-year-old man was mauled in a state park had human blood in her claws, state wildlife officials said Friday.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070127/NEWS/70127003/1033/NEWS01#more

The lioness was one of two mountain lions, the other a male, that were hunted down in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park following the attack that severely injured Fortuna resident Jim Hamm on Wednesday.

Hamm was saved when his wife, Nell Hamm, 65, clubbed the lion with a stick as it pinned him to a hiking trail with his head clenched in its jaws. The lion eventually released him and the couple walked back to the head of the trail where a ranger called for help.

Officials conducted necropsies on the dead animals to make sure they got the lion that attacked Hamm and to find out if it had rabies, said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game.

Based on the results, they are confident the lion involved in the attack is not still roaming the park and that Hamm was not exposed to rabies, Martarano said. They also suspect the two young adult lions, which appeared to be between two and three years old, were siblings.

Hamm, who was partially scalped in the mauling and suffered deep cuts and puncture wounds all over his body, remained hospitalized in fair condition Friday, said Tom Ayotte, a spokesman for Arcata's Mad River Community Hospital.

The couple's ordeal and its comparatively happy ending have made the Hamms, who will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on Feb. 9, minor celebrities. They are scheduled to appear on the "Today" show Monday morning live from the hospital.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Remember the story of the woman on the MTB who was attacked and saved by her riding buddy? The cat pounced on her as the pair came upon an abandoned bike in the trail. The bike's owner was found 100+ yds away in the brush and had been partially eaten by the same cat the previous day. Once they learn to prey on humans, we're an easy target.

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
Well at least it was the right cat. I guess the other kitty was guilt by association. I remember a story from way back, in British Columbia, a mother was hiking with her two kids and they were attacked and the mom died fighting off the cat but saved her two children.

I think my HK .45 will fit in my camel back "pump-port".

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,553 Posts
xcguy said:
and that's that the lion has lost his fear of humans and will do it again.
It's called survival, and it's natural.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Phi.Design said:
Well at least it was the right cat. I guess the other kitty was guilt by association. I remember a story from way back, in British Columbia, a mother was hiking with her two kids and they were attacked and the mom died fighting off the cat but saved her two children.

I think my HK .45 will fit in my camel back "pump-port".
Concealing your weapon might mean your life. If you get attacked by a lion you will be lucky enough to have time to grab something from your hip or handlebars (if you are still on your bike). A better idea would be a sizable knife (or gun if you want to do some time picking up trash on freeways or cooling your heels in jail) strapped somewhere on your side or on the handlebars. I like the Benchmade Nimravus, but can't afford it at this moment.

Of course, if it is somebody else who is attacked, a concealed handgun would be much nicer, as long as you don't miss the cat and hit his intended meal. If that happened you might want to let the cat finish the job. :nono:

·
less is more
823 Posts
If you get attacked by a Mountain Lion, Florida Panther, etc. consider yourself honored. These beautiful cats are all but extinct & you must have been invading their territory. Just punch um in the nose & they will run.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Tell that to Scott Lancaster

venus1 said:
If you get attacked by a Mountain Lion, Florida Panther, etc. consider yourself honored. These beautiful cats are all but extinct & you must have been invading their territory. Just punch um in the nose & they will run.
There's a bridge outside Idaho Springs, Colorado dedicated to the memory of Scott Lancaster, an 18 year old who was killed by a mountain lion while jogging near his home town. Maybe he had time to do something in his defense, maybe he punched the cat in the nose, maybe the cat just pounced on him from behind with a death grip on Scott's neck and he never knew what hit him. I don't think honored was how he felt at the time.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.