173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Mountain Klein 1985, red
ident# 2M1AC
size 23", 12.5 kg
fork Klein chromed steel SunTour dropouts

stem SunTour XC
handlebars Nitto riser, alu
headset Shimano 600 HP-6207(star fish type nut)
Tange Supple Grips
Cinelli Unicanitor, brown suede with Logos
seatpost SunTour XC, ø27,2mm
crankset Shimano 600 EX New Triple FC-6206, Biopace, 180mm
pedals SunTour XC Compe
frontbrake Shimano Deore BR-M700 Deer Head (searching for a black one)
rear brake SunTour XC Rollercam
brake levers Shimano Deore BL-M700 Deer Head
hubs SunTour Cyclone, black anodized
Araya RM25, hard anodized
Shimano 600 6-speed threaded freewheel
rear derailleur Shimano 600 EX New RD-6207 (short cage)
front derailleur SunTour XC (black/silver)
thumbshifters Shimano Deore SL-M700 Deer Head (friction), black

Yes, with internal routing

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
Beautiful pics.

I really want more info on the geology of that stream bed though. That's some crazy rock! Looks like a solid bed of conglomerate, that has been worn into it's current state by the water's action?

Very cool looking. Where is that?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
richieb said:
I did see on hiccup...racing shoes on a technical riding bike...that's a no no!!!
Lots of guys wore road shoes on the mtb. The world championships were won on LOOK road pedals and shoes in 89. I had some Specialized "mtb" shoes, circa 1989 maybe, that were pretty much road shoes except for some slight rubber pads glued onto the plastic soles. They even had the slotted cleat screwed onto the bottom.

Those kinda look like 'cross shoes anyway, but hard to tell.

Edit: The shoe Lisa has on the cover shot is the shoe I'm talking about:
http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Specialized/Spec.Bikes90.pdf

and many people don't realize, but the M735 pedal was specifically reshaped to allow use of the slotted road cleat. But then came SPD pedals and that all went away very quickly.

·
artistic...
7,634 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Beautiful pics.

I really want more info on the geology of that stream bed though. That's some crazy rock! Looks like a solid bed of conglomerate, that has been worn into it's current state by the water's action?

Very cool looking. Where is that?:thumbsup:
that's switzerland. and they have a strong currency on top of that. :thumbsup:

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
My point, actually, was that the Mountain Klein was designed as a technical trail bike, not a high speed, race-style bike. Needs some Axo boots or early Specialized dirt dogs...

just being a pain in the ar$e, that's all...

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
richieb said:
My point, actually, was that the Mountain Klein was designed as a technical trail bike, not a high speed, race-style bike. Needs some Axo boots or early Specialized dirt dogs...

just being a pain in the ar$e, that's all...
what makes it a technical trail bike vs a mountain bike?

Somewhere I've seen a version that Klein sold with the MountainKlein frame that was a full on race bike. Drop bars, Huret RD, Hi E hubs, a very light and fast XC race weapon. I betcha Carsten has seen that...

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:

Somewhere I've seen a version that Klein sold with the MountainKlein frame that was a full on race bike. Drop bars, Huret RD, Hi E hubs, a very light and fast XC race weapon. I betcha Carsten has seen that...
The 87's came with Mission control bars, or at least mine did. One of the two I had to sell went to Switzerland. My 87 is certainly not a trail bike but the 86 with bullmoose bars I had was much more stable.

·
Proud 2 Times BOTM Looser
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fillet-brazed said:

The Mountain Race see also the spec further up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.